Post-Apocalyptic books

has anyone here read The Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern? i just wondering if its worth checking out and what kind of PA it is.

All the bookstores I've been to have the most random selection of Axler's books. You'll never find them in order except maybe online.

I recently finished Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling and it wasn't bad. It's what the world might be like if all modern technology stopped working. That includes electricity, engines, guns, etc.. You pretty much go back to medieval times. Although a good read, the Wiccan stuff was annoying, and it all felt very rushed despite the book's length. Dies... is the first of a multipart series, and I'll probably finish them eventually.

strange_eons said:
has anyone here read The Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern? i just wondering if its worth checking out and what kind of PA it is.

Yep. Read all of them except one (which I can't remember the name of). Good series, if you're into the Deathlands-type book. Lots of action, not much actual story going on. I liken them to pop-corn books. Leave your mind at the door and enjoy the ride.

The series starts off with a limited nuclear war, with the initial enemies being gangs and looters. Then it moves into a Red Dawn-esque Soviet invasion. Then it goes a little sci-fi.

The main character has his own Vault, which the author goes into great detail describing.

I just finished reading "Lot" and "Lot's Daughter" by Ward Moore. They were written in 1953-4 and have a very down-to-earth sense of dread in the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Southern California. No mutants, but "Lot's Daughter" is pretty disturbing once you let it sink it. It's a subtle story.

Good Books

Another good read is the domain trilogy by Steve Alten.

Its about a :twisted: nuclear :twisted: war that happens in the UK. You then read about a man who runs to the underground train station lookin for shelter from the nuclear fallout in the end he ends up in a government bunker and then RATS attack him lol its a good read highly recommended

Re: Good Books

shadybob said:
Another good read is the domain trilogy by Steve Alten.

You sure you got the right title?

I checked Amazon and I get something completely different, still Apocalypse and such but now involving stuff like the end of the Mayan calender, alien super weapons, and places such as Stonehenge.

i saw a person or two mention the endworld and blade series..i also recommend these books.i really wouldnt consider them philisophical..more like easy reading action novels in a post nuclear setting

good shit

Steel Dawn

Speaking of post-apo media did anyone see that shitty Patrick Swayze movie Steel Dawn? The main method of getting around was using sailcars, it had the usual amount of mutants in sand dunes and all that crap.
The best part of it was Louis Gossett Jr. of Iron Eagle fame fighting barbarian ninjas and drinking a ton of rot-gut. That I fondled some girls DD's instead of paying attention to that crappy movie.
Also there is a video series about the last hipsters on Earth, and how they wish there was still things for them to mock. The funny thing is they would possibly be well suited for transportation, what with their Critical Mass gatherings.
Don't know if any Bostonians are on these forums but the students at Mass Art (i.e. Hipsters) create some wild bicycles and would be most prepared to craft human-powered transportation out of junk.
Although nothing would compare to having a an old pick-up gutted out and pulled by a bunch slaves.

AI

"I Have No Mouth and Yet I Must Scream" About an AI that enslaves the last 5 humans on earth after a huge nuclear war. Hates humanity for creating it, and so extracts revenge on the remaining five by not allowing them to commit suicide, resequencing their genomes to become mutants and giving them pointless tasks.
Classic, after being forced to starve the group finds cans (a major quest of the book that serves more as a distraction from the suffering than as a source of nutrition) only to realize they don't have can openers.

http://www.limelights.auction4charity.co.nz/media/1/Philip-Reeve---A-Darkling-P.jpg

0439949971.jpg

The cover of A darkling plain by philip reeve.

I liked the hungry cities series and I don't know if they have been mentioned here before, but they are really worth the read imo.

Well i looked through quickly and didn't see any mention of The hungry cities quartet.
It starts with Mortal Engines if anyone is interested, it's set in europe after an apocalyptic war (probably nuclear but it's not mentioned specifically), where cities have been mounted on tracks/wheels in great tiers and trundle about the wasteland catching smaller cities or suburbs for fuel and resources to grow.

It is written for an adolescent audience so don't expect it to be too deep, but still well written, in my opinion.

sorry for the double post, the other one is in the wrong topic. =\

Some of the following can be considered post-apocalyptic if you are a bit loose with the definition of post-apo. (Meaning we get wiped out bt E.T.s and other similar weird things instead of a Nuclear Winter) Others are titles beginning with humanity's ending. I think you might like some of them:

Safe Hold series by David Weber (it takes place in the last colony founded by earth. this is more like a weird camelot/king arthur story)

Crystal Rain & Ragamuffin & Sly Mongoose by Tobias Buckell (another serie that begins in a colony wold. You just have to read it to understand as it is hard to explain the whole story without a lot of spoilers)

Gust Front & A Hymn Before Battle & When the Devil Dances & Hell's Faire by John Ringo (Yes he is a weird writer but he does deliver nice and entertaining military sf. try it if you like military sf)

There Will be Dragons & Emerald Sea & Against the Tide & East of the Sun, West of the Moon. Another Ringo saga. This time with nano-tech level civilisation meets war between "world domination wanting" bad guys and "i dont like my allies but you can go to hell before them" good guys. Did i mention the normal people loose access to nearly all of their high tech?

A Desert Called Peace & Carnifex by Tom Kratman. This one is not post apoc. unless you count a stagnated and fossilised earth govenment a violent end to our species. Every dissident send to an earth-like colony, earths only colony, with earth crewed spaceships to act as guardians. Another Military SF you might like.

And 1 Film:
Titan AE (After Earth) - Cartoon Film, despite its cheesy ending i liked the general feel of this film

I don't know if it's been posted yet in this thread:

"Hiero's Journey" and
"The Unforsaken Hiero"

by Sterling E. Lanier

Those books were the inspiration for the old pencil&paper game "Gamma World", and if you like your post-apocalyptic world peopled with secret societies, evolved moose cavalry and lethal telepathy then you got the best post-apocalyptic novels at hand. Best if read before age 16, but meh, they're still fun at 35.

from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hieros-Journe...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220575828&sr=8-1

51CHX1ZkSvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also, for a great work of literature that happens to be the most brutally realistic post-apocalyptic survival drama, you can't go wrong with Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Be warned though, he has a child at extreme risk throughout the book and the descriptions of starvation will actually give you hunger pangs.

great thread, keep it going another decade.

Edit: Caveat Emptor: I forgot to mention that Stirling basically gives up writing after the second book, so it has an ending, but the ending is rather cliffhanger-ish and there won't be an all-wrapped-up-look-who-harry-married finale in the final book. That element of the series used to infuriate me, nowadays i like the way it leaves the story open ended.

I know a lot of people have asked this, but I also am looking for another coupe of PA books to get. I loved:
-The Stand, actually, it's my favourite book I've ever read.
-The Road, although I thought the end was pretty dodgy.
-Z for Zacharia, or however you spell it. >.>
-Children of the Dust
aaaand
-Lord of the Flies, I know it isn't PA, but I thought it had a little bit of that hopelessness theme that most PA novels have.

So, yeah, if you guys think there's a good book I should read, please tell me, I guess.

post-apocalyptic books please

i was just wondering if any of you guys know of any fallout like or otherwise post-apocalyptic fiction books or even better a series of books. any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you for time in advance

i'll see if i can find "the road". thanks. and if anyone else has any suggestions please share

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream sounds like an interesting read. I read a short synopsis of it, something about the last remaining group of humans, they reside in a underground complex and are tortured and such by a supercomputer which brought about the end of the majority of humanity.

Back