Fallout 2 mod Unofficial MIB88 MegaMod Gameplay Help

Okay cool man - I'll hold till you make the next release - if you want to wait until you finish Marcus that's cool I don't want to rush you, or dictate releases for you. Anyway good to know there'll be updates because I really am enjoying the mod so far especially like the additional stuff in Klamath and the den

Last edited:
Does anybody know how to get Navarro marked on your map? Is the only way through Matt? If so, what do I have to do to get him to give me the quest. Also is there a requirement to being able to wear power armor?

...Also is there a requirement to being able to wear power armor?

Ah! Now here is one I can answer, since in your other posts you answered your own question. So, there are requirements to wearing power armor, now. You think you can just go and pick up a set of power armor and know exactly how it works?! Nuh-uh! There are ways to learn how to use it, but, you don't need all of them. You only need one.
1. You could learn from some smart person in the Wasteland.
2. Maybe you could learn what you need from a book.
3. Maybe you could figure it out yourself if you are very experienced.
4. You might be able to figure it out if certain of your skills are high enough.

...Anyway good to know there'll be updates because I really am enjoying the mod...

Thanks for saying that. Yes, I'm still working on the project, and I have plans to add a lot more.

can anybody dirrect me to a megamod walkthrough?

Check out the wiki page in my signature block. There is a link to a guide there, but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I was hoping to fix a major issue with Marcus before I made the next release. Nevermind. I will put out what I have this week. I don't think there are any fixes I made recently which would require starting a new game. However, be advised that some fixes would not be seen unless you start over or at least enter certain areas for the first time. The fix to Lenny, though, does NOT require starting a new game or even entering Gecko for the first time.

Is the update still planned this week?

No pressure, I just wanted to know whether I should check out every few hours today for the update or not^^

Sorry, @Nirran , that is the only version I know of.

Ok, the latest update to the MM is posted. It can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/glh196ftmsofedy/Megamod update 2.47.3.zip

There are two folders inside the archive. Just unzip and copy directly into your main Fallout 2 folder. Old saves should still work, but, you may not see all the fixes unless you enter a location where the changes/fixes are made for the first time. Some fixes may work even if you don't do this, such as the fix to get Lenny in your party.

From the readme:

Changes/Fixes made since version 2.47.2:
-Numerous dialog and grammar fixes
-Several minor corrections to various maps
-Removed some instances where killed enemies may have two sets of armor
-The stone block in the Temple now weighs a little less in order to accommodate all character builds
-Gecko pelts from a Klamath Mall container now properly stack with other pelts
-Drug dealer in the Den Residential area no longer spawns infinite Desert Eagles
-Corrected some special encounter names on the worldmap
-Lydia in the Vault City bar talks to the player once again
-Gecko-Enclave Patrol encounter works a little differently now
-Lenny will now properly join the player
-Float dialog for prostitutes in New Reno working again
-Private Dobbs will join your party again if told to wait
-The Modoc blacksmith will remove the proper amount of ore when doing the armor upgrade
-Fixes to Father Tully
----Will now reveal the location of the Abbey
----Properly asks you to find Brother Samuel, not Brother Thomas
----Will now accept the wine from the Abbey to complete the quest
-Your character will no longer talk about being poisoned when actually irradiated, and vice versa, when speaking with Dr. Troy
-Quests for Abbey and the Monastery no longer appear under "Merchant" in the Pipboy
-Fixed some instances for Vic where the party member background was wrong
-Changed how a couple of Cold Hearts quests work in order to prevent them from showing up in the Pipboy prematurely
-Added code to handle how purchasing alcohol from Cassidy is handled
-Ranger Safe Houses have been added to the game
-Slightly modified the Cold Hearts junkie quest so that all float messages can be seen
-Added quest elements from RP regarding the Ranger Safe Houses

So, I started the Vault 15 hostage quest. When I finally reach the girl, I can't talk to her. I try pressing the talk button and nothing happens. Is this a bug?

Few issues:
- hubologists in san fran leave 2 sets of robes
- raider guards in vault 15 leave 2 sets of armor, sometimes two different ones (leather mk.1 and 2)
(guys in combat/power armor don't leave any armor, oh well)
- can't talk to drunks "you've seen here many times" in a bar next to slaver camp outside ncr, thought I don't know what would they have to say anyway

Not really an issue, but I've got some weapon upgrade parts and don't know what to do with them, san fran shopkeep (went to san fran right after getting Sulik) told me to go to hubologists' science guy but he just hardens power armor. Had both weapons and their upgrade parts in inventory yet no new dialogue options appeared. Weapon seller outside ncr only had the default hunting rifle scope option too. Also, how do I fix the Barett?

So, I started the Vault 15 hostage quest. When I finally reach the girl, I can't talk to her. I try pressing the talk button and nothing happens. Is this a bug?
I guess so, just did that quest too and didn't have any npc problems.

I'm getting pic related when trying to go west through the junkyard in den, resulting in ctd.

EDIT: Same thing happens during the chemical church guard quest. Something's wrong with the residential part of den. Also the gauss rifle I had equipped was mysteriously spirited away.

EDIT, part deux: Can't open the dialogue window opening door in the slaver's camp west of den because "remaining slavers would hear me open the door" despite all the slavers in the area being long dead and forgotten. This one is really hurting.

The primitive tribe is still on the "neutral" despite completing all the available quests so far (assisting head hunter two times, getting shaman to send off ghost girl then getting him some herbs, getting firewood, repairing the well). From the villagers' dialogues it would seem that they accepted me though.

On the rocks in front of the destroyed lab binocular note says that blowing them up would grant me access, but the timed explosives don't seem to work and I can't target the rocks themselves. Is there some trick to it?
- NEVERMIND THAT, I'VE FIGURED IT OUT -

EDIT, part trois: Targeting the radscorpion in west modoc closes the game. Companions take care of it without a problem. No problem with targeting the plant. Same problem underground.

EDIT, part quatre: Broken hills, same problem as above - targeting the labscorpion closes the game. Same with the radscorpions in the mine.

EDIT, part cinq: Talking heads that change armor in the dialogue window are complete black after putting on enclave power armors.

EDIT, part six: Vault city raiders leave two sets of armor, and two different ones at times.

EDIT, part sept: Pvt Dobbs has Skynet's float messages. NCR cyberdog somehow got spirited away, doctor offered me the same quest (inject mystery cure into a supermutie) again.

EDIT, part huit: Destroyed lab, again the same problem with targetting radscorpions closing the game.

EDIT, part neuf: Lightsaber (gotten in the glow) doesn't work, attacks are not executed, no change in ap either. CORRECTION: Throwing attack works, cutting doesn't.

EDIT, part dix: Finished the helping the bos patrol quest but cannot get into the bunker:
[Without the access code, this elevator isn't taking you anywhere]
Cannot talk to Burke either. The "Paladin of Brotherhood" that gave me the quest only says hello in the float message.

Attachments

• 004efa89 beefcf84.jpg
    004efa89 beefcf84.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 004efa59 beefd0d9.jpg
    004efa59 beefd0d9.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Anybody know what triggers the "Cassidy succumbs to the adverse effects of chems" timer? I did have the Heart Pills on him, although he may have used a Stimpak post-battle, and was a minor drug mule. But I'd never used any chems on him directly, and his inventory was also intact, so I expected him to be OK.

As an aside, it makes for poor gameplay when your companion is not just killed, but killed on a timer so you can easily overwrite your save and end up with an unsalvageable situation. Especially when you're not clearly warned about the effects beforehand, as is the case with Cassidy, the Heart Pills, Lenny's claims of their efficacy etc.

Specifically, @MIB88, can you point me to the script that handles this? It does not seem to be vccasidy.int.

As an aside, it makes for poor gameplay when your companion is not just killed, but killed on a timer so you can easily overwrite your save and end up with an unsalvageable situation...

Exactly. It would make for a poor gameplay design. That's why it's not included. When Cassidy uses a drug and he doesn't have the heart pills, the death happens immediately.

So, either the character didn't have the heart pills...
Or, there is a drug that is not accounted for in the vccasidy script that he took or you gave him and it killed him.

Do you remember what he was carrying? Was he carrying anything from the EPA?

When Cassidy uses a drug and he doesn't have the heart pills, the death happens immediately.
This is most likely true, but I also got Cassidy killed by having one random encounter, which he survived, and when I arrived at the next one, he was dead with the above message displayed. I reloaded the save from after the first encounter, passed a few hours and Cassidy keeled over dead, so there is some kind of timed event performing the killing. I don't see it in vccasidy.int, though, unless timed events can't interact with scripts rewritten and recompiled after the event has fired.
So, either the character didn't have the heart pills...
He most definitely did. Unless there can be several Heart Pills (which is perhaps possible, I own two kinds of Gold Nuggets with different inventory pics), this was not the issue.
Or, there is a drug that is not accounted for in the vccasidy script that he took or you gave him and it killed him.
As I said, the only thing he took was a (modded, but PIDs are unchanged) Stimpak.
Do you remember what he was carrying? Was he carrying anything from the EPA?
No, I haven't gotten to the EPA yet. He had a weapon, ammo, explosives, some tools, the Vertibird black box, beers, booze, antidotes, Stimpaks, Jet, Suomi and Shaman's Potions.

This is most likely true...

No, it is definitely true. Period. End of sentence. You had to have seen it in the script. There is only a 5 tick delay. So, practically immediately.

...but I also got Cassidy killed by having one random encounter, which he survived, and when I arrived at the next one, he was dead with the above message displayed. I reloaded the save from after the first encounter, passed a few hours and Cassidy keeled over dead, so there is some kind of timed event performing the killing. I don't see it in vccasidy.int, though, unless timed events can't interact with scripts rewritten and recompiled after the event has fired.

I don't even recognize where that message comes from. It's not in the generic text nor Cassidy's.
As for rewriting/recompiling a script and fired events: If a timer is triggered, the countdown begins with the ticks. As soon as the number of ticks are reached, the parameter is set. As soon as the parameter is set, the timed event (in this case Cassidy's death) occurs. So, theoretically, if the event is triggered, but the game is saved before the number of ticks is reached and the script is modified, the changed condition should occur, and not the original condition.

He most definitely did. Unless there can be several Heart Pills (which is perhaps possible, I own two kinds of Gold Nuggets with different inventory pics), this was not the issue.

There is more than one type of heart pills. So, you could have more than one in your inventory. But that doesn't matter.
There are also the fake heart pills, of course, which will not help him. I checked through his script and I see nothing there that should set off a timer to kill him based on what you said he's carrying. (And it looks like I forgot to add in code to check if he uses shaman drugs. As of now, he can use those without adverse effects.)

So, all that to say: I don't know what's going on with Cassidy. But, if that dialog line can be found, that would help in figuring this out.

I figured it out. It's a core game mechanic. My Stimpaks only provide a temporary +25 HP bonus, then go -35 for a while, and finally back to neutral. Cassidy had few enough HP and used enough Stims to kill himself when the rush caught up with him. It was just an unlucky coincidence that it happened to be the guy with a weak heart and special meds who did it first.
I apologize for the false alarm.

Another thing I just ran into: is it intentional that certain Broken Hills inhabitants (Francis, the ghoul bartender, Doc Holliday and Zaius seem to be the main ones) just flat out become impossible to talk to (no reaction to clicking on them) when you unintentionally do the jailbreak before talking to Jacob? I can see that they might not want to talk to a low-reputation criminal, but it should be communicated somehow.

Finally, any thoughts on making Lenny actually useful as a healer? Right now even when he helps, he still operates within the "3 heals per 24 hours" framework, which makes him marginal at best. One idea: allow him to heal you through dialogue just like he did when in Gecko. But make it take several hours and require him to have a medkit in his inventory. Better kits could even shorten the time he takes to heal you.

I figured it out...

Ah, good.

Another thing I just ran into: is it intentional that certain Broken Hills inhabitants (Francis, the ghoul bartender, Doc Holliday and Zaius seem to be the main ones) just flat out become impossible to talk to (no reaction to clicking on them) when you unintentionally do the jailbreak before talking to Jacob? I can see that they might not want to talk to a low-reputation criminal, but it should be communicated somehow.

Um... I'd have to take apart those scripts to see what is going on. But you're right: Even if you have negative karma or a negative reputation in the town, you should get some kind of float, I would think. I'll check into it. But, it sounds like a bug.

Finally, any thoughts on making Lenny actually useful as a healer? Right now even when he helps, he still operates within the "3 heals per 24 hours" framework, which makes him marginal at best. One idea: allow him to heal you through dialogue just like he did when in Gecko. But make it take several hours and require him to have a medkit in his inventory. Better kits could even shorten the time he takes to heal you.

I've got something like this already on my list of things to include. There would still be a time/number of uses per day limit of some sort. (The change will also be coming to Klint, who will only be able to use his skill if he has some raw materials in his inventory.) The advantage to going through them would be that you would get increased random healing than if you had done it yourself. The idea also includes having Lenny go to the PC or party NPCs to heal them in combat... even if it is just to administer a stimpack. So... yeah... someday...

But, it sounds like a bug.
I also found out what triggers it: the shit shoveler perk, not the jailbreak. It also seriously decreases your BH reputation, so it may just be a reputation check.

As an aside, should Francis really greet you with "...I don't associate with scum", even if you have positive local rep and karma in the thousands? Or perhaps he's playing hard to get?:shock:

Hello, I've just decided to go through Fallout 2 again (the last time was around 2010... which is around the last, first, and only time I posted here) and decided to try some mods for the first time. I'm having an issue with this "MegaMod" though -- in Arroyo, Sly Fox (Jordan?) told me to come back with a sharpened spear and gave me a hint about Mynoc, but when I talk to Mynoc he doesn't have anything to say about a sharpened spear. What am I missing?

Back