The Outer Worlds information overload

I hate to seem like the apathetic asshole, but I’m not gonna be as angry until the next Total War becomes an Epic Games exclusive (hopefully never). But if that day comes, I’m starting a pair of riots at Sega and Creative Assembly.

The way Sega ans CA butcher up their games into tiny and overpriced DLCs has driven me away from them ages ago.

The way Sega ans CA butcher up their games into tiny and overpriced DLCs has driven me away from them ages ago.
That’s fair. It’s like Crusader Kings 2, and its $300 USD of DLC, but to a lesser extent. Doesn’t lessen the fact that it’s a shitty business practice to be sure.

That’s fair. It’s like Crusader Kings 2, and its $300 USD of DLC, but to a lesser extent. Doesn’t lessen the fact that it’s a shitty business practice to be sure.

Paradox is the king of that awful practice.
I myself have, unfortunately, supported that through CK2 (and still do), but that is my weakness because I love that game. They have largely driven me away from their other games because of that.

Paradox is the king of that awful practice.
I myself have, unfortunately, supported that through CK2 (and still do), but that is my weakness because I love that game. They have largely driven me away from their other games because of that.

Stellaris is pretty much the same.

Worse even, since they pulled bait and switch with ftl types.

Personally, I won't buy anything from them.

Only pirate drm free.

Hell, Jim Sterling talks about it:

Stellaris is pretty much the same.

Worse even, since they pulled bait and switch with ftl types.

Personally, I won't buy anything from them.

Only pirate drm free.

Hell, Jim Sterling talks about it:

I've recently got Stellaris from Humble Bundle, and I gotta say I am not particularly impressed. I think it's Paradox' weakest title. As far as space 4x goes, I'll stick with Endless Space 2.
That game also has a ton of DLCs, but vanilla is rich on its own.

I've recently got Stellaris from Humble Bundle, and I gotta say I am not particularly impressed. I think it's Paradox' weakest title. As far as space 4x goes, I'll stick with Endless Space 2.
That game also has a ton of DLCs, but vanilla is rich on its own.

Same. I bought it at launch and found it pretty boring. Haven't bothered trying to keep up with the DLCs that might actually make it worthwhile.

Yeah, Paradox really is the king of DLC gluttony from what I've seen. I also heard they were the reason Obsidian had to have DLC for Tyranny like Bastard's Wound and Tales from the Tier. I liked Tyranny but not enough to replay it for two DLCs that reportedly already been in the game. Everyone says it feels like cut content.

Also, I see Paradox games selling portrait packs. What the hell is that? You want me to pay you for some images, of which I pick ONE, to represent my character? That's an awful deal. I don't care that's it 3 to 5 dollars (and horribly sometimes more).

Has anyone looked at the edition of Bloodlines 2?
new_edition_comparison_chart.jpg
24 hour early access? This is the kinda shit EA and 2K were doing with their games. A bunch of nostalgia items that probably don't matter as they're just cosmetic but still. I also hate that I have to reference charts for games and their editions. Silly shit but this one has nothing on the atrocities like this.
lc8zhtul9ocfaszgoqrd.jpg

I'm forgiving of DLC that adds significant content but not much else. Sure, I've played games with shitty practices but I usually pay very minimally or not at all into them. I loved Dirty Bomb. I paid for closed beta access that also unlocked like half of the characters at the time. Then I saw how their business model was set up and I hated it. Sure it was all cosmetic only but it was grindy and lootbox driven as hell. Great game, shit monetization model.

What I probably hate the most about all of this is that these publishers rarely, if ever, offer something like a Complete Edition with all that shit + base game for an affordable price.
They keep milking it and never, ever stop.

That's one of the main reasons I never pre-order games anymore and generally just wait for the GOTY editions because they always include all that stuff for the base price like it should have been from the beginning. In many cases I wait for a sale on that GOTY edition too.

But for some games I can't help myself and Bloodlines 2 is gonna be one of those games. The Outer Worlds I would've bought sight unseen, but the EGS exclusivity bullshit is going to make me wait for that 75% off sale on Steam whenever that happens. :P

DLC practice is one of the reasons why I love CD Projekt RED.

The Witcher 3 had 16 free DLCs which were either small quests or cosmetic in nature, but would nonetheless be sold for 2,99€, 4,99€ etc. each by most of the other AAA companies. But no, these were free. Even if this was just a marketing move where they cut stuff out of the game and offered them for free in order to attract attention, the fact remains that CDPR made 2 actual expansions to the game which are more than worth its price, as they added loads of content. Like expansions sets of yore.

Too bad they seem to be one of the few companies that still make those.

Back