Project Van Buren

E1h44yjXsAEBPfe

E1h454NXsAgW5JS

E1h454NXsAIWYQz

Bravo dude, keep up the great work. I can't wait to see where this goes.
Thank you.
Let me guess, the first image is Vault 29 in Twin Mothers?
I was hoping you would take the second guess, but anyway, the location is Maxson Bunker. You can check the design docs, there are actual in-engine/editor screenshots of already assembled maps.

I must present a concern.

This looks real good, but it seems too cartoony and too happy.

Fallout looked sorta bright and "colorful" to be fair, but it also smacked of loneliness and had a somber thought numbing outlook.

I just cant seem to find that feeling in many of these photos you have generously shared with us. I cannot find that disquieting feeling that I am being watched from beyond the exit grid.

Remember, the scars of the war have not yet healed, and the Earth has NOT forgotten...

I must present a concern.

This looks real good, but it seems too cartoony and too happy.

Fallout looked sorta bright and "colorful" to be fair, but it also smacked of loneliness and had a somber thought numbing outlook.

I just cant seem to find that feeling in many of these photos you have generously shared with us. I cannot find that disquieting feeling that I am being watched from beyond the exit grid.

Remember, the scars of the war have not yet healed, and the Earth has NOT forgotten...
I get your concern, although it isn't really me who decides on how art direction should be handled. What you see is what Black Isle created. I'm just a workforce that put it back together, just the way it actually existed.

I get your concern, although it isn't really me who decides on how art direction should be handled. What you see is what Black Isle created. I'm just a workforce that put it back together, just the way it actually existed.
Alright, I understand. I kinda forgot you were heading for a "this is how it would have been" result.

On a side note, the desert looks kinda bare. I am fully aware that these are concepts, but were you planning on adding the details and "eye candy"?

I was thinking about some high poly bushes and bits of discarded scrap sort of like your earlier concept art shows. I feel a slight augmentation to the scenery could really make these maps shine. Not TOO much, but a tiny bit here and there just to brush it up.

I am aware Unity can not perform GPU instancing and tesselation at the same time. I do not know which side you are using as of yet, but extreme tesselation would make an ENORMOUS difference if the implementation of it is feasible for you.

Also, I saw a sort of intro/trailer cinematic on your Twitter post. Unfortunately, Twitter decided to deliver it to us in #### quality and I couldn't properly enjoy it. If it is not too much trouble, could you reupload the high quality original to somewhere like Youtube so it can be properly enjoyed?

If it is your thing, a small Youtube channel on the development of this game would be something I would instantly subscribe to. It doesnt have to be much, it could be thirty second "blerbs" and clips on your progress every now and then. We could then support you and offer ideas and encouragement easily.

(I think a large majority of people on this forum enjoy Youtube wink wink).

On a side note, the desert looks kinda bare. I am fully aware that these are concepts, but were you planning on adding the details and "eye candy"?
Absolutely. I'm still converting some of the props and other details. The process is rather time consuming (due to the quantity) and I have no one to help me with it, so there's only a few props placed in these screens.
Also, I saw a sort of intro/trailer cinematic on your Twitter post. Unfortunately, Twitter decided to deliver it to us in #### quality and I couldn't properly enjoy it. If it is not too much trouble, could you reupload the high quality original to somewhere like Youtube so it can be properly enjoyed?
I'm not sure which one you have in mind, although all the "teasers" I made in the past are from the previous development iteration which is in fact no longer relevant to the project, hence I'm actually trying to remove it from the internet. If what you meant is something recent, I may try to reupload it someplace else.
If it is your thing, a small Youtube channel on the development of this game would be something I would instantly subscribe to. It doesnt have to be much, it could be thirty second "blerbs" and clips on your progress every now and then. We could then support you and offer ideas and encouragement easily.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to run any social media feed or community for the project other than my own Twitter. Day only has 24 hours :D

In a way it would be a cool nod to release the exact same content as in the VB Tech Demo as a demo for this project.

In a way it would be a cool nod to release the exact same content as in the VB Tech Demo as a demo for this project.
Yeah it would be nice. Except I dont think he has finished the framework, models and mapmaking tools yet. I think it will go a lot faster when he finishes those things.

Yeah it would be nice. Except I dont think he has finished the framework, models and mapmaking tools yet. I think it will go a lot faster when he finishes those things.
Map making tools are finished, and most of the geometry is also in there. The trickier part is design tools, scripting and AI, which is what I'm working on now

Yes, I managed to gather some of the design documents that are not publicly available from the original designers. Fort Abandon, for instance, was designed after one such document.
Yo dude, I know you might want to finish working on the game first but...could you share those documents? That's a priceless historical artifact you have in your posession.

Yo dude, I know you might want to finish working on the game first but...could you share those documents? That's a priceless historical artifact you have in your posession.
Nope, I'm very sorry but I can not. I was explicitly told not to share these materials, I promised I won't and I'm a man of my word.

Last edited:
Didn’t Sawyer or someone also give some unreleased design docs to the Yesterday guy? Or am I making that up?

And just out of curiosity, is not releasing these docs to avoid legal trouble from Interplay or Bethesda? I’d imagine Bethesda, I’d think the rights would have passed on to them.

Back