Obsidian to Co-Develop Wasteland 2 if $2.1M is hit

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    I genuienly like Avellone and his Writing, aswell as the new ideas he often tries to push in. But that doesn't mean it's getting automatically good and I don't like to buy the cat in a bag as said before. For example some of his stuff in Alpha Protocol was cringeworthy at best, some persons ridicolous and not really what I would expect out of him.

2. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    people worry too much. this will in no way be an Obsidian game. what I believe they will bring to the table is more good writing (I never doubt Avellone, and other writers on Obsidian are very good as well), more expertise (wether they use the Onyx engine or not, more skilled programmers can't be a bad thing - same goes for other areas) and more room for playtesting. it will still be Fargo's project and if it turns out a buggy mess as some of you expect it will, it would probably have ended up the same without Obsidian's help.

I think Obsidian is a great developer, they're just cursed with little faith from publishers and weak budgets.

3. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    Normally I would agree with your statement but:

Just kidding I'm not pledging crazy amounts of money for a game that may well become the next huge disappointment.

It all sounds pretty great but I'm not getting too excited before I learn more details, see some concept art, screenshots etc,...

4. Kull

Kull First time out of the vault

Mar 18, 2012
    And inExile did games very close to Wasteland or what?

5. Autoduel76

Autoduel76 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 14, 2007
    Read/Respond to my whole post, or don't bother.

I said I didn't want a game that resembles an Obsidian game.

Do you?

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Why is it even a topic? Obsidian's involvement will be in writing and tools. Not programming or core design.

7. Izual

Izual Pipe rifle & chopsticks

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm going to send some (hate? :p)mail to Brian Fargo and wait a bit, and if there's no more news about that, I'll remove my pledge if it reaches the 2.3M goal.

I'll withdraw because I hated Fallout: New Vegas and I think Wasteland 2 having its own entirely fresh team wouldn't hurt.

Though I'm aware I am the 1% here :D So, that was just my 2 cents, enjoy your Wasteland :p

8. Kull

Kull First time out of the vault

Mar 18, 2012
    And I want no Wasteland that resembles Hunted. :P

And as None said it's irrelevant anyway as they don't have an impact on Wasteland 2 in that regard.

9. Autoduel76

Autoduel76 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 14, 2007
    Which again takes me back to my original points. You should read them.

This isn't something to get me excited about.

While everyone here was jumping down my throat, like Oblivion fans were jumping down Fallout fans for on the Bethesda boards, nobody bothered to even note that I didn't say this means the game won't be good. I said multiple times that it doesn't change my pledge, or commitment.

I said I just don't see it as changing things either way (positively, or negatively) and that it doesn't do anything to make me excited. I don't want a game that resembles an Obsidian game, so Obsidian being involved isn't a draw for me. I'm sure others will up their pledge because of this. I'm not one of them.

10. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Well, thanks for letting us know.

11. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    Brian Fargo updated the Kickstarter page

So it looks like he was misquoted before.

12. veryblackraven

veryblackraven The Vault overseer

Jan 11, 2011
    Doubled my pledge. Hope we'll reach $2.1 millions.

13. dev

dev Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 25, 2004
    is there among us any millionaire who loves playing quality rpgs too?

14. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, there is a big Mega Millions jackpot tonight. So we might get a better answer to this question tonight. :p

15. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    I resonate with this statement. I liked F:NV OK, but I don't see myself replaying it. But the real issue is the track record of releasing unfinished games (most of which I have purchased). If their participation is limited to storyline development and so on, I could see how Obsidian could make a positive contribution here. If they are involved beyond that, I too would see it as a negative.

16. Sobboth

Sobboth It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2010
    I don't see how it can't be a bad thing even if you don't like Obsidian games.
    Obsidian has good technological tools i guess and Chris Avellone is a talented designer/writer who has worked on fallout and Planescape .He could add his personal touch but i don't expect him to have a major active role. I hope that wasteland 2 will not be as "mechanical" as FNV in his design though.
    In any case it's something you can dream about :wink:

17. MurkyShadow

MurkyShadow Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 15, 2004
    I think the important point is, members of a band, being on their own
    paths, doing what needed to be done, to get food on the table, now
    rejoining, to do something they like, they want, they love. And that
    be a reason to get excited. :boy:

18. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    I.. I just realized we haven't used this smile.. yet :hatersgonnahate:

Seems pretty appropriate.

19. Nephilim77

Nephilim77 First time out of the vault

May 10, 2008
    alright, finally pledged. drunkenness is a valid excuse for claiming temporary insanity... I hope. Also; I loved the overland map in storm of Zehir. Carry on.

20. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    What a terrible review, you should be ashamed.