Some 'violent games causing violent behavior' cases, again..

That's why it's good to promote death penalty for violent criminals :) . There will be much less violent crime when the humanity will understand what needs to be done and exterminate them :) .

Sorrow said:
That's why it's good to promote death penalty for violent criminals :) . There will be much less violent crime when the humanity will understand what needs to be done and exterminate them :) .

Hahahahahaha... yeah.
It's not like anyone is ever wrongfully accused of anything and found guilty, right?

Hahahahahaha... yeah.
It's not like anyone wrongfully accused of anything and found guilty is raped by convicts in prison and hangs himself.

Sorrow said:
Hahahahahaha... yeah.
It's not like anyone wrongfully accused of anything and found guilty is raped by convicts in prison and hangs himself.

Cute.
Are you saying that rape is worth than death? :?

No, I'm just saying that either way, the people who are wrongfully accused and found guilty are fucked.
That's why for example in Singapoure perjury that leads to capital punishment is punished with capital punishment.

Sorrow said:
No, I'm just saying that either way, the people who are wrongfully accused and found guilty are fucked.

hahahaha.

Sorrow said:
That's why for example in Singapoure perjury that leads to capital punishment is punished with capital punishment.

That, to me, is brilliant.

I dunno about death penalty, but the revolving door crap and the fact that their standard of living is amazingly high considering they're supposed to be incarcerated for a heinous crime (Fucking spas and crap like that in Canadian jails, it's a goddamn resort with angry patrons)

I like the 3 strikes idea, however I would rather it be three times towards the same crime, would cause an increased punishment, rather than just two candy bar thefts and a bag swiping equating to 25 years :P

I think that there's no place for violent criminals in this world. When I'm talking about killing them all, I don't mean punishing them, but erasing them from existance.
Erasing the error of nature that they are.

But I just learned from Neverwinter Nights that:

1. One death of someone you care about among thousands of other deaths justifies killing thousands and thousands more for "vengeance" because they "brought it on themselves", and

2. Even after you do all this you deserve mercy and redemption because hey, what's a few thousand people, worse things happen at sea, etc.

think that there's no place for violent criminals in this world. When I'm talking about killing them all, I don't mean punishing them, but erasing them from existance.

One problem with erasing people is that it is irreversible. Say you make a mistake and erase an innocent person... you can't then unerase him. The second problem is that it won't help create less criminals in the future. My guess is that criminals are born as well as made. Probably a program of social eugenics to prevent the apparition of violent people and reeducation of potential criminals would work better.

Sorrow said:
I think that there's no place for violent criminals in this world. When I'm talking about killing them all, I don't mean punishing them, but erasing them from existance.

I would rather set 100 criminals free than kill one innocent person.

Thats what life imprisonment is for.
best of both worlds.

On one hand, violent criminals can't be part of society and must be removed for our protection.
On the other hand, removing someone and killing them is a way bigger deal than removing them and imprisoning them. I say make a prison colony, oldschool style, let them have their own dog eat dog society.

Kinda like Australia used to be, but within a walled international compound, sorta like escape from new york :D

dunno if it was mentioned earlier, but there's a study that now reveals that violent movies actually lower violent crime. (on the release dates of violent movies in the cinemas, crime rate drops slightly)

lulz.

Per said:
But I just learned from Neverwinter Nights that:

1. One death of someone you care about among thousands of other deaths justifies killing thousands and thousands more for "vengeance" because they "brought it on themselves", and

2. Even after you do all this you deserve mercy and redemption because hey, what's a few thousand people, worse things happen at sea, etc.
teehee! :clap:

SuAside said:
dunno if it was mentioned earlier, but there's a study that now reveals that violent movies actually lower violent crime. (on the release dates of violent movies in the cinemas, crime rate drops slightly)

lulz.

correlation != causation :P

i know, the study is as worthless as can be. but then again, so is saying that violent games causes violent behavior. ;)

Agreed.

There has also been shown a correlation between playing tetris and signs of physical excitement, which they use to test potential for violence.

Infact, tetris rated higher than any other game for physical excitement, higher than fps and other games. They've also done the same tests both with and without a gun sitting in the room the child is in, and it had no effect, regardless of the game.

So maybe video games DO cause violence...
but tetris is the single biggest cause.

Although the large number of tests, even ones still cited today, have been essentially regarded as inconclusive by the psychiatric community. Largely due to shoddy methods and over-assumptions of indicators.

SuAside said:
I suspect that it works by satisfying someone needs for thrill and violence :) .

Actually, I'm getting a lot more aggressive when I can't play computer games, because, the whole world gets unbearably boring and monotonous.
I remember that when I was a kid, I used to hang out with local kids and explore local roofs, calling random people, burning matchbox cars and lego people and models, etc., etc., etc.
It all ended when I got my computer.

I guess, simply, some (or a lot of) people are addicted to thrill, destruction, etc. or even genetically pre-programmed to be violent and aggressive in nature, simply because of one thing - humans are a violent race - someone had to be hunters, warriors, knights, etc.

Thanks Per. I recently got the Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition which is the game and all its expansions. I've never played any of them so it looks like I have alot to enjoy.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

SuAside said:
i know, the study is as worthless as can be. but then again, so is saying that violent games causes violent behavior. ;)

I thought the study was fairly legit. It was just hyped wrong by the media. The study actually concluded that it wasn't so much the type of movie but the demographic it drew. When that was 18-25 year old men, violent crime dropped by a statistically relevant percentage because they are also the prime demographic for violent crime. Since they were out watching a movie, they were killing, beating, robbing, etc... less. The study also pointed out that certain comedies that ply the same demographic were equally valid. Conversly, hard core horror and gore, which draw on a narrower fan base, had no statistically significant effect on overall violence levels, nor did romantic comedies, which draw on a different demographic.

The truth of the matter is that we, as a race, are entertained by violence. When proto-man learned to mix ox blood and charcoal and started painting in caves in Spain and France, it wasn't beautiful sunsets or the miracle of life that was his subject. It was a bunch of guys spearing a mammoth.

All the great civilizations, from the ancient Greeks and Romans to the Imperial Chinese, until today, have used violence to entertain. Whether it's chariot races, gladiatoral combat, great works of literature, or an assortment of plays, violence has always been one of the principal draws. The only thing that has changed with the times is that we have finally become able to depict fictional violence with the same level of reality as actual violence. So you can explore your darker nature without actually harming anyone.

Back