Wasteland 2 releases on September 19th

I was watching some footage on YouTube, basically people playing the beta, and I don't know about this game, man. Gameplay reminds me of FOT, but now imagine having to play through FOT with only turnbased combat. Yeah, that's hell. It's probably just the beta, but I didn't expect the game to be so combat heavy.

I was watching some footage on YouTube, basically people playing the beta, and I don't know about this game, man. Gameplay reminds me of FOT, but now imagine having to play through FOT with only turnbased combat. Yeah, that's hell. It's probably just the beta, but I didn't expect the game to be so combat heavy.

That is the only way that I would ever play Fallout:Tactics. Thankfully [unless they've kept a wild covert secret from us all; and shame on them if so], Wasteland 2 is indeed a strictly turn based combat system.

Last edited:

Wasteland 1 was a strictly turn-based system. So I'm not sure why you expected this one not to be.

Anyway, there are quests, and dialogue tress, and choice and consequence, and all the other sorts of goodies you'd expect to find in a Wasteland game. Also Toaster Repair. It's Wasteland, not FOT.

It's Wasteland, not FOT.
Not by much though... For all intents, it's essentially Fallout Tactics [TB] gameplay, with an RPG centric dialog and story. I'm not knocking it ~because I've not played a decent [recent] Fallout game in years, but they could have made it a lot closer to Wasteland in form & function; using animated versions of their painted portraits, and a Wasteland style phase based combat system.

As it is, it's basically FO:Tactics gamplay without the RT option, and with Fallout's dialog system (which had keywords).

Last edited:
I love turnbased and I didn't expect anything else from WL2, but I don't like excess combat. Personally, I find TB is fine and lots of fun in games like Fallout and Fallout 2, where it's really not that common and can even be avoided. That's why I never finished JA2, for instance, and it's why I was actually glad that FOT came with the possibility of RT combat. I'd need a day just to get through one map of FOT if I used TB. I just can't do a thing like that, no matter how much I like the other parts of the game.
But again: that's just me. From what I've seen so far, combat in WL2 just seems very repetitive and, yes, boring. Maybe it's the beta, but to me every battle looks exactly like the previous one.

If it's any consolation, you can avoid pretty much any random encounter if one of your characters has a high-enough Outdoorsman skill. And you can pick up a follower at the beginning (unless they changed it from the beta) that has one.

Wasteland 2

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Goddamn, this september-october will be hard. And I didn't even begin playing Assassin's Creed 4, despite AC Unity incoming. Has anyone develop time dilation fields yet? :V

I love turn Based combat, but I have to give Alec that. TB combat, can become quite repetitive. That is at least the case with JA2. And also with F1/2. Not that it bothers me. I love JA2 for its combat. But I can understand where his criticism is coming from.

A lot of people played JA2 without doing a lot of combat, ghosting through the jungle at night and moving immediately to assassinate the enemy leader (what was her name, Dierdre?) instead of engaging in lots of battles.

Wasteland 2

Goddamn, this september-october will be hard. And I didn't even begin playing Assassin's Creed 4, despite AC Unity incoming. Has anyone develop time dilation fields yet? :V

Not mentionning the re-release of Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall Director's cut & Metro Redux.

I juuuust realized that I backed a tier that gave me access to the digital novellas, so I've started reading those to get pumped for the game.

Wasteland 2

Not mentionning the re-release of Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall Director's cut & Metro Redux.

AND there are also the TV series!

- Walking Dead season 5
- Arrow season 2
- The Flash season 1

MADNESS!

Back