Nonsensical Elements in Fallout 3

Crni Vuk said:
a guard for example doing "guard things" like using their armor (which only works with cheats I think)

I know that this is unbelievably off-topic, but I'm pretty sure that I got guard armor throughout the game with no cheating.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
tnu said:
It’s not like i'm saying people should be forced to take that path but is it so horrible to have the option to do so if one so desired?

Frankly yes, unless you put a casual/noob/easy/whatever mode. Trying to balance both gameplay philosophies at once is very hard, if not impossible. Someone said "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".

It was Bill Cosby.

I feel that it is quite possible to make everyone happy in a video game. They just have to make the differences between the difficulty modes more severe. First, design the game for Very Hard. Design it in such a way that the playtesters are truly struggling to get through the game so that arriving at 'The End' requires a combination of cunning, planning & luck. Once that is accomplished, design backwards from there, where each drop in difficulty adds more ammuniton & medicines, offers more XP and/or skill points per level and weapons/armour are found in superior condition.

A player who enters the world on Very Easy would find their character with near perfect armour, the vendors selling the best weapons and their character reaching 100 across their skills by level 30. Nothing in the Wasteleand would be able to touch them anymore.

Conversely, Very Hard will always require a thorough, pre-planned path to acheive the character type you were aiming for as you will have AT BEST 3 Skills (likely your tagged skills) at 100 with your next bests arriving in and around 50 - 60. To deepen the specialization, the thresholds for Perks will be much higher on Very Hard - railroading the player to commit to a style of play or suffer the consequences.

Ideally, this would allow the designers to do away with 'Casual' mode completely so that they could focus their attention on perfecting Hardcore mode for the players who choose 'Very Hard'. Maybe if it wasn't too difficult to add in, design a new options 'checklist' for players to customize their game better: ammo with or without weight? God-like VATS mode? Thirst meter? Hunger? etc. Personally, I don't give a shit about Casual mode, but it speaks to my 'pleasing everyone is possible' that I started with.

That's actually a damn good idea you should send it to some3 developters I'd love a modular options menu in such a way.

I don't know i just have little patiance for difficulty but I enjoy alot of the gameplay and depth of RPGs and Action RPGs in perticular. Not to say I don't enjoy other RPGs I'm fine with some of the "limiting" elemetns in KOTOR games for example I LOVED KOTOR II but in an open game like the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games part of the fu n is maxing yoru stats and eventually reachign perfection. and if you don't have that it becoems a sort of "what's the point" to me making a game harder does not increas its replay value it just makes it frustrating. I tend to give up REALLY easily thats why I havn't gotton back to old fashioned Sidescrollers. Am I a horrible person for having these prefrences? a horrible uneducated peice of trash? I get the impression thats what you all think. Also I don't see why I should have to compremise my charectre build or be forced sutck with one charectre build because I don't like the idea of lugging ammo and meds.

Why someone even bothers complaining about "hardcore"-mode? I hardly noticed the whole thing in NV after realising there was even more loot lying around than in F3. But seriously, tnu, work on that grammar if you hate being treated as uneducated asshole. These forums are crowded with elitist polish FO-nerds thirsting for your blood.

Crni Vuk said:
Yes, but it can be somewhat (miss)used on games like Oblivoin where some people find it funny to "roleplay" a guard for example doing "guard things" like using their armor (which only works with cheats I think) and walk around the towns at night with a torch light. THing is just that for the game this has no meaning what so ever as the game will never register or see you as town guard. So you just "pretend" to be in that role.

The correct term is "play pretend". It's rather sad to publicly admit they play pretend in a computer role playing game and call that "roleplaying".

I am calling it "imagination games". Oblivion is only a great game if you imagine yourself every shit. Like you wrote, pretending / imagining to be a guard and running around with a torch in the night. There was even some wiki page about it in some TES wiki. It's so stupid, my brain can't fit it.

/Edit: Found it.

Lexx said:
I am calling it "imagination games". Oblivion is only a great game if you imagine yourself every shit. Like you wrote, pretending / imagining to be a guard and running around with a torch in the night. There was even some wiki page about it in some TES wiki. It's so stupid, my brain can't fit it.

Pahahahaha! Thanks for that, it's comedy gold!!! "Take off your shoes when you enter your house." AHAHAHA!

"f you are role-playing a job for which you should be paid, you can receive your pay in multiple ways:

* Pickpocket your pay from the person you're dealing with.
* Duplicate items to then sell for your pay "

Oh my god, I cant take any more.

It was posted at The Vault first, but got deleted very fast.

Wow, those are some amazing ideas.

when you get mother ship of zeta expansion, you can get an astronaut suit and you must get alien weapons ONLY...... you gotta throw away your normal weapons and keep alien weapons. STORY: Your grandparents betrayed the aliens 400 years ago, they went to earth and body snatched 2 people on earth and separately and secretly gave birth to your mom and dad.... they never told them about their true gene pool... until you find the mothership and remember the aliens.

Little Robot said:
Wow, those are some amazing ideas.

when you get mother ship of zeta expansion, you can get an astronaut suit and you must get alien weapons ONLY...... you gotta throw away your normal weapons and keep alien weapons. STORY: Your grandparents betrayed the aliens 400 years ago, they went to earth and body snatched 2 people on earth and separately and secretly gave birth to your mom and dad.... they never told them about their true gene pool... until you find the mothership and remember the aliens.
:wtf: No, seriously, what. The. Fuck.

Threepwood said:
Lexx said:

Pahahahaha! Thanks for that, it's comedy gold!!! "Take off your shoes when you enter your house." AHAHAHA!

"f you are role-playing a job for which you should be paid, you can receive your pay in multiple ways:

* Pickpocket your pay from the person you're dealing with.
* Duplicate items to then sell for your pay "

Oh my god, I cant take any more.

Welcome to the future of roleplaying ...

Lexx said:

Ofcourse most of the stuff what the people do there is ridcolous, but what's wrong with "roleplaying" some small tics and stuff that your character has, even if it is "imaging it"? I'm not speaking about "OMG my character was raised by alienz" ofcourse.

Surf Solar said:
Ofcourse most of the stuff what the people do there is ridcolous, but what's wrong with "roleplaying" some small tics and stuff that your character has, even if it is "imaging it"? I'm not speaking about "OMG my character was raised by alienz" ofcourse.

Nobody is saying anything against "roleplaying minor things". But imagining to be a city guard and running around, even though the game doesn't support this (so you are 100% making shit up) is just bullshit.

Yeah I was more talking about, let's say as example wearing a scarf for the mouth when there is a desert storm etc.. But I see where you're coming from, read the Oblivionarticle now, really a gem of entertaiment. :clap:

Tried to find similar "wonder" about Morrowind and failed. Which is propably a good think since I liked Morrrowind a lot. :wink:

Back