IGN's Top 100 RPG list is Pretty Stupid

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Yellow

Yellow It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 23, 2007
    I agree with TorontRayne. I have been reading nma-fallout for over 5 years now and you guys, along with a couple other websites like rpg-codex have the best eye for picking out the top seminal, groundbreaking RPGs.

The only thing I would caution when making a list would be to clearly narrow down the standard for what games are chosen and what games are not chosen. Will it only be a list of western RPGs? What will make one RPG appear higher on the list than another RPG, or even appear at all?

Maybe use things like influence on the wRPG genre, ability to master the different elements of an RPG (story, characters, etc.) and originality/novelty as your criteria.

Does anyone else agree with me? C'mon guys, I know you could make a better list! Let's see it! :)

2. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    We wouldn't even make it to 20 RPG before discussions get derailed into "which gaem is worse and why?!?!" :P

Besides, what would such a list achieve? What is the actual use for that?

3. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Nobody would 100% agree on such a list anyway.

4. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    It could be done, provided the list is not numbered and the order is randomized.

5. donperkan

donperkan Vault Senior Citizen

Aug 4, 2011
    The popcorn is standing by, let the games begin.

I learned to ignore ign and the likes a long time ago.

6. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    IGN hardly surprises me anymore, it's pretty obvious that they are downright incompetent and commercialy subjective. I couldn't care less for that, if they wouldn't be such a big "force" that lends it's "wisdom" to millions of followers, and thus making the situation even more grim for the likes of us. The new generations of gamers are growing up with false views and trends, thus pushing the whole industry into a fucking cryostasis of creativity and freedom.

As someone else suggested, i think it would be interesting to see a similar list from nma, just done in a professional thought-over manner, if only to counterballance the stupidity coming from all these gaming sites.

7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I don't know about that. Look at the comments (moderated of course). IGN know their audience. Their selection of these games is there to basically stroke off their 14-year-old fans and to keep the big publishers happy (lol Skyrim 6th best RPG of all time) so they can keep getting that exclusive coverage for another year.

Still, their placement of Ultima VII is a motherfucking sin. Only the most influential computer RPG in history, which defined conventions in storytelling, dialogue systems, quest design, user interface, controls, graphics perspective and combat for decades to come, and whose influence is still being felt in modern titles? Eh, you played it, Jess? What about you Charles? Fuck it, let's just throw it in around 50 or so, Wikipedia says it's important and we can't just put every single Pokemon game on here.

The Mario RPG games are actually really fucking good, and I'd say any top 100 RPGs list deserves to have at least one on it (though maybe no more). I'd rate at least a couple of them above something like Dragon Age if we're talking pure design craft and quality.

fffffffffffffffffffff

Fuck Final Fantasy VI. It's a decent game for its era but I fucking hate the amount of bullshit undeserved praise it gets. People love it for one reason - nostalgia. They like the music and the art style. That's it. The gameplay isn't bad by any stretch, and they had some cool innovations like characters with unique ability types, the Esper system, etc. and the boss fights were fun, but other than that there's nothing special about it other than the fact that it came out around the time that many now-adults were just getting into RPGs and gaming for the first time (much like Final Fantasy VII being the Playstation generation's introduction to RPGs).

By any modern standard the game is loaded with poor writing and storytelling, and is utterly terrible about communicating essential information on how to advance the story. Many objectives are completely nonsensical or rely on sheer trial and error/dumb luck to complete. I've come back to it a few times over the years and have never finished it because all the filler and the directionless, meandering story fail to keep me engaged for any length. I'll easily take any of the early Final Fantasy games, Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana etc. over Final Fantasy VI - not only have they aged better, but they are just much better games.

Final Fantasy VI topping the list really is just a tacit admission by IGN that they care nothing for integrity and critical thought about games and are just there to beat off the fans (and themselves). It's like awarding the "best shooter of all time" medal to Call of Duty 2.

8. Courier

Courier Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Apr 10, 2011
    I wasn't even aware that the Pokemon games were classified as RPG's.

Also there's a lot of weird shit on this list. They've got Oblivion but no VtM:B? Fucking hell, Oblivion is notorious for being near unplayable without mods.

I do remember really enjoying Superstar Saga, not sure if I've played any other Mario RPG's though.

9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Well there are lots of personalziation for each creature thanks to mechanics introduced since the GBA era, and has a stron competitive scene.

On the other hand well the games all have the same plot and are very linear. And Black and WHite introduced the worst mechanic ever, Reliance on a facebook knock off for kids to use legaly some of the new mechanics and some of the old ones too.

10. Yellow

Yellow It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 23, 2007
    Of course there would be disagreements, such is the nature of said lists.

As another user suggested, the list would not have to be numbered. People would still disagree over which RPGs should appear on the list but this could be remedied by a simple vote.

What would a list achieve? It would achieve the insertion of a counter-opinion to IGN's stupid list into the community of online gamers. It would be a more concrete, poignant and tangible way of saying to IGN, "hey, we disagree with you".

Isn't that worth it? To me it is. RPGs are my favorite genre of video games and they fuck it up this badly.

11. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Lists and numerical scores are the crutches of mediocrity.

12. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that list just gave me a brain tumor.

13. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    Once again guys, we should do this. It doesn't have to be numbered, can actually be done right for once, and will say "fuck you" to crappy gaming sites like IGN. I'll make a thread for it if we have to. Walpknut, quit being such a "Gloomy Gus". :wink:

It's more of a statement than anything else.

WHO'S WITH ME!? :D

Tagaziel back me up here. You can make things happen.

14. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Me! Shining Force plz

15. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

Shining Force is badass. I liked part two better though. If we do this we might want to narrow down sequels to a minimum - instead of having 12 FF games, 6 Might and Magic titles, etc...maybe just list the top few?

16. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Jesus fucking Christ, that little description for Fallout 3 and the fact that the top 10 is filled with crappy JRPGs makes me think that they got a bunch of kids from the anime club to stop watching Magical Girl Shining Fantasy Dildo Patrol and write this.

17. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Magical Girl Shining Fantasy Dildo Patrol is a timeless classic, thank you very much

:shock: Rlly? I never got around to playing it yet. Yay Genesis/Megadrive Classics packs

18. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    Back when IGN used to not completely suck, they slotted Wasteland in at #24 in their Top 25 PC Games of All Time List.

But since then a bunch of XBox and PS3 fanboys(*) are now running the site so everything is definitely very console-focused. Which is too bad. I really did used to enjoy reading IGN. Oh well. :(

(*Full Disclosure: I am a total PS3 fanboy. :p)

Also, Pokemon is very much definitely an RPG. There are some incredibly deep RPG mechanics at work behind the scenes in that game.

19. Goral

Goral It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 5, 2008
    Yay for NMA list of RPGs. RPG Codex will surely repost it so it won't go unnoticed. As for this list I haven't even clicked on the link, I don't want to improve their stats so they could bring more of this shit in the near future.

20. consortium11

consortium11 First time out of the vault

May 5, 2012
    I can certainly see a case for looking at Pokemon style games as RPGs.

Admittedly I've only played the Blue/Red/Yellow era game but the essence of that is wandering around a map with a group of "characters" under your command, each of whom level up from fighting in turn-based battles and can be (to some extent) customised. There are a number of "safe haven" locations where you rest and buy supplies and chests (or the like) that can be opened in the "wild" areas where each step runs the risk of an enemy spawning an attacking and collecting Pokemon themselves takes the place of loot gathering.

Simplistic, yes... but close enough to certain (generally "old-school") RPGs that I don't think it's completely out of place to include it there.