The real reasons people hate Bethesda

That’s a bit cynical, isn’t it. If they cared so much about money, why would they go through the painstaking effort of creating talking dog animations. There is passion, it’s just misdirected

It is. But Bethesda and Zenimax are large enough to be ruled by people who have no interest in video games. The guys actually doing the work probably care but what power doe they have? They work for two very large companies. I used to live by Obsidian. They’re in a single office space in Irvine. Blizzard is not so far away and they’re in a giant complex with walls and a guard. It’s very telling.

Hm, I accepted a lot of new people to games like New Vegas and such. I always did. But I stopped after seeing the fact that they just thrashed it so badly and brought so many bad arguments that my niceness just faded away. Let me take you to a few of my stories from some people that I recommended New Vegas to:

1: Guy's a streamer, right? He's doing Fallout series for the first time (starting from Fallout 3, he did all DLCs) and he finally does New Vegas all DLCs. I'm fucking excited, seeing him start up the game, doing the Goodsprings quests, etc. But at one point I realized that he's really rushing it, he already got to The Strip real quickly, did 90% of the main quest for Independent side, then he starts OWB. He's doing fine and then he hits the Legendary Boatfly in the cave. He has a hard time doing it on Normal difficulty (as I can recall). Then after the fight's done and he loots it, he says "Wow, I didn't expect it to be this hard, it's way too hard for me. I'll finish OWB then finish the main game...". I just sat there. Surprised, mouth open... He had the patience to do all DLCs for Fallout 3 + a ton of sidequests but not NV all DLCs? Anyway, he finished NV and got to 4. He's loving it, the gameplay and all. He says it's his favorite Fallout game. He does all DLCs for that too. At the time everyone was talking about Fallout in the chat and about their opinions of 3, NV and 4. I was the NV supporter and I was so defensive about the game I love that the streamer noticed it and actually put me on a notice that if I start "glorifying" NV again, I'll get timed-out or banned, while the others kept saying how 3 and 4 are superior bcz of their "atmosphere" and gameplay. I felt so wronged. I kept telling him that he NEEDS to finish NV but no one listened to me. The one game I kept telling him to actually try out, he eventually doesn't even try it ALL out. I stilll watch him as he plays other games but I still can't get over it and internally I'm trying to cope. In their discord's #Fallout channel, you'll only see 3 and 4 banter and rarely NV.

2: He's my long-time internet friend from 2013. At one point he tries Fallout 4 and he says he LOVES it. I was surprised when he told me he was playing a Fallout game, so I straight-up recommended him NV Ultimate Edition. So he tries it out and tells me that something's off and that "It doesn't give me a post-nuclear wasteland feel". I tell him how Mr. House protected majority of NV and surroundings of nukes and how some places survived and became unscathed but I also told him that the problems of a past nuclear war were there. After a while, he said "I'm bored, I have nothing to play" and I asked him "Why not continue New Vegas? You didn't finish it..." Then he went all out, he said that he would rather play Sims than play NV. Let me quote him...: "good story, TERRIBLE setting/red dead redemption spinoff/doesn't feel like a fallout game at all/I'm questioning if I should even do the DLC's at all or just straight up delete the game". I couldn't bring myself to hate him for it, or blame him. He started with Fallout 4. Probably the worst fucking game to start with to know how a true "Fallout game" feels like. He even said that 3 feels like a Fallout which is: simply. NOT. true. I kept telling him that a true Fallout game wouldn't deviate from what path 1 and 2 set up. 3 and 4 do exactly that. He never played 1 and 2, he never KNEW how they were, yet he somehow thought 3 and 4 were good examples of what a "Fallout game" should feel like. We don't talk as much about Fallout anymore. I just keep to myself about NV but I still share the experiences that I want to share.

So, you're telling me I'm not allowing new players in? Well that's true now, I am never EVER gonna accept any new 3 and 4 beginners touch NV again. I gave people enough chances until I just had enough. I will still try to convince them though, see them my side of the story but yet again they just bring nothing good to the argument and keep saying the same shit over and over again.

Also yes, I hate Bethesda for all that it stands for when it comes to Fallouts. It ruined the Fallout lore ever since Fallout 3 was a thing (and even more so when Mothershit "Make aliens cause the war" Zeta came from the depths of Hell) and Fallout 4 was just some mainstreamed post-apocalyptic survival shooter game that was only a dumb Fallout-themed park.

Also, I started NV in 2016 back when I wasn't into RPGs at all (actually really badmouthed them AND with no Fallout 1 and 2 knowledge) so there's no way in fuck I can be suckered into nostalgia like all of the Fallout 3 AtmospherePosters are.

At the time everyone was talking about Fallout in the chat and about their opinions of 3, NV and 4. I was the NV supporter and I was so defensive about the game I love that the streamer noticed it and actually put me on a notice that if I start "glorifying" NV again, I'll get timed-out or banned, while the others kept saying how 3 and 4 are superior bcz of their "atmosphere" and gameplay. I felt so wronged. I kept telling him that he NEEDS to finish NV but no one listened to me. The one game I kept telling him to actually try out, he eventually doesn't even try it ALL out.
Usually when you try and force a streamer to finish a game it just inclines them to not want to. NV can be a great experience but if the streamer doesn't want to continue then that's just how it goes. They stream for fun, not to appease somebody. I remember how DSPGaming insisted on never finishing Scarface because everyone kept bugging him for it. People stopped bothering him over it and he finished it last month of his own accord.

That’s a bit cynical, isn’t it. If they cared so much about money, why would they go through the painstaking effort of creating talking dog animations. There is passion, it’s just misdirected
Dogs don't do a great deal of anything but open mouth, howl and close mouth. Painstaking detail is too much credit.

I think Fallout 4 is born out from, and ultimately feeds back into a few characteristics of the modern civilization - short attention span, for one.

But what good is an argument when you're in the minority :D?

Last edited:
Bethesda pretty much gave the absolute wrong impression to people of what the series is actually about. Bethesda made the series look like it's just a shoot and loot simulator where you just explore destroyed areas, while the series is actually about how people would interact and evolve in a post-apocalyptic setting, not looting and shooting with hardly any context.

I guess some people prefer to roam around aimlessly, killing and looting shit, but claiming New Vegas is a less of a Fallout game than 3 and 4 is just objectively false.

The best games ever made are, by far, the real Fallout games.

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout New Vegas

All of them are incredible.

I dont care what Company made them. I only judge the Entertainment in them.

Seeing bethesda make the greatest sp rpg ever into an mmo makes me sick. this after paid mods debacle with steam and then be revived with Creation club. Fallout 76 is the Death of Fallout. From now on ALL fallout games will have social Components (pvp etc)

The best games ever made are, by far, the real Fallout games.

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout 4
Fallout New Vegas

All of them are incredible.

I dont care what Company made them. I only judge the Entertainment in them.
I can't doubt that or say it's not true. Despite all their flaws, the games are entertaining in their own ways. If you throw away the story which 3 and 4 butchered and just get to brass tacks, the games can entertain you for a while if you know how to play them. But of course, I can't bring myself to say that too. I just can't ignore the flaws in 3 and 4 despite their gameplay being entertaining.

So much for brand recognition of a service/product.
I think it's funny when Bethesda gets asked "What is Fallout"? since they never respond as well their marketing material doesn't elaborate on the actual good/service they are selling. To be honest I''m quite certain they don't know what Fallout is.

Considering the basis of design for the IP, the Fallout brand no longer represents the originally acquired intellectual property. The brand itself has also become generic. If I remember correctly that's actually legal grounds to terminate a brand by revoking the trademark for being generic forcing it into the public domain.

Lets see how Bethesda has committed genericide of the Fallout brand:
  • Used the brand as a noun.
  • Used the brand as plural.
  • Used the brand as a verb.
  • Used the same text/font for the brand name that is used for other details such as marketing material.
  • Used the brand name on separate lines of products, rather than a single product. This also surprisingly includes toys, helmets, glow in the dark maps, as well different genres of games.
  • Failure to educate consumers of/or distinguish the brand's products/services.
  • Failure to retain integrity of the established brand to ensure it's product/services are easily identifiable in the marketplace.
  • Wrongfully used the brand trademark of Fallout on an "offshoot" product. Thus making the brand not exclusive to it's original product/services.
  • Presents an inconsistent message.
  • Failed to deliver on message.
What really cracks me up is how Bethesda is eroding their own Fallout brand.

3. The games are more accessible. They're more mainstream and well known. Before, when they were relatively unknown, you felt special because nobody else was playing them. But now you realize you're not special, so you had to make yourself feel special, which leads us to four...

But...but...Fallout 3 said I was special!

I like third and first person games but Fallout should be isometric. I still love NV and it's one of my favorite games of all times along with Fallout 1. But Fallout should be an RPG way before it is a shooter.
Oh well. Not much we can do about it now besides make and/or play good mods.

The protagonist of Fo2 was called a chosen but was mostly a deconstruction of the trope.
You were the descendant of a figure of legendary status (not even by your backward ass tribe but also the NCR, and esentially everyone who met them and is still alive), foretold by prophecy, and after some stumbling, an effective hero of the wasteland that saves just about all of the rest of known humanity from being nuked even further back, so I can't say I really see it. Reversely I didn't really see anything making you more of a chosen one in 3 out of being a videogame protagonists as they always are, beyond your own loving father telling you you're special and capable of great things.

The trope of the Chosen One is explained really well here:

foretold by prophecy,
What prophecy? Looking for GECK is not a prophecy but a urgent matter to save your home and people in it.
and after some stumbling, an effective hero of the wasteland that saves just about all of the rest of known humanity from being nuked even further back,
Both Fallout 1/2 the wasteland don't actually get nuked again in most endings, save for the oil rig.
Reversely I didn't really see anything making you more of a chosen one in 3 out of being a videogame protagonists as they always are, beyond your own loving father telling you you're special and capable of great things.
You forgot certain DJ keep broadcast what you done during your travel, certain companion say it's your destiny for you to die inside the water purifier, and you're the son of the James who's dream is pure water for everyone.
The main plot of Beth's fo3 is build on you are son of james and you need to follow your dad and fulfill his dream after his unnecessary death, you're special since the day you born.

Then the vault overseer spent decades watching you as the only outsider, the only guy\gal in the whole vault that was meant for something else. The BOS and Rivet City follow you because you are James's legacy. The Encllave president was waiting for you to come because stuff... Your love interests are the bosses daughters. And the whole project purity is fulfiling your dad's plan for you. Everyone consider you as special because you are born.

In Fo2, you are called the chosen one by a smoking pot shaman and your old grand ma. Then you leave your village and considered as a joke by 95% of the npc when you mention your chosen one status. And your own character can get totally oblivious of it depending of the lines you choose.

Back