Post-Apocalyptic books

TamaNeko

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I'm currently playing Fallout 2, and I'm really in a mood to read a good post-apoc novel, but any recommendations? :wink:

I'd place Stephen King's "The Stand" with the highest recommendations (You can't get any higher than recommendations from Gunslinger). Its 1000+ pages but its an entirely satisfying read. You'll see that the setting is in our own timeline and the entire plot is feasible.

For those of you who bias King, it isn't a horror novel. Its entirely fiction with elements from multiple genres in it. This is my second favorite book by Stephen King, besides The Gunslinger, and it makes you yearn for more of The Stand's world, even after reading its 1000 and some pages.

TamaNeko, if you're a reader, pick up this tome sized book. Its the first book I've read by King and its had me addicted to his other works.

Walter M. Miller, Canticle for Leibowitz & Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman

Simon Clark, Stranger

Orson Scott Card, The Folk of the Fringe

Roger Zelazny, Damnation Alley

Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle, Lucifer's Hammer

Though not all are post nuclear, just post apocalypse.

I just bought "Eternity Road" yesterday at a used book store and have got through the first few chapters. Not bad, its a mixture of Tolkienesque adventure and post-apoc nation building. Oh, the author is Jack McDevitt.

"Earth Abides" by George Stewart is a very good classic. Its a must read for any Fallout fan.

Well...

There's always the post-apocalyptic classic "Day of the Triffids", by so-and-so, though it's not post-nuclear.

And there's that post-nuclear book about that one pilot remaining in a sattelite and this genius man in a wheel-chair...Damn, I wish I could remember the title, it was a good book.

Just read Fjodor Mikaljowitsch Dostojewski already.

Apocalyptic books

Hey all, for my summer reading I picked a book called Alas, Babylon that was described as a Post-Apocalyptic survival book or something of the sort on our book list. So I've been reading the book the past few days and wow... I didn't know summer reading books could be good. So anyways... I was curious if you guys knew of any other, similar books? I've heard of a book called swan song though I couldn't find it in my library, and a book called A Canticle for Lebowitz (sp?) though i never got to read either of em. Which ones have you guys read and what are your thoughts on em?

Eheh no problem, and we have a thread on the topic you made somewhere, but i can`t find it, i`ll try a bit more.

i can recommend the "Dark Tower series by Stephen King" ( specifically book 3 "The Wasteland" for the purpose of this relpy as it is more post apocalypic than the others.. )

I also read a book in school called "children of the dust" or something similar.. very good from what i remember..

And of course there's the all time Stepen King classic, "The Stand".

D.H. Lawrence wrote a small book called 'Apocalypse', but that's more of an essay, than an adventure story. It's about religion and all that...

However, if you really want to read a good book with a post-apocalyptic setting and lots more, I can recommend you 'Slapstick or Lonesome No More' by Kurt Vonnegut (Jr.). This is what the cover says:

"Now, as America collapses into anarchic decline, and pin-size Chinamen pollute the atmosphere, President Wilbur Daffodil-II Swain sits in the ruined remnants of the Empire State Building and tells the extraordinary story of his life and times..."

An awesome book. Actually, everything by Vonnegut is pretty awesome.

There is a book, well more like a compilation of essays rather, called "Our Final Hour" written by esteemed astronomer Martin Rees. I have yet to read it but the New York times has already reviewed it.

It's rather dismal, since the Rees opens by saying that mankind will probably not survive the 21st century. In the book, he goes over different situations ranging from overpopulation to bio-terror. Some of the scenarios are unlikely but a few hit close to home. Sounds like a good read altogether.

Swan Song is by Robert McCammon. It's a horror story. Kind of like the Stand, but shorter.

YOu might also try Nevil Shute's On the Beach.

Vonneigut wrote Galapogos which is about the end of the world.

Harlan Ellison's a Boy and His Dog has a pooch and vaults.

One of my favorites is Lucifer's Hammer- the end of the world is a comit but it's still apocalyptic.

That's "Galápagos" by Vonnegut. Forgot about that one, actually. And now that I come to think about it: if you can read Dutch (which is my first language), you should look for "Tongkat. Een verhalenbordeel" by Peter Verhelst. It's a very symbolic novel about the impending apocalypse. It won a lot of prizes over here, but I'm not sure if it has been translated yet. It should be, though.

You're right, I am a bad speller. But what's wrong with Vonnegut and Galapagos? The end of the world by way of a financial collapse?

Ok, so its not traditional nuclear apocalypse, but who said it had to be nuclear war?

welsh said:
You're right, I am a bad speller. But what's wrong with Vonnegut and Galapagos? The end of the world by way of a financial collapse?

Ok, so its not traditional nuclear apocalypse, but who said it had to be nuclear war?

Er, welsh he`s just saying that he forgot to mention it :)

oops

Yes, I see the error of my ways. Apologies.

There is also a book by the author of Rats that is kind of post-apocalytic that takes place in the London sewers after World War 2. Does anyone know it?

Back