Shadowrun returns (on kickstarter)

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Kull, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    This reminds me of another issue with the game - inability to switch between combat and non-combat mode at will.

Hopefully it IS remembered, and the lessons learned will improve the Kickstarter system.

This is a big marketing pitch for them, but so far I'm not really seeing hordes of fans designing the content. Not anywhere near the level of the past and current "modding hits". I'd say one needs to craft a compelling game to attract players before counting on them making content. UGC doesn't just spawn out of thin air. We'll see, though.

The early Torment previews looked beautiful artistically too :)

2. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    I just finished "Dead Man switch" main campaign and i am about to start "Dragonfall" campaign.

I dunno much about the faithfullness of the previous games legacy, but it is quite certain that the game is underwhelming in terms or RPG mechanics.
    Not much C&C, not much choices at all, few ways to handle situations, sequence of combat-based mission, small maps, simplified combat system.
    The gameplay is not so deep and the story could have been far longer.

But in the other hand, i found that story quite good, with some layers.
    I thought that, having heroic fantasy elements in a cyberpunk setting, the game would be more humorous, and it is many times.
    But i has its fair moment of depht, grittyness, social darkness.
    Its story really conveys great feelings.

But its overall design is one of the best i ever seen in a video-games.
    Great scenery, great characters portraits, great interface, great musics. Damn it is beautiful for each of my senses. It woke up the graphic whore inside me.

It also brought me one of the best moments of turn-based tactical combat i ever had.
    Having a bunch of characters in the real world fight impossible to kill bugs, while another is fighting her way in the Matrix.
    There is no way i could have that kind of tension in a real-time game.
    Damn, i hope that this kind of moment will appear again in the next campaign or other TB games.
    It really sell the whole gameplay.

PS: I am glad i tried it after they put back the manual savegame system. I hate auto-save only.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Dragonfall is much better structured and interesting than Dead Man's Switch. It's still sort of short (though longer than the main campaign) and don't expect a full old-school title in scope, but overall I was satisfied.

4. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    Near the end of Dragonfall >
    Damn, damn, it has been a real while since i had so much enjoyed a discussion with the "antagonist".
    Why has it to be so rare ?

5. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    Dragonfall will be re-released/enhanced as a stand-alone game.
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9542

I would have preferred a new campaign but it is good to know they are still working on the franchises.

First two campaign were a real pleasure. Sure, those games aren't perfect, but they are great.
    It was very welcomed after Fo3 mess.

6. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    This might get me to replay the game again. Loved the first time around but ran out of steam on Dragonfall, will definitely give it another shot around that time.

7. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    I believe i didn't mentioned it earlier, but the APEX mission is possibly one of the best use of the Turn-based combat in any video-game.

Here you could see it : (just start at 10:00 if you want to see things get stressfull)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdErlfWSFw

You need to have 2 characters jacked into the Matrix.
    They need to hack 3 computers node in 3 different rooms. They could also hack 2 couple of turret in different rooms.
    Each time they leave a room, the deadly robot IA respawn. They could also be attacked by hackers who jack from other computers.

In the real world, you only have 3 party members left.
    Other two are in the Matrix, but their real world body could still be attacked. If they are too much injuried they are disconnected from the matrix. So you must defend them.
    You also have to defend a central computer node and two secondary nodes.
    The ennemies wave come endlessly as long as the timer isn't finished.
    There are big deadly mini boss robots that try to attack the central node. If they reach it, they destroy it in no time.
    There are groups of humans that try to hack the two secondaty nodes that are in other rooms. Some have paralysing grenade that make your party member lose all his action points. (he can't do anything for a turn or two).
    If they manage to hack secondary node, your hackers in the matrix must re-hack them. (with robot ia respawning each time they leave a matrix room)
    There are also turrets that can help you in the real world, but you need to hack them in the matrix. Only one couple could be enabled at a time, and those couples are in differents rooms in the matrix. (with the respawning stuff)
    Considering your party members are scattered and the ennemies are as strong, if not stronger than you, you need one hell of coordination to win this one.

PS: Actually the second hacker is only in the matrix but for the sake of explaining, it would be more simple not mentioning it.

8. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    I'm a little too late on the bandwagon, but Shadowrun is simply one hell of a game. Jumping straight into the Dragonfall campaign, I was taken back by the sheer quality and scope of... just about everything! From the writing to character customization, this has got to be one of the best roleplaying experiences of all time.

9. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    I would say it is a bit lacking in some RPG areas.
    But without thinking about RPG areas, it is a great game, one of the greatest i played the last few years.

10. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    How so?

11. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    It certainly isn't the best rpg, but one of the better ones released recently, imo. The writing is really stupid sometimes- though the Dragonfall campaign is a lot better than Dead Man's Switch. Me personally, I'll wait for the DC to be released before I might try another playthrough. Though I am kinda disappointed that the DC will only add 5 new missions to the game. I kinda expected a little more, because the missions in SR are usually quite short.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Yeah. I couldn't get into Dead Man's Switch at all. Chicago was pretty bland and the level design was subpar. Berlin and the 'Kreuzbasar', on the other hand, had a unique feeling to it.

13. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I thought the general graphics and stuff in the main campaign was pretty good, but the story is way too railroaded (and therefore also the maps). Also the dialog was really bad most of the time- plus, too many pseudo-choices.

The DC for Dragonfall is a good idea, but I hope they won't do the same for DMS. It wouldn't be worth it, imo. Would require too many changes / additions... Will be better to make a totally new campaign instead.

14. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    I found DMS quite good too, even it is true that Dragonfall improved many aspects.
    (although there are some areas in which DMS is still better)

15. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    The first half of the Dead Man's switch campaign is pretty good actually, I've enjoyed it greatly despite its linearity. Level design and storytelling goes right down the toilet with those extra-dimensional enemies susceptible to magical shotguns, though.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    On the other hand, that second part offer some nice turn-based combats, thanks to these creatures and the involvement of the Matrix.

17. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
  18. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  19. naossano

Oct 19, 2006
    Four times the initial goal now.

20. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Yeah, pledged, as well. :)

If it's as good as Dragonfall, it's certainly worth it.

• [Like] [Like] x 1