V.A.T.S. is NOT a combat system

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by HoKa, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Touquet

Touquet Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 20, 2007
    For me I see VATS like a slow motion mode like in Max Payne or F.E.A.R...
    It's not a turn base system at all... the action are at the same time except that your character fire more time the the enemies.
    So it's some king of an advantage for a player with many action points because you have more probabilities to kill someone using the VATS system than the normal environment.

2. DOF_power

DOF_power First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008

As opposed to the old assisted targeting where you kill somebody/something and don't take any damage cause he/she/it is dead when its turn comes ?!

I felt quite a satisfaction when first taking damage in VATS, it's was "damn this ain't turn based anymore".

3. Hroesvelgr

Hroesvelgr First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008
    Which is why choosing to max out Agility and take Action Boy is even MORE important in this game than it was in the others.

4. Touquet

Touquet Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 20, 2007
    you get a point,now it's not useless to get this park; Action boy(if he still exist :))

I remember in F2 with high sequence and good wepaon+skill using the target system and killing two lennemies before anyone moved...
    Now that it's impossible because the game "enviromment".

5. Ar1z

Ar1z First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2008
    Since it takes place in fallout universe i think it gets to be named fallout. Other that that I agree with you. If you remove SPECIAL, skills and perks it plays like stalker.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008

7. Ar1z

Ar1z First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2008
    I didn't wrote 3... ;)

8. HoKa

HoKa Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 23, 2007
    For the last time, people, your enemies don't use it.

It's not a combat system. It's a gimmick. Is it really that hard to process?

9. oihrebwe

oihrebwe Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 15, 2008
    actually from many hours of playing I'm pretty sure that the AI is not set up to lag a moving target and the aimbot-like accuracy that results from that is pretty much what you're getting with VATS

of course the correct solution to this would be to teach RADIANT AI!!! to lag moving targets rather than to give the player his own aimbot but I wouldn't hold my breath

10. Bal-Sagoth

Bal-Sagoth Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Nov 1, 2008
    Yawn.... and I say it is a system that your player uses in combat!

Thus... (wait for it).... A COMBAT SYSTEM

Ta da opinions are great now are they not? :D

11. KraLMeLK0R

KraLMeLK0R First time out of the vault

Oct 31, 2008
    For me VATS is making the aiming more easy in some situations and makes you use it to see more eye-candied cinematic deaths. If you ask me nothing could be done better than VATS in an Oblivion style game.

If you have 3-4 enemies coming towards you, in the heat of the battle it is easier to make an order of shooting them. The poblem is I havent seen any effects on facial crippling.

As far as I know implementing a total combat system like KoToR in this game is equal to creating another game.

Oblivion engine allows this much modification at most.

12. Ulysses

Ulysses It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 31, 2008
    Actually if it only works for the player, it's more of a combat mechanic. I take a combat system to mean the way combat is managed for all parties. So it's a real-time combat system but you have VATS as a mehanic.

13. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 24, 2004
    There is an ability call 'dodging', you know...
    Or 'circle strafing'.
    Yes I treat FO 3 like a FPS game but because Bethesda made it that way. :ugly:

14. gommjabbar

gommjabbar First time out of the vault

Nov 6, 2008
    I wouldn't be so sure when stating that. What does VATS do? It allows you to queue your shots but lets not forget that you can't queue up infinitely so when you are fighting 3-4 super mutants you are lucky if you take 1 or two down before you are out of action points and back to real time. But the most important feature of VATS is that you can target weapons, limbs etc. Now, if you have played the game in hard or very hard mode you would have noticed that you get crippled limbs in some encounters which pretty much states that enemy's also target your limbs.
    In conclusion, I believe that NPC's also use their very own VATS, they just use it in real time. I don't particularly enjoy shooters and, had it not been for VATS, I would probably not enjoy the game at all. And I don't think its cheating. If you are skilled in shooter games it really doesn't help you that much seeing as how it doesn't increase your damage or anything like that.

15. Nodder

Nodder It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 28, 2008
    I agree that VATS is kind of like Bullet Time. But to call bullet time a "cheating system"? Video game heroes tend to be, ya know, heroic? So they usually have Perks that make them better than the mooks you fight. Cheating?

16. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, it's bullet time on steroids. But it's not quite as bad as many people say.

17. lewis

lewis It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 3, 2008
    if vats were permanent, you could move and the npc could benefict from it, them it can be called a combat system.

18. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    VATS would be useless to NPCs. It's just a method for humans to make aimed shots. This is useless to NPCs, since they don't need to slow down the world to do this.

In other words: it should be impossible to note the difference between an NPC using VATS and one not using VATS.

19. lewis

lewis It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 3, 2008
    if VATS stop the time it must be a way to make the player to move when uses it, adding the same points to shot but in this case to move, them keep the time stoped for the player and let the npc make limited moves and shot, once their done them the player may move and shot again (something like simulating a turn-based system)

20. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    No, because other people don't get extra movement in VATS. If I understand correctly what you're saying, which is doubtful.

Look, when a player uses VATS, nothing changes for the NPCs. They move at the same speed and they take the same actions. Conversely, when an NPC uses VATS a PC shouldn't be able to notice.