The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Black Feather

Black Feather Mildly Dipped

Nov 10, 2010
    Dragon Age? :lol:

(yes, irony.)

2. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
  3. smejki

smejki First time out of the vault

May 26, 2009
    Sky? Rim? Ive just realized how gay the name of this province is :D

now seriously.. TES was never revolutionary in terms of story or its theme so I dont care about if there gonna be dragons. I dont care if it is not gonna be original in any way. All I care about is if it wouldnt be as way so stupid and übergeneric as Oblivion was. So I wont prejudice until at last some gameplay is out.

And finally I am glad that Beth finally made some (technicaly) high quality render vid.

PS: I loved Morrowind and hated Oblivion and F3, but i dont want to be a "hater without cause"

4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Drakensang. Divinity II DKS. Avernum 6. New Vegas. etc. etc.

Everyone else is outqualitying Bethesda on RPGs. Even if Fallout 3 was an improvement on Oblivion.

5. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Hm, I don't know if I should be excited or not.
    I'm pretty shure that they won't bring back the more complex gameplay from Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I still got my hopes up for a good story and at least some enjoyable gameplay.

6. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    Not so sure about "everyone else". How about Arcania?

7. Black Feather

Nov 10, 2010
    Lulz. We should collectively deny the existence of this.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    And even that will not help to convince me because they still can give you overhyped gameplay videos which do not show the "real" game how it works. Nor the reviews about Oblivion mentioned that once it was out. For example on the E3 Todd showed a game which never made it that way in the public. With NPCs interactions, dynamic dialogues (depending on your actions etc.). All those kind of things. Yet what we got was some kind of boring monologue.

I probably will not buy any TES game before I can get it for 5$.

An Dragon army of 5 vs 12 city soldiers representing the army of the land. How is that NOT epic ;)

9. White Knight

White Knight Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 28, 2010
    Oh just to let you know, 'Dragonborn' which was said at the end of the trailer, means a descendant of Talos. So you get to be emperor or you meet one. And to reply to sea, becoming head of the guilds is earned and you do still have a few duties. I didn't like how you became head of an order with no other members, and all you got was some armour and a new line from the Imperial Guardsmen.

10. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    From the news thread:

The version used in Fallout 3 is "improved", as is the one in New Vegas over Fallout 3's. That doesn't get rid of the problem that a) Bethesda sucks monkey nuts at coding properly (community fixes massive engine bugs using script injections) and b) the base of the engine is so horribly ancient that it really would require pretty much a full rewrite, except for some of the more fundamental code (similar to how the new Call of Duty games use old Quake 1 code for a few things simply because there's no better way to do those tasks). I'll believe it's improved substantially to even the standards of five-year-old games when I see it with my own eyes.

11. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Most of the games you mention here are rather small studios and/or niche games. I think the market around very expensive RPGs is dead. Since Bethesda and Bioware are somewhat the dominant developers or to say that the popular ones which have enough finances for advertising in TV even.

Divinity was not "bad" but it was not "good" either. Drakensang is dead more or less, thy have been bought by a company which makes web browser games and anounced that a potential drakensang 3 will NOT feature the dark eye PNP rule and they said they will go for "more action" (vey surprising ...), Avernum is a spiderweb game and clear niche. Only New Vegas is rather a popular team and game. But Obsidian has not the resources of either Bioware or Bethesda to say that. And Vegas shows that a bit.

I gave up on RPGs a while ago even though its my favourite game. But you just cant expect the same quality from those games anymore like a few years back not when you say what they do with Dragonage 2 for example. Or the Witcher 2.

12. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    Still don't understand why the dragons would attack the Nords... the ones on Akavir were wiped out by the Snake-men, the ones in Vvardenfell by the Cliff-racers, and the rest are just isolationists.

13. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    I still have high hopes for this game, the only RPG in development that might turn out to be something I somewhat (?) like.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I wonder if the "new and improved" engine has anything to do with the one used for Divinity 2 DKS. I've been unable to find any info on that. If it is, then it's not so bad; DKS is a lot more smooth and good-looking than Ego Draconis which ran on some version of Gamebryo.

15. Black Feather

Nov 10, 2010
    Yes and thats so fucking sad. It's the kind of rape Fallout experienced with POS...

16. Little Robot

Little Robot sup Orderite

Sep 29, 2010
    Meh. I think that would only be exciting if he was dressed as a dragon. Dragons make everything better.

17. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    And was carrying grenades, 'cause explosions make everything more awsum.

18. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    The problem is kind of twofold. For one, Bethesda up to Fallout 3 did all of its animation by hand. As far as I know, one guy has been responsible for the vast majority of their animation over the years, all the way back to Morrowind (he still sucked then). Now, doing animation by hand without help from a physics engine or some sort of system designed to simulate a human skeleton and musculature is really fucking hard, and requires a huge amount of talent, time and trial and error. That's not an excuse for doing such a poor job, but it does mean that I can at least sympathise with the difficulty of it. Apparently Bethesda picked up access to a motion capture studio around Fallout 3 and used it for some of that game's animations, but even with that, it leads us to the problem of...

Two, the engine just fucking sucks at handling animations. Those dance mods or whatever are all well and good, and you can put some of the best animations in the world in there, and have them look just as awesome as anywhere else. The engine itself, though, is absolutely terrible at blending animations together. There are all sorts of stupid hard-coded limits into what you can and can't do, which is responsible for a lot of the "moonwalking" and really awkward transitions between animations you see while playing. This may have made sense when Morrowind came out, but not in any game post-2004 when Half-Life 2 raised the bar for quality in human animation. Good animations can help smooth these out a good deal (see a lot of the animal creatures in New Vegas), but you'll still never totally fix the problem unless you transition to a system which is able to either stitch together hundreds of transitional animations, or procedurally move characters between animation states (this is what Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto IV and Uncharted do, and it's why they have some of the best character animation of any games).

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but yeah, it's both the fault of the technology and the animators at Bethesda. Obsidian did a lot with what they had for New Vegas and made some big improvements, but as their other games show, they're hardly the best out there at this sort of thing either. Even if they were, though, they'd still be held back by the engine - and Bethesda have shown repeatedly that they'd rather build on top of existing code rather than go back to basics and rip out the guts needed to create a fully modern game engine.

19. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^^I think you guys just created a new fetish.

20. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003