Fallout Tactics utility Item Descriptions

LeoArcticaa

Nub Youtuber and Artist
Hey everyone.

I'm new here but its cool to be here ^^

I have a little problem thats been bugging me for a while now.

I've been using the Fallout Tactics Editor to make my own characters, items, weapons ect ect ect.

It's all working good but I dunno how to add item/character descriptions like you see in the main game. I tried clicking on the blank paper thing that appears in the middle of the screen when you enter the character screen, under the tag skills.

And I really hate the fact that I dunno how to do this (I like giving descriptions on everything I make in a RPG :p)

I have searched the editor and the net to best of my ability but I see no option or anything to click on to start adding text to my creation.

Could someone give a nub modder some pointers on how to do this? :P

And before anyone says, I did read the Read Me for the editor, so unless im blind and noob XD, I cant find any instructions on how to add text to entities.

Hi there! Here is your anwser :

Prefab characters, recruits and all other characters

File : core/locale/game/characters.txt

Look for something like this :
Code:
name_prefab1             = {Mara}
desc_prefab1             = {This is the prefab character description, with her bio and stuff.}

IMPORTANT : the name "prefab1" is taken from the character entity. Inside Entity editor, you find it under the text zone "Name - Display Name". Leave the second text blank (customName) or it will not work properly.

Items, weapons, any object
File : core/locale/game/items.txt

Look in the list for something like this, very similar to name and description of characters :
Code:
name_superitem                                    = {Thing}
desc_superitem                                    = {Thing that do not present much interest.}

AGAIN : The label names of items are saved in the entity. Inside Entity editor, you find it under the text zone "Name - Display Name". In this case : "superitem". Leave the second text blank (customName) or it will not work properly.

Thats cool thanks bud ^^

Ill tinker around and try that out. I'll yell if it works or not :P or If I fuck up XD

Last edited:
Hi there! Here is your anwser :

Prefab characters, recruits and all other characters

File : core/locale/game/characters.txt

Look for something like this :
Code:
name_prefab1             = {Mara}
desc_prefab1             = {This is the prefab character description, with her bio and stuff.}

IMPORTANT : the name "prefab1" is taken from the character entity. Inside Entity editor, you find it under the text zone "Name - Display Name". Leave the second text blank (customName) or it will not work properly.

Items, weapons, any object
File : core/locale/game/items.txt

Look in the list for something like this, very similar to name and description of characters :
Code:
name_superitem                                    = {Thing}
desc_superitem                                    = {Thing that do not present much interest.}

AGAIN : The label names of items are saved in the entity. Inside Entity editor, you find it under the text zone "Name - Display Name". In this case : "superitem". Leave the second text blank (customName) or it will not work properly.

Hey bud, thanks for the tip, but one question, do I need to add my custom character to the list in order to put my description in? Or are you saying to use the prefab1 file to MAKE a new character in the editor, save it, change the description in the file then save it in the recruits folder?

Sorry im a noob >P

Hey bud, thanks for the tip, but one question, do I need to add my custom character to the list in order to put my description in? Or are you saying to use the prefab1 file to MAKE a new character in the editor, save it, change the description in the file then save it in the recruits folder?

Sorry im a noob >P

If you want to have a custom main character and still have a description, I'm afraid that you will have to mod all its data beforehand as, let's say, prefab1, then click "TAKE" when starting to play. You just can't use "MODIFY" or "CREATE" buttons because if you do, your character's description will automatically be ereased by the game code.

Also, you'll need a portrait to go along with it. You know how to assign a character to a portrait when modding? Just name a .zar portrait file by your display name and it will work. Like "prefab1.zar" in core/gui/char

If you want to have a custom main character and still have a description, I'm afraid that you will have to mod all its data beforehand as, let's say, prefab1, then click "TAKE" when starting to play. You just can't use "MODIFY" or "CREATE" buttons because if you do, your character's description will automatically be ereased by the game code.

Also, you'll need a portrait to go along with it. You know how to assign a character to a portrait when modding? Just name a .zar portrait file by your display name and it will work. Like "prefab1.zar" in core/gui/char

Ah I see. Ok i'll give that a go ^^ thanks much bud.

Back