Obsidian's Project Eternity

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Sep 10, 2012.

1. RRBM

RRBM First time out of the vault

Jul 28, 2011
    This is going to turn out to be some kind of freaky-deaky high fantasy deconstruction piece, isn't it?

2. FOvet

FOvet Wandering the Wastelands

Aug 26, 2012
    LOL, it might. But even if it is, it could still be good. I love a well-put together fantasy. Elder Scrolls 4, so far, I am finding very fun to play. Also, I am a Tolkien fan, so fantasy is my element (anyone ever read the Chronicles of Elantra? I'm on Cast in Secret, book 4 of the series).

But I don't want a cliche fantasy either. I want to see a new take on fantasy, something different, and also dark and gloomy. In other words, something that has substance to it, a good story, and really pushes the constraints of the tried and true fantasy genre.

3. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    So the number 4, I assume, and hope, is the number of days before we find out about this.

I'm guessing it's their Kickstarter project. Either way, I will get it whatever it is. I buy Obsidian games no questions asked.

4. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    I wonder if this will be the Historical Fiction game Sawyer always wanted to make.

5. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    I am excited already.

6. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    I'm not.

*Slopes back, cool as a cucumber, and lights a cigarette*

Them niggaz ain't gonna be hypin' me up. Dey betta work fo' my paper.

7. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Yes.

8. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Dummy oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Well I guess we don't have long to wait then, but someone already knows. :kharn: :wink:

9. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, glad we got that sorted out. You should tell whatever contacts you have at Obsidian that maybe an actual timer would've been better because starting a single-digit countdown at '4' is a bit confusing for a game announcement.

Unless, of course, that's what they intended and they are sadists. :p

Yet the wait is still killing me. >_<

10. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    Kind of like Atllus and they not showing any character's face on the SMT4 not letting us know if the game is gonna retain Kaneko's artstyle or not.

11. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Or the fact that they're putting the game on a handheld meaning I have to wait even longer for a high-def MegaTen game. >_<

I'm gonna laugh/cry when SMTIV ends up looking worse than Nocturne. A sequel shouldn't be built on weaker technology than it's predecessor. Though, of course, it's happened before. Dragon Age 2 comes to mind. :|

12. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Maybe the fact that high fantasy itself is cliche and stupid

13. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Dummy oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Song of Ice and Fire is not stupid my friend, not stupid at all, in fact you are stupid for thinking such a thing. :wink:

14. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    The 3DS has better technology and shaders than the PS2.

15. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Well...we'll see then. I'm still keeping my expectations low. And I'll definitely be buying a 3DS for it (and that Kingdom Hearts game) eventually.

Meanwhile, I've been going over the text and if it's a Wheel of Time game (based on the Ouroboros logo), they're using terms that are not in any of the books. And, in fact, they're not using the proper word etymology of that world either. The WoT 'alphabet' doesn't include characters like í. There are words that use the ' character to separate portions of words, like Asha'man and da'covale. But no characters that have an accent as part of the character itself. So to me it seems to be a new world of their own creation or Tolkien-inspired or something. Or based on Tolkien itself, but the ouroboros has nothing to do with Tolkien as far as I recall.

16. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Yar, it's amazing what a little lip service can do.

Is too.

17. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    New image on the main page.

And the text embedded in the page source:

18. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Stop trying to figure it out or we will kill you.

Haha :mrgreen:

19. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Someone on the Obsidian forums pointed out that the code in the HTML is different. Not sure that means anything but...

On the first page it was:

And now it is

*shrug*

20. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Not that it'd ever be this, but who owns the rights to Troika's post-apocalyptic IP?
    Seems like it's going to be the Wheel of Time. *shrug* Don't know enough to care much either way.