Shadowrun Returns released

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Jul 25, 2013.

1. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    It does indeed seem my fear was unfounded.

I've now got a truckload of handy spells that do decent damage and steal action points from enemies.

Couple that to other characters using shotguns to kneecap enemies & half the time you can stucklock at least a few of them.

One annoyance though, is that it seems that unless specifically required for the mission, having a decker in your team is useless. I always brought a decker to all missions so far, to have a well rounded team since I'm a purely natural mage without even a datajack. But I couldn't even use my hired decker team mate to hack something that required 1 decking?
    [spoiler:ee8bf4f4c3](to open the hidden entrance on the ground floor of UB)[/spoiler:ee8bf4f4c3]

Maybe I missed something in the interface to be able to tell the decker to hack it...

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Doesn't a decker require a Matrix jack first?

3. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    Datajack, matrix jack, whatever. :)

I just meant that the team member in my team clearly had enough decking skill & equipment. My avatar however didn't. But why can't I just ask my decker to do the trivial hack for me? That's what I pay him for.

It appears to me that it's only during combat sequences that you can give others orders to do stuff like that. Which is kinda sad.

4. T. T. Darko

T. T. Darko First time out of the vault

Jul 29, 2013
    I'm at the end of the game and taking a beating from the bugs in the Bug Nest. I think I might need to rewind a little bit and gather a better party. Having a Rigger is really not that useful.

5. AnchorsAweigh

AnchorsAweigh First time out of the vault

Oct 7, 2012
    I like it! I feel they could have done more with the story and that it should have been longer. Also that there should be more choices of consequence; towards the end of the game the player simply gets railroaded. But with that price tag, it's still a very good investment IMO. Especially since the editor that comes with the game will guarantee many more hours of free user made content. In fact, there already are a few story content packs on Steam workshop that look good--I've played A Lost Lamb (good, short) and just started Life on the Limb, which seem very ambitious and well-made (I think it's been worked on for quite some time, since the editor was released to the Kickstarter backers long before the game was released).

6. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I meant an entry point into the Matrix. I recall something to this tune being mentioned in the game.

7. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    Finished it today. It was an enjoyable experience.
    I feel that for the price, it was good value. I'll replay it once & then probably forget about it.

I do feel it has quite a bit of potential. With some more polishing, expansions could be great.

As a gaming experience, it was good, but if you expect a deep RPG experience, you better stay away.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I think the game's a huge waste of potential, excused only (partially) by the low price tag. It's not BAD, but...

Hopefully the other Kickstarter high-rollers don't end up this half-assed.

9. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    Yeah, they do, but only the PC can use the decking skill in any other situation. If a terminal has a [Decking: 4] option, only the PC's skill gets counted.

10. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    why have a decker in your team then ... if you cant use his skills?

11. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    They're useful in a few missions when you have to go into cyberspace. To have some support. But yeah, not being able to use them to hack terminals and stuff is beyond stupid.
    I liked the game, though. A bit short, but it was fun. The story was good, the dialogues were great and the style was absolutely awesome. Now I hope for user-generated content.

12. Izual

Izual Pipe rifle & chopsticks

Sep 18, 2009
    Just wait for the Berlin campaign, it's promising :)

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    For now the ones being "advertized" are Lost Lamb and Life on a Limb.

The first one is not bad and designed similar to the OC. Short and unfinished, though.

The second is trying to be more of a traditional RPG but is obviously constantly pushing engine limitations:

- graphical glitches and lag because apparently it can't handle more than 5 npcs on the same map;
    - everything resetting/respawning when you go back to the "main hub" map;
    - lack of the ability to access your inventory and outfit your party members at any time is clunky and stupid;
    - being unable to use party members' skills defeats the point of having multiple non-combat skills in a team-based game in the first place;
    - lack of a proper journal with detailed quest descriptions makes it confusing when you have multiple sidequests.

yadayadayada

Unless they put significant additional work in to the engine and editor, I seriously doubt we'll see any worthwhile UGC. At least not gameplay-wise.

14. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    LOL, so many nerfs.

But yes, stunlocking with shotguns was just too damn easy. :)

15. AnchorsAweigh

AnchorsAweigh First time out of the vault

Oct 7, 2012