The Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Kalessin, May 4, 2006.

1. Elissar

Elissar Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Orderite

Aug 31, 2003
    No it wont.

I spent 3 years stationed in Fairbanks alaska. we conducted live fire exercises and ranges pretty much year round. Never once did i see or hear of an m16/m4 exploding.

2. the_cpl

the_cpl Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 9, 2009
    I promise you, I never shoot an M16 in Arctic. :wink: But that's right, the AK is better in hot/cold/dirty/dusty places.

3. Werwolf

Werwolf First time out of the vault

Jun 23, 2007
    I heard Germany have a lot of noneeded G3 rifles. Are they for selling? Nice weapon too. 7,62x51 whoa I like it.

Most hated caliber for me is 5,45x39mm of crap, named "AK-74".

4. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    well, my weapon of choice in the arctic would be the Sig 550 or the Rk95, which are both an augmented AK design at some level or another (though the 550 can hardly be compared to an AK anymore).

but still, exploding ARs? pffft...
    lol, keep on dreaming. they'd rather destroy them than sell them to civies.

also, G3's have nightmare-ish ergonomics compared to the competition...
    there ain't nothing wrong with a 5.45x39mm with the correct type of bullet in it.

sure, foilage and brush aint its best friend, but for the rest it aint bad at all.

5. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    Well, obviously, you weren't doing it right! :roll:

6. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    Well, they are kept safely stored and maintained by our Bundeswehr so they can be handed out to the German civilians once Belgium decides to invade our homeland. :mrgreen:

Btw. fuck the ergonomics, you can find the G3 all over the world. Still, it was a pain in the ass to shoot. But that was more related to the caliber that was being used in that gun.

Btw. Suaside do hold a grudge against HK or "German" guns in general or is it just a misconception of mine?

7. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    no grudge. though i do think HK is overhyped, but they make some solid weapons too. i wont deny that...

but there's plenty of german guns that i do like.

8. Werwolf

Werwolf First time out of the vault

Jun 23, 2007
    So which weapon best in 7,62x51mm (AR/STG - like ones, nt sniper) ?

9. DammitBoy

Feb 23, 2006
    Ok, so I went to the range today with my daughter. We shot a lot of .22 on the metal target range as that is her favorite pasttime.

We also took my Ruger 10/22 to the 50 yard rifle range and played with that for awhile. I can safely report that the 50 round drum magazine works like a charm. That was the first time I've had a chance to try it out. No jams, no misfeeds.

I also took the Ruger Alaskan and shot a box of 454 casull out of it - 240 and 300 grain bullets from federal. It has a healthy kick, but it's not devastating. I admit I was kinda worried at how bad the recoil would be... kinda like catching a baseball bat swung full force with your hand.

Seven hours later and my palms are still slightly numb/sore from shooting it, no soreness in the wrists though. But the recoil was managable. The grips are awesome - hogue makes the best grips on the planet in my opinion.

I might look into getting some kind of shooting gloves for this monster snub nose...

Oh yeah, I didn't miss the metal targets once, so I must have kept the flinching to a minimum.

10. Carib FMJ

Carib FMJ Nuka-Cola Chaser

Nov 8, 2003
    I own a SIG Sauer R220 .45 ACP. Nice pistol... a real nail driver

11. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Just got back from a visit to the police station... I qualify for cannon fodder now.

I've never held a real firearm before, but it seems I have a natural talent (or watched too many movies and played too many games).

Anywhoo, for us knowledge-starved students, a real enthusiast showed the ballistics lab armoury, and gave us the opportunity to work with some guns (handling and reloading primarily).

We went through pistols first, a 1945 TT-33 (brick, but an awesome one), Walther P38, Colt M1911 (Norwegian made replica and an original American one), CZ-75, then went to revolvers, a Ruger one and a Colt Python (<3), submachine guns (supressed Uzi and a Sa.24 with folding stock), full size Mauser (1917), Mosin-Nagant with a bayonet (included basic how-to on close combat), a scoped AR-15 and (my favourite) pump-action shotgun.

So, yeah, I qualify for cannon fodder now.

EDIT: And an authentic pre-war Mauser C/96. That was the point at which I nearly squealed.

12. DammitBoy

Feb 23, 2006
    Did you get to shoot anything?

13. The Guardian

The Guardian It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 17, 2008

This is my aunt with her new toy, a, Sa vz. 58 rifle, chambered for 7.62x39mm ammunition.

Although I do not have any pictures, I recently purchased an MkB-42(H) from Marstar - I chose this over the StG.44 because I preferred the design and the gun itself is much rarer - although still a repro chambered for semi-automatic.

14. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Looks... evil.

15. The Guardian

Jan 17, 2008
    Which one?

Notice the Christmas tree? It's there to throw off the assault rifles' "evilness".

I consider both pieces works of art, macabre art maybe but still...

16. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    depends what you want to do with it? and your personal tastes.

as a war rifle, i'd say a good FAL (DSA, FN, Steyr, Izzi, LuxDefTec,...).
    as a DMR, i'd admit that the M14/M1A/M21 does has a few things going for it (though i'm not a fan).

but there's also some interesting stuff coming out (recently, or will pretty soon). FN SCAR-H, FNAR, Kel-Tec's bullpup,...

tbfh, as long as you don't know what you're looking for, it's very hard to say. you might be happy with an L1A1 or a CETME for all we know.

17. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Sadly, no, we ran out of time before we could become Cannon Fodder Mk. II.

18. Ghoullove

Ghoullove Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 16, 2006
    My fav is the Remington 870 MCS 18 " barrel . The first time I used it I fell in love. It screams get out of my way.

19. DammitBoy

Feb 23, 2006
    Your aunt is a moron, treating a weapon like a toy.

20. The Guardian

Jan 17, 2008
    Are you retarded? There's clearly a gunlock in the trigger guard. Besides, when did striking a pose with a weapon make someone a moron? When you suddenly flipped the world upside down with the authority to deem so?