In The Workshop with Christopher Frederic Avellone

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tagaziel, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    As part of their ongoing In The Workshop series, Koobismo has interviewed Christopher Frederic Avellone. Almost an hour in length, the interview covers a great many subjects, from Obsidian and Mr Avellone's work, to his convention life and Kickstarter.

Among other things, Mr Avellone details how he got work at Interplay (referred to it by a pen-and-paper RPG company, who got 300$ worth of games in return), offers advice on writing for games (smart writing and logical choices made by characters are good), discusses his present and past game projects, what IPs he'd like to work with and more.

Particularly interesting are questions related to Fallout: New Vegas and Obsidian. Mr Avellone mentions that some core elements of their Fallout were dictated by the publisher, such as having a signature city (due to the success of Fallout 3, set in Washington DC) and not interfering with the eastern parts of the United States, where Bethesda games take place. Even more interesting is the part where he explains how Obsidian functions. Unlike post-Fargo Interplay, with its tendency to deceive, inveigle and obfuscate its employees, Obsidian maintains transparency, so that company members have a clear picture of the direction it is taking, its current state and can offer feedback to the Powers That Be.

Link: Karissa Barrows and Phil Barrows with Chris Avellone

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Raw list of notes, selected the best for the newspost.

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Whoah. Awesome work, Tagz.

Good stuff.

4. Diospyros

Diospyros First time out of the vault

Jul 15, 2008
    Having a signature city would be consistent with Fallout in general, not just 3. The first Fallout had Los Angeles (even it it wasn't called it by name) and the second one had San Francisco. Heck, even Wasteland had Las Vegas!

5. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    San Francisco is the signature city of FO2? When I think of FO2 I either think of New Reno, or The NCR city.

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Haha, yeah, there's no real way to argue Fallout or Fallout 2 have signature cities. Most of LA is ruins in Fallout and it's never identified by that name, and it's very late-game content. Whereas Fallout 2 has at least 3 major cities, 4 if you count Vault City. So yeah, that argument really doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It's something Bethesda added.

7. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I wouldn't have a problem with a single signature city, if the landscape just wouldn't be so damn compressed. A map-approach similar to Vampire Bloodlines is something I really would love to see in a future Fallout game. That means, a travel map for the city area, where you can jump from location to location, etc. It gives a real sense of scale for the locations, especially if you can see location1 in the distance of location2 and vice versa. Also you wouldn't need to force-fill huge empty or uninteresting areas with random clutter and generic mobs.

Though, we probably will never get that.

8. egalor

egalor Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 20, 2007
    I only know the third one, who are the first two? I think I've missed these names before.

9. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    I'm not sure I understand the question, but that's simply MCA's full name.

See also how in the Wasteland 2 interview here on NMA he used the initials CFA.

10. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Does he want to get away from MCA? :>

11. Borsuk3344

Borsuk3344 First time out of the vault

Nov 9, 2009
    MCA sounds a bit like YMCA, maybe that's the reason

12. marovincian

marovincian First time out of the vault

Aug 28, 2006
    Wasn't MCA one of the Beastie Boys? I always thought that was why people called him that.

13. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Drakensang was like that, and it worked excelent in that game. It gave you a feeling of size without making the content uninteresting which is what happens in my eyes with games that do it like Bethesda where every space has to be filled somehow.