Fallout 2 mod Olympus 2207 (english translation)

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Keyboard Gecko, Jan 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Keyboard Gecko

Keyboard Gecko Fallout: Nevada translation is out! Look in info.

Jan 15, 2018
    Hello everyone, Keyboard Gecko here. You may know me as the guy who translated Fallout of Nevada. No, the other guy. Yes, really.

In the last year I had several people here showing interest in Olympus 2207 english translation. So, long story short - I'm doing it.

To make things more interesting, I've set up a youtube account, where I'll be periodically putting some teasers about the translation process. Yes, it's gonna be boring as hell. And pretty stupid. But also, you'll see the job being done and maybe drop by to chat a little. Also, if it's fine with moderator team, I'm gonna use this topic for informational purposes.
    So good luck to me, I guess, yay.

Onto the questions!
    Q: Why are you doing it?
    A: Personally I consider Olympus a pretty solid game, although I was never very amused by its dialogues (unlike the FNevada, for example). Still, I had a pretty great time with it, as some of my friends. And almost 7 years have passed since its release, so it would be a shame to have it forgotten, considering amount of work put into it. And no one actually does it, unlike F:sonora, for example. So, why not?

Q: What's the progress report by now?
    A: As of 6.03.2021 it's exactly 60%.

Q: Nah, talkie-talkie project. It won't work out.
    A: We'll see.

Q: What the hell is FNevada?
    A: FFFFFFffffff

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 13
  2. Weyland

Weyland First time out of the vault

Apr 21, 2020
    Good luck, the worst part is translating battlecries, I hate this file:)

3. Oracle

Oracle Vault Senior Citizen

May 19, 2003
    good luck with this endeavor! the OG Fallout modding community never stops to amaze me.

4. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Oct 28, 2009
    good luck withwork on this one..

Unfortuneatly I'm temporarily out.. as far as it goes for any internet activity (translating Sonora included).. some strange twist of fate caused me to shit with blood, so I'm currently in the middle of the process of finding out WTF is going on with me.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    Bloody shit, mate, get well soon!

On a serious note, really, take your time, health is no joke. The translation is not going anywhere, lol.

6. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    On a side note, here's the translation progress. Because it's all about metrics that matters!

Thanks to everyone coming by on twitch, that's actually pretty funny)
    If someone has any suggestions, put them there.

upload_2021-1-11_13-37-32.png

7. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    That's an incredible news.

8. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Was just about to shanghai you starting it, then I've seen your post ^^
    Sadly I missed your stream, but, you got mail, ah.

9. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    Got that)
    I'm doing streams at random, when I'm translating. Really helps to actually do something. I don't know why)

10. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Progress Report:
    The text translation is going steadily. I myself did take a bit of a break and did make some graphics translation work today.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  11. Weyland

Apr 21, 2020
    Awesome work, I have a question for you, all interface elements (Skilldex, craft etc) are in text files or did you edit other files?

12. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    The most are in in text files, but quite a bit are also only graphics, for example many button texts in static menus.

If you want a direct count, it's 43 composed interface buttons (overlayed on top of a static screen, fe. the item hotbar, 2~3 states states per button), 37 static screens, one heck of a custom 26 frames animation and 27 composed custom combat buttons, so that makes it around 133 graphics to edit, not counting the unchanged vanilla fmr's of around 31 Item Interface descriptors (SINGLE, BURST, RELOAD, etc) and the 4 standard elevator graphics that are just exchanged for the US vanilla ones.
    For the more curious, there is a complete list of graphics with text below.

Code:
    Composed Interface Buttons (Normal/Pressed)
    ================================================
    CHADN/UP         "CHA" button on hotbar
    DI_DONE1/2       big chunky "DONE" button
    ENDCMBTD/U       "END" open combat button on hotbar
    ENDTURND/U       "TURN" open combat button on hotbar
    INVBUTDN/UP      "INV"  button on hotbar
    MAPDN/UP         "MAP" button on hotbar
    OPTIDN/UP        "MENU" button on hotbar, has no text in vanilla
    PIPDN/UP         "ORG" button on hotbar, in vanilla called "PIP" ofc

Static Screens (or at least all except the item hotbar and worldmap:
    ================================================
    AUTOMAP          automap screen, "SCANNER" "CANCEL"
    BARTER           normal barter screen, "OFFER" "TALK"
    CALLED           called shot screen, "CANCEL"
    CONTROL          npc control panel, 14 texts on background, buttons composed seperately
    CUSTOM           npc custom combat panel, "DONE", rest of the buttons is composed seperately
    DI_TALK          normal dialog interface "REVIEW" "TRADE"
    DI_TALK2         party dialog interface, "REVIEW" "TRADE" "COMBAT CONTROL"
    EDTRCRTE         create character screen, "ST" "PE" "EN" "CH" "IN" "AG" "LK" "SKILLS" "TAG SKILLS"
    EDTREDT          ingame character screen, "ST" "PE" "EN" "CH" "IN" "AG" "LK" "SKILLS" "SKILLSPOINTS"
    HELPSCRN         everything on the whole help screen (didn't touch the mac version because need to find the correct palette)
    HR_IFACE_800E    high-res item hotbar, "I" "O" "SKILLDEX" "HP" "AC" "CRAFT" (last one is new in olympus), rest are composed buttons
    IFACE_E          normal item hotbar, "I" "O" "SKILLDEX" "HP" "AC" "CRAFT" (last one is new in olympus), rest are composed buttons
    INVBOX           inventory screen, "ARMOR" "ITEM 1" "ITEM 2" "DONE"
    KARMAFDR         "KARMA" tab in character screen, has all 3 tabs in graphic with 1 highlighted
    KILLSFDR         "KILLS" tab in character screen, has all 3 tabs in graphic with 1 highlighted
    LOOT             looting screen, "TAKE ALL" "DONE"
    MOVEMULT         move multiple items screen, "ALL" "OKAY" "CANCEL"
    PERKSFDR         "PERKS" tab in character screen, has all 3 tabs in graphic with 1 highlighted
    PICKCHAR         pick character menu, "TAKE" "MODIFY" CREATE CHARACTER" "BACK"
    PIP              pipboy menu, "ALARM" "STATUS" "MAPS" "ARCHIVES" "CLOSE"
    PREFSCRN         game options screen, the text at the top, nothing in vanilla
    TRADE            npc trade screen, "TRADE" "TALK"
    USE              use item on something screen, "CANCEL"
    WM_*             the text for the worldmap location buttons, in this case 12 entries:
                     "TARTARUS" "METRO ST." "JACKALS" "LIVOS" "RAINBOW" "OASIS"
                     "OLYMPUS" "CANNERY" "ARMY HQ" "PEARSON" "BIOLAB #2" "NWO"
    WMAPBOX          normal worldmap interface, "TOWN / WORLD"
    WMINIFCE2        high-res worldmap interface, "TOWN / WORLD"

So, while I am quite happy with my work, I do hope we can persuate Red888 to either allow us access to the original sources for the graphics (and fonts used), or that he himself would make english versions at some point for the release. Without it, the nasty ones (combat button animation and custom controls) will be quite aggravating (in wich case I would do some complete own ones I guess)^^" /WoT

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    So yeah, the status report! I know that everybody is excited about that.

First of all, I'm joined by Matt_Drax, and he's awesome, and the translation process got faster. If we won't kill each other over the little things, like names and translation details, then the result will be delivered much earlier than I anticipated. So that's great, yay!

Second, we swapped version of game we are translating to, I guess, crazy edition? Or fixed one? I don't know and I'm not sure why. But the amount of dialogue files changed from 174 to a whopping 239, so that's a thing now, I suppose. Oh well.

And again, the stats! (I've spent literally an hour to count it, while I could be making progress in translation, so there. Count it as work done.)

upload_2021-1-31_17-1-26.png

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  14. Oracle

Oracle Vault Senior Citizen

May 19, 2003
    Great works guys, much MUCH appreciated!!

15. Weyland

Apr 21, 2020
    Awesome news. As I remember in 'normal' version there are about 239 dialogue files and in fixed version about 241, but I need to check it.

16. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    And, of course, some fooling around. Or teasers, I dunno

upload_2021-1-31_18-2-45.png

Attached Files:

17. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Yup, it was essentially only one new file from original to fixed edition, and that one is a oneliner. I did even make a diff between the versions and read through all of that, but pretty much everything else was only encoding changes @Foxx made, so I switched our base to FE. I guess @Keyboard Gecko just thought the old Demo/GT files were everything xD

18. Weyland

Apr 21, 2020
    Good to know that, I checked couple of files but all differences were typos, so translation should work with any game edition. You saved me a couple of hours, thanks :D

19. Keyboard Gecko

Jan 15, 2018
    Again, some stats. We are alive and kickin.

upload_2021-2-8_17-9-28.png

Some screens - mostly raider gang named the Sunset Jackals.
    And, of course, a little showcase of the beautiful interface work by Matt Drax.

upload_2021-2-8_17-18-42.png

upload_2021-2-8_17-13-50.png

upload_2021-2-8_17-12-2.png

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  20. Matt Drax

Matt Drax Smart Ass

Sep 4, 2010
    Ahem, only the changes in the translated text stuff, the rest is ofc still red888guns original works ^^"