Weapons in Fallout 4?

Yeah if you clean out your weapon, maintain it by doing things like oiling it up it will last. The Mosin Nagant as I've seen can take one hell of a beating and still preform perfectly fine, won't jam on you if I recall correctly too, super reliable.

The real problem seems to be the amunition, partiicularly the powder, or what ever propelant is used. In most cases even with perfect condition, it might hold only for a couple of years. Decade or so at best.

I can personally attest that this is not correct. When I was in Iraq, we were shooting .50BMG that was made in the 1940's ('43 or '45, IIRC). Well-made cartridges will last a long time as long as they are kept from corroding so much that the casing falls apart. 200 years is still probably pushing it, however.

What surprise me is the lack of blacksmith. There is so many iron and steel left right and left in the wasteland, and no town or village have someone to smelt it to produce tool for farming or construction. There ought to be somebody who would think that they shouldn't let all this good ore left to rust.

Wasn't it implied that the Commonwealth's progression was unintentionally stunted by the hands of the Institute? I mean, their super mutants wrecking every caravan and town, and then their synths wiping out settlements like University Point for a single component (University Point was arguably one of the most potentially advanced settlements from the looks of it). Blacksmiths might've popped up in some of the better settlements, but then got taken out by one of the Institute's creation.

So they destroy settlements left and right looking for small components, pre-war parts, records, and escaped synths, plus they accidentally let loose another strain of FEV. All in all, there probably wasn't much chance for anyone to advance far enough to attempt smithing. Or at least someone did, but then them and everything around them got burnt down because the Institute needed another sensor module. Whoops.

Still, it's only an assumption. But considering how many places get wiped out by synths, yet the Institute remaining only a rumour, it just seems obvious that they just destroy places completely, whether they intend to or not.

The big problem as far as I can read, are not the weapons, they can indeed work even after quite a long time, I mean seriously, you have some weapon collectors owning guns from the civil war era or the napoleonic times, and they still work! Or weapons from WW1 and WW2. They can take quite some punishment.

The real problem seems to be the amunition, partiicularly the powder, or what ever propelant is used. In most cases even with perfect condition, it might hold only for a couple of years. Decade or so at best.

Isn't ammunition easier to produce than firearms themselves? There are plenty of repurpose-able factories and industrial buildings in the Commonwealth. Sure, none of them was actually being used (gotta have more feral ghoul dungeons :roll:), but when it comes down to it, if say the Gunners needed ammunition they could just invade one and start repurposing it. I'm not actually sure what precise equipment you would need for ammunition production though, but even then, it's the United States and finding the remains of a gun factory shouldn't be too hard.

I'm very confident that the Gunners, who use guns and turrets like they're going out of style, can't just pull military-level amounts of ammunition out from their asses. Bethesda tried to imply there were more complex works behind everything, but didn't actually want to show it, so as to save the time and effort of actually doing the "show not tell" games are supposed to do. Functional ammo manufacturing and weapon production probably exists, conveniently "located" outside the game map where we can't access it.

Damn Bethesda. At least the R91 assault rifle in Fallout 3 was applicable and made sense. The Assault rifle in Fallout 4 is just big unwieldly, I wouldn't see pre war militaries yielding such a weapon. It would've done better as a SAW or LMG.
Well, actually the current bulky "Assault Rifle" is named "Machine Gun" in the game archive. There's an unfinished real Assault Rifle model, a high-def FO3 Chinese Assault Rifle.
I guess they don't have time to finish it, so they just rename the machine gun to assault rifle and be done with it. But honestly even if they keep it as the machine gun, it still looks ridiculous.

Also pipe guns are overabundant (Lv33 now, and still run into bunch of raiders/super mutants with auto pipe guns), as if Bethesda wants to make them the staple weapon for FO4.
Not to mention nearly all weapons are overweighted, unless in FO4 Boston people use some smaller customary unit than Pound.

It's ridiculous even as a machinegun. This isn't the 1910s-30s. And the thought they left something unfinished and half-assed, while not surprising in the least, is preposterous after such a long development time.
The weapon actually reminds me of a M1917 machine gun with the iron sights of an anti aircraft gun. I wouldn't ever use that POS. I would rather battle rifle using full caliber ammunition like a 30.06 HCAR before I use that bulky monstrosity.

Back