Post-Apocalyptic books

In case no-one's said it yet- ''The Road''. It had a film adaption released last year so you may have heard of it, but I preferred the book.

Also, if you like zombie apocalypse try the Autumn series, or the ''City of the dead'' books.

Picked up the road based on recommendations from this thread. Very good read. Unusual writing style, but fantastic book.

Apolagise for a) indulging in boarderline thread necomancy b) possibily repeating what has been said before.

I recommend - 'The Day Of The Triffids' by John Wyndham. Forget what you saw on TV, the film was more 'inspired' by this book, not based on it.

The first half is now-standard Zombie film/book fare (run! they want to eat you!) but this so much more than that. The other half shows the years pass, as human numbers dwindle, civilization slowly rusts away and those dammed Triffids just keep breeding. The protaganist (and a couple of other people) are intelligent enough to see ahead - it's not pretty.

The discussions they have in this book about the future would be the same in a plague/zombie/nucalear war scenario.

Read it. When I got it, I couldn't put it down until it was finished.

Don't get Night of The Triffids - it's awful, and kinda stupid in places.

EDIT - It has been mentioned before. I think I sold it better, though.

I do remember reading Plague '99 by Jean Ure, back when I was the geeky kid hiding from the sun, playing Sonic 2. '93? I read alot of kack back then, but I still remember the plot, the title and the author. Perhaps it wasn't that bad.

Someone mentioned Metro 2033 earlier, but they hadn't read it yet so I'll give my views.

Basically, there's been a nuclear war and the survivors of it (those that we know of, anyway) are living in the Moscow Metro. Governments form based on the stations (that is, each station has it's own government, or none, or is in a union with other stations). All kinds of freaky shit going on, currency is bullets and what makes it interesting is that it's good at making you feel what it would be like to live in the metro, but also everyone is getting all superstitious and shit and there could be two explanations for most stuff - whether it's mysticism or science. Some of it is over the top, some interesting topics are barely scratched, but it's kept me engrossed for the last two days where I've read about 350 pages. Think it was also turned into a game or something.

"The Mist" by Stephen King? You mentioned novella. That's the only one I can think of, even though it's absolutely nothing like Fallout. And it might be "During-Apocalyptic" instead of "Post".

Professor Danger! said:
"The Mist" by Stephen King? You mentioned novella. That's the only one I can think of, even though it's absolutely nothing like Fallout. And it might be "During-Apocalyptic" instead of "Post".
Read book one of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's called The Gunslinger. One of the most entertaining PA novels I've ever read.

I read a book some many years back (as part of my schooling...) called brother in the land, and although it may not be the most adult book (aimed at teens/young teens) its a great book that I loved at the time. haven't read it since, not sure how interesting it would be to an adults mind.

The one thing I can say to support it, is that it seems to contain MANY fallout alike situations and reference material.

UniversalWolf said:
Professor Danger! said:
Read book one of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's called The Gunslinger. One of the most entertaining PA novels I've ever read.

Yes. I didn't think of "The Gunslinger". I actually thought that should have stood alone instead of being turned into what turned out to be a highly disappointing series.

Stephen King also had a few apocalyptic short stories in some of his collections, if you want to go that route. I vaguely remember one about the last few people left on earth (some teenagers) hanging out on a beach before they died. I don't remember the name of it though.

UniversalWolf said:
Professor Danger! said:

I'll second that one. When I started reading the book, I immediately thought: "Fallout"

Stephen King is probably one of the best authors in the know universe. As well as HST.

[END OF PROMOTION]

Have you guys heard about "Freeway Warrior" by Joe Dever. This is excellent book with great story, which is created by ... YOU! Yes, it paragraph game with great mechanics and setting. Post nuke war times. You are a member of a survivor convoy striding from the remains of Dallas to the safe enclave of LA. You start with your sturdy roadster, a gun (of your choice) loaded with only few bullets.

MUST for all Fallout fans!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeway_Warrior

RIght now 'm doing Metro 2033 by Dimitry Glukhovsky. Game - Metro 2033 is base on that.
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/dp/0575086246[/url]

cratchety ol joe said:
I read a book some many years back (as part of my schooling...) called brother in the land, and although it may not be the most adult book (aimed at teens/young teens) its a great book that I loved at the time. haven't read it since, not sure how interesting it would be to an adults mind.

The one thing I can say to support it, is that it seems to contain MANY fallout alike situations and reference material.

I read that in school too, found a copy in a school i was working on last year, the teacher didn't mind if i borrowed it (being stunned to find a tradesman who could read, i suppose)... It's definately a book for younger readers, but deals with some interesting issues such as cannibalism, the role of the military in a newly PA environment and the psychological effect it would have on the populace. Bit short and simplistic for a proper read though.

I hear that Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky is a fantastic read, just got a video game adaptation too.

Good Post-Apocolyptic Novel

The Passage, by Justin Cronin.

It's kind of long winded in places, but the book overall is very good.

The setting is that the world has been overrun by pseudo-vampires, created by a military project gone awry.

A pretty good read and a nice change of pace from most "vampire" books, since the focus isn't really on the vampires themselves, but rather on the survivors and their plight.

Just thought I'd share with others who might be interested.

BTW - I'm a long time lurker to the site, even though my post count is tiny. So I'm not someone who is just showing up to promote the book.

Back