Last book you bought

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Tagaziel, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    What's the last book you bought?

Mine is Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert. As a Dune junkie, I just have to complete my collection, with a rerelease in a golden cover, with art done by one of the more intriguing Polish artists.

I'm also finishing up Butlerian Jyhad, which, while not as good as the originals, is still a fascinating take on the universe. I love how it manages to convey the scale of the war with Omnius, whilst focusing on individuals.

It's simply lovely.

2. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    I bought roughly all of the Dune Books from both Herbert and son, but I don't know if I'll ever read the ones by son.

As for most recent was Snow Crash (reading now) and Fall of Hyperion, which I just finished and think it was one of the best conclusions to a story I've ever read.

3. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    Bought Earth Abides, Herbert's Destination: Void, and William Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive for a buck a pop at an awesome used book store in the area.

I can't stand those Dune spin-offs though. They fail even as Dune-lite, which in and of itself is just wrong. I could tolerate that first prequel trilogy, but just wait until you read the Battle of Corrin. That's a fucking B-O-M-B of the highest caliber. It goes beyond Herbert & Anderson, who edits that shit? Hugely disappointed by Hunters of Dune or whatever they called Dune 7.

I'm done with those jokers, they're at the point now, after the prequels, the pre-prequels and the finale-quels that they just look for 2 week gaps between the previous books and hamfistedly cram another novel in. Milking it dry...

4. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    The last book I've bought was a cheap pocket of "Walden & Other Writings" by Thoreau that I bought only because it contained the text "Life Without Principle" which I had not read ever before.

The text was worth the couple of euros. I love Thoreau.

5. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Players Option: Combat and Tactics for AD&D. Well it is a book. :wink:

6. CloudlessDruid

CloudlessDruid Not a Soviet Droid Orderite

Oct 11, 2008
    The Communist Manifesto, by Marx & Engels

I have read it already, but I wanted to have it

7. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
  8. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
  9. Panker_u_sakou_starom

Panker_u_sakou_starom It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 16, 2009
    "Short history of time" by Stephen Hoking and "To save Tanelorn" by Michael Moorcock

10. Dead Guy

Dead Guy Senate Board Director oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 9, 2008
    The Necronomicon.

Can't believe I found it, really, as there are only three copies in the world. The fools let me have it for £20.

11. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    "Discourse analysis" by Brian Paltridge. Turned out to be a bit too basic for my needs, unfortunately.

12. Blakut

Blakut Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 9, 2008
    Quantum Mechanics - Cohen Tannoudji.

I need it for my god damned class or else i am afraid of failure...

Payed 200 bucks for the damned things...

13. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    You should have double slitted the books before you paid for them, that way you could have saved on the waves and you would have only had to pay for the particles.

Just saying.

I do all my shopping that way.

8-)

14. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    A five-novel Philip K. Dick compilation.

15. Eyenixon

Eyenixon Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 11, 2008
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, he's easily becoming my favorite American author.

16. mobucks

mobucks woof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    The Road

haha looke at me im so cool i dont use punctuation give me nobel prize

edit: removed ! from end of sentence.

On one of the fear channels a science!tist said basicly we could all be some aliens MMO. Or us from the future playing ourselves in a MMO. Quantum Physics yeA!

17. Murdoch

Murdoch Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Nov 24, 2003
    Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Lewis. Ever since I saw the films on cable I've wanted to read the series.

18. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 15, 2008
    Euh...I don't have a 'last book' I bought, I've got a last shipment.

Frederick C. Lane, Profits from Power: Readings in Protection Rent and Violence-Controlling Enterprises.

Aaron J. Gurjewitsch, Mittelalterliche Volkskultur

Peter Biller, The Measure of Multitude: Population in Medieval Thought.

All study related, though none of them are mandatory.

19. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    You mean C.S. Forester not C.S. Lewis, don't you?

If you like the Hornblower novels, don't miss the Aubrey/Maturin "Master and Commander" novels by Patrick O'Brian. They're incredible.

20. I_eat_supermutants

I_eat_supermutants Vault Senior Citizen

Feb 5, 2007
    The Long Walk by Stephen King.

Ya know for a book about 100 teenagers walking to their death there is a ton of ejaculation, shitting, pissing, puking and blue ball references.

Still a good book though. The Bauchman years are long past though. I don't think he mentions seminal fluids anymore.