I HATE San Francisco in Fallout 2

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Lanius, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Lanius

Lanius Monster of the East

Oct 31, 2010
    Yes, "hate" might be strong word, but it is like it is.
    I always HATED San Francisco in Fallout 2. It just didn't fit in, in my opinion. The artwork, the buildings, the streets. I don't know. It's too clean. It never looked like a part of the Fallout 2 world.
    I also HATED what the Shi looked like. The models used for them. It's just... not Fallout. If you know what I mean.

I DID like the tanker though! Because that's what Fallout looks like. Dilapidated, dirty, damaged.

2. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    I can't understand.

3. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    He's saying the tanker fit in with the Fallout theme, but the rest of San Francisco did not fit.

I didn't hate the place, but it did stray from the formula. Karate fighters? An emperor? Come on. China was a communist state. And they turned the Chinese into some Jackie Chan clowns.

4. woo1108

Sep 27, 2012
    what I can't under stand is "Fallout is dirty and damaged"
    vaults are clean not dirty.

5. Languorous_Maiar

Languorous_Maiar A Smooth-Skin

Oct 25, 2011
    SF is bad in one thing especially - technology.
    You could buy power armor, gauss rifle or jet cure in some shop. BoS would destroy such place in first place.
    I really hope it get nuked by Enclave after FO2, even in FNV we didn't got any reference about SF and NCR is not using any tech from it.

6. woo1108

Sep 27, 2012
    It was just ridiculous.
    If SF already sells antidote, why we have to find the way to
    make it?
    If my memory is correct, rivet city also sells power armor though everything in fo3 is just POS.

I guess Languorous_Maiar said what Lanius want to say.
    for aspect of over technology, SF is bad work.
    it's reasonable reason. and I agree
    but hate SF because it's clean isn't good reason to me.

7. Izual

Izual Pipe rifle & chopsticks

Sep 18, 2009
    The real problem about SF (which is why it looks so "clean") is that it is poorly detailed. Maybe they rushed it at the end of the development process, but the city didn't get much love compared to the walls and the level of details of other towns, like New Reno.

8. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Even though I'd like to see them thrive, just for the sake of it, being able to find jet cure there is really disrupting IMO. Far more than anything else, since there is a quest to find out about it, like being REALLY bleeding edge, you actually help to invent it, and somehow it's magically in San Fran in shops. WUT?

Fully agree, it's really a lazy reason to hate it. Considering they seem to have a real organization there (disrupting, but seemingly well structured and thought), it makes sense it's not the classic dirty town in Fallout 1 and 2.

9. Matthews

Matthews It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2012

10. Sephis

Sephis It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 29, 2010
    The guys on the tanker are better equipped than some Enclave soldiers.

11. Languorous_Maiar

Oct 25, 2011
    Erm, no?
    I didn't saw any PA in their hands, + they have 2 gauss rifles, but while taking into account that all soldiers in Oil Rig with old PA have it too, I wouldn't say they're better equipped. (it's like saying NCR guys are better equipped because they also have 2 gauss rifles)

12. Mohamed2001

Mohamed2001 HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jan 28, 2013
    It was supposed to get nuked in Van Buren.

13. Sephis

Sephis It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 29, 2010
    By the radioactive artillery or an actual bomb?

14. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    The Enclave thought that whoever destroyed their Oil Rig was from San Fran, so they nuked it via a bomb.

More about it in the Vault Wiki.

15. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Alpharius oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010

Where did you find this information?
    I can't find it on the official page, and the language used in the sentence you quoted does not seem a proper one, usually employed for articles.

If I'm not wrong, you can revisit San Fran in post-end gameplay of F2...meaning it is not nuked.

Also, there is no mention of any sort by NCR soldiers in FNV regarding San Fran, and I imagine that an event such as a nuclear detonation would be worth a mention.

I also doubt that Enclave has nuclear weapons at their disposal and that nuking an entire city solely on an assumption of Chosen One coming from there is a viable option...even for the Enclave.
    After all, they wouldn't waste their resources just like that.

16. Languorous_Maiar

Oct 25, 2011
    I wrote about SF-being-nuked in Wiki article.
    Here reference:
    http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=1&showentry=151|Page

In post-end gameplay of F2 you don't have ANY outcomes of your actions. (only few dialogues in Vault City and New Reno)

Learn lore, seriously. Enclave thought that Shi destroyed Oil Rig, and it's totally logical. (shi having better tech than anyone not counting Enclave themselves)

Don't get me wrong, but Cathedral got nuked and anyone is telling you about it in F2/FNV.
    Oil Rig was also nuked, and only Enclave personel and participant of nuking can mention that.
    IF SF got nuked, who would propagate that information? Mhm, NCR, which has ZERO contact with SF? Interesting.

Considering 90+% of Enclave population disappeared in few seconds, issuing a death sentence for entire Enclave, I don't see point, why they shouldn't take their revange.

Ofc. nothing is certain. SF maybe got nuked (at least get in Van Buren), maybe not. However, it would be better for Fallout lore if that happened.

17. Makta

Makta The DICKtator

Jul 29, 2010
    Haven't been playing unmodded for a long long time but i'm pretty sure you can't buy power armor in rivert city. And if you could it may have to do with them dealing with the BOS compared to SF where you have a single guy sneaking around his bunker :wink:

18. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    I -NEVER- found ANY Power Armor in SF in FO2.

I got PA from the following:

[spoiler:6040f2a544]1 - APA - Navarro

2 - T-51B - Army Base

3 - T-51B - BOS Safehouse

4 - APA MK2 - Oil Rig.[/spoiler:6040f2a544]

I also found only 1 PA in Rivet City, but it was in a very very very very poor condition.

19. Languorous_Maiar

Oct 25, 2011
  20. Mohamed2001

Jan 28, 2013
    Just checked - Lao Chou has one, very expensive though. Mai Da Chiang doesn't for me.