Things you *aren't* pleased to see

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Little Robot, Oct 16, 2010.

1. sydney_roo

sydney_roo Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 24, 2008
    I don't know whether it's just me but orange hands sort of annoy me. Easily modable, though.

2. Tel Prydain

Tel Prydain First time out of the vault

Apr 23, 2007
    I haven’t played the game yet, but in a purely theoretical capacity there are a lot of good reasons that a group living in a post apocalyptic world may choose to keep classical Latin alive.

Firstly, it functions as a code, preventing communications from being intercepted.
    Secondly, anthropologically it allows you to distinguish your group from the rest of the herd. There are plenty of real-world cultures that have an altered language or different language for the ‘upper’ class. It shows superiority over lesser castes.
    Lastly, if they are trying to recreate something that they have read about, they may recognise the superiority of the Roman Army without having the skill to determine the specific elements that made them successful.

So, perhaps, if the original group used Latin as a code, the subsequent members may not distinguish between the original reason for the group’s success and the use of the dead langue as a code.
    This is not dissimilar to cultures promoting belief in a deity because they attribute past military successes to said deity.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I have the trait but somehow I haven't encountered anything "mind boggling" yet.

4. Texas Renegade

Texas Renegade Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Aug 21, 2008
    You haven't encountered Indiana Jones north of goodsprings

5. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 18, 2010
    I've played a bit of the game on my brother's 360, but the only thing I really dislike is Caesar's Legion. Those guys are just flat out goofy. Certainly they could have had a much better faction, right?

6. Texas Renegade

Aug 21, 2008
    Right out of van burn

7. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 18, 2010
    Yep.

I wasn't a fan of them when I read about them a few years back, and I gotta say, I'm still not a fan. Other than that, I haven't seen much else I dislike. Well, except the Vault 101 Jumpsuit magically appearing on the West Coast all of a sudden.

8. Innawerkz

Innawerkz First time out of the vault

Feb 23, 2010
    Nicely done. My take would have been on a purely 'tribal level' like you mentioned. Your concepts are much better as they would allow the player to gradually understand the history of the Legion in a very gradual & understandable fashion.

9. Texas Renegade

Aug 21, 2008
    my idea is Caesar was banding together a bunch of Tribals that didn't like each other and he needed to give them a unifying code system to buy into and bring them together and give them a sense of purpose and discipline.

10. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I'm disappointed there isn't a radio station that just plays "Big Iron" 24/7.

All Big Iron, all the time.

Big iiirrrooooooon... big iirrrrrooooooon.

11. Syanlon

Syanlon First time out of the vault

Oct 19, 2010
    Big Iron is my fav song so far but Radio Blackrock with Tabitha is the best station.

Any Ink Spots songs in this game? What Ive heard all seems old western type songs.

12. sydney_roo

sydney_roo Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 24, 2008
    Big Iron is absolutely fantastic. I immediately recognized the song as I sometimes listen to its Johnny Cash version from Unearthed album.

13. Mapex

Mapex It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 31, 2008
    Regarding Caesar:

From everything you learn about him and his legion up to Nipton, Caesar seems to mimic Col. Kurtz from Apocalypse Now. His methods are "unsound" although everything he is doing is for the greater good. It spoke to me almost instantly, and the screenshot of Caesar even looks somewhat like Marlon Brando's character.

When you do see something "wacky", you will see a Vault Boy icon on the top left of the screen with dizzy eyes and a "..." next to it, complete with eerie alien noise in the background.

The first time I saw the "..." was in Goodsprings Source:

[spoiler:40f0bd5704]
    Go up the hill like the dude asks you to save his girlfriend and there will be a body of a guy named "Johnny" who, along with some items, is a reference to a game concept on the Something Awful forums.
    [/spoiler:40f0bd5704]

Another was in Nipton:

[spoiler:40f0bd5704]
    Nipton has been destroyed by the Legion and is up in flames. On the NE side of Nipton, there's a burned down house with two scorched skeletons named "Owen" and "Beru," Luke Skywalker's aunt and uncle who were killed in a similar fashion by the Stormtroopers in Star Wars Episode IV.

This one made me literally ROFLMAO so hard.
    [/spoiler:40f0bd5704]

14. Relentless666

Relentless666 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 23, 2008
    A few random things:
    - The Pipboy is still a messy piece of crap.
    - Ceasar's Legion is a bit too silly.
    - No vehicles. Seriously, I'm getting sick of walking everywhere.
    - No place to store my junk.
    - Caravan. Seems like a great idea, but it's really poorly executed.

15. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    You could just use any container? If it makes you feel better, how about storing it in your Novac hotel room or something?

16. Nalano

Nalano Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 20, 2009
    Your Novac hotel room, any container sitting near a campfire,

[spoiler:d311a60d4f]any one of your presidential suites in New Vegas...[/spoiler:d311a60d4f]

17. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 26, 2008
    I really enjoyed your post (both the element I'm about to agree with above and the stuff I excised for space considerations). I likewise like to rationalize the inconsistencies in my fantasy worlds away, though I hand't considered many of the clothing items you suggested (and had previously shared sea's consternation that they existed).

Nevertheless, I too disliked the exploding cars but -- since they were included -- put them to work to my benefit. I still remember a church out in the wasteland with hostages being held by super mutants early in FO3. I ended up using a combination of my sneaking skill, a well timed aggro attack and the remains of an old car as an elaborate, impromptu trap to take them out. I was rather pleased with myself and that certainly mitigated any lore frustrations I otherwise may have been feeling.

18. Syanlon

Syanlon First time out of the vault

Oct 19, 2010
    I hadnt seen any cars explode in NB until last night I stand next to a car I thought was a wreck and it blows up crippling every limb. Hardcore with Small Frame can be a bitch.

19. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    I wish that "crippled limbs" on a character were more visual - like missing an arm or a leg, then having a doctor sew in back on ^__^

20. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    First car I saw explode was when Boone sniped at some ghouls around REPCONN (silliest/most Fallout 3 quest so far, but still not bad and treated well, with a good number of options), but hit a car instead. I'm not sure if it was accidental, but it set the car off and all the ghouls around it got blown to bits.

Still hoping for a "no exploding cars" mod.