the hell?

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by crack_assault_paladin, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti I know what I'm doing

Oct 6, 2015
    When it comes to dialogue, accents are the first thing most folks immediately think of but, as the Crack guy did mention, a voiced protagonist in an RPG is limiting in so many ways. What if I want to envision a character who is a slightly-annoying fast talker a la Tarantino? Or a quiet type who utters their lines of dialogue in short, clipped sentences?

Well I'm shit out of luck because I'm stuck with whatever inflection the voice actor chose to read their lines with. Imagination goes right out the window, and this is a big no-no in an RPG that's supposed to allow for freedom of character creation and customization.

A voiced PC in a roleplaying game is a major sticking point for me. Frankly, it is yet another needless limitation Bethesda seems intent on forcing upon the player, in addition to their penchant for fleshed-out backstories and watered down RP mechanics.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  2. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Vault Fossil

Jun 15, 2015
    The problem with a voice protagonist for me is that it establishes that the character has their own identity and personality and that I can't make my character be how I want them to be. I can't make them sound soft spoken and gentle or gruff and harden. Its not my character I am playing but the game developers and writers character. But a voiced protagonist was something everyone loved with Mass Effect and wanted crammed into other RPG's. I even remember reading comments(I think it was on YouTube or Twitter) where people were begging Beth to add in a voiced protagonist "like in Mass Effect" for Fallout 4. Even though every voiced protagonist that I have seen has had the personality of a wet brick, Commander Shepherd being no exception.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    They have yet to make a voiced character that is interesting. Geralt was close, very close.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. crack_assault_paladin

crack_assault_paladin Banned

Oct 29, 2015
    1 They can try new approches without splitting away from Fallouts roots and original concepts

2 Well, I've lived in boston for two years, and while there is a lot of history there, there are not historical monuments everywhere you turn

3 I wouldn't mind the mass effect conversation system if it belonged in a Fallout game.

4 Crafting is overused. Don't believe me? Go to the steam store

5 So you are saying you never head a Mexican or Asian accent? I just am not sure what you're saying here because if that is so then you should go outside more.

6 New Vegas didn't get the critical acclaim Bethesda wanted it to. I belive this resulted in Obsidian not getting paid.

5. crack_assault_paladin

crack_assault_paladin Banned

Oct 29, 2015
    Yes

6. phipboy

phipboy Newly elected overseer

Oct 2, 2015
    We only have a few days to go so it's not long til we find out if it's shit/medicore/good. Not much point in discussing things over and over now.

7. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Now we play the waiting game.

For me, that game is Disgaea 5.

For others, perhaps Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

8. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    We can always count on the inevitable leaked copy to be sold and for a Redditt/Instagram to be filled with Spoilers.

9. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Damn it is close... soon we'll know... everything...