What Remains: A Singleplayermod Basing on the FOnline Engine

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Surf Solar, Nov 23, 2010.

1. tester123

tester123 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 16, 2011
    any new updates?

2. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks for the interest tester123 :)

At the moment, we often hold story/sidestory crunch sessions and improve on some aspects of the setting. I've also needed to re-arrange most of the design docs (aka cleaning a huge mess ;D) since originally it wasn't planned that more than one guy (me) was needing the docs - so they were kind of messy and cluttered in many seperate files. Now, that more people help with, they needed to be re-arranged, because not everyone sees order in chaos like me. :P

So, as you can see, not much on fancy new screens to show there unfortunately. ;)

3. Wasjök

Wasjök First time out of the vault

Sep 13, 2011
    is it you on the game over screens (voice)?

4. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Wish I had a voice of a fine, but sinister sounding english elderly gentleman. ;) So no, it's not me, it's a voice machine software I used.

I tried to do some new scenery graphics today, but failed (or atleast it didn't reach my "standard" of "hey this looks great", so I gotta improve it when I'm more in the mood. That's why I decided to do yet another mockup with some new music track and an ingame location (well only parts of). Why this is called the Abyss and what those voices in the background are - you'll see in the game then. ;P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDQmuPMq4M[/youtube]

5. Azathoth

Azathoth First time out of the vault

Sep 2, 2011
    Fuck damn, that does not look like a Ghetto to me it looks like Stalker shadow of fucking tschernobyl...

"I thought this was America! Huh? Isn't this America?" Honestly, shit, fix that gogogo ?

6. Wasjök

Wasjök First time out of the vault

Sep 13, 2011
    can you post the tools name bro, or is it a secret? ;)

7. Dr Prozac

Dr Prozac First time out of the vault

Aug 1, 2011
    How's the work going?

8. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Work is a bit on hold since we are playing a wee bit on FOnline:2238 since it got updated, also some update on the engine introduced some nasty bugs (that apparently only occur for me :roll: ) which make the game run like a snail which basically means testing out stuff ingame becomes a chore. I hope it will be fixed asap. :/

Also, I have been thinking about to remove the worldmap travel alltogether and introduce a "worldmap" where you just click on the loaction you want to travel to and you're there. Before anyone screams "Blasphemy!" note that this decision is not set to stone yet. I basically want to remove grinding and the actual part of watching a spot on an image go from one point to the other - there is no "game" in that - it's only waiting. It'd also allow me to place encounters by hand, not with the "number of critters with this equipment spawns on this place" - I want it to be a bit more thorough than this. :)

9. Fallout1FTW

Fallout1FTW Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 25, 2010
    How many people are working on the mod... I thought you were the only one.

10. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    It's 3 people now, and some "Freelancers" who just commit some stuff they make every now and then. ;)

11. Fallout1FTW

Fallout1FTW Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 25, 2010
    Cool! I wish I would get help on my mod.
    But then again, maybe I should really make that gameplay video so people will become interested
    :wink:

12. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Well, I personally virtually know nothing about your mod - only that you work on something. Making it a bit more well known would help, yep. ;)

13. pablo

pablo First time out of the vault

Nov 10, 2011
    So this mod is different from the original Fallout by having things fucked up. Wow, I can't wait to play this mod when I need to be depressed and emotional. :)

14. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Yeah, occasionally I wander in and do some stuff :P

Truth be told I find this lack of professional attitude at my side fucking depressing.
    I am also promised to help out Lexx and I still have not done jack shit.
    The fact that I am writing this while I am at school tells a lot.

15. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Don't worry, as I said this should never feel like "work", but a thing you've fun doing. ;) If you don't have time/mood, it's always ok to slack off, I am not some evil company boss throwing schedules around left and right. :P

And here's a random picture \o/

16. Dr Prozac

Dr Prozac First time out of the vault

Aug 1, 2011
    I actually like the travel part, as long as it doesn't take too long. But I guess that this can easily be adjusted. Anyway IMHO the classic travel style isn't all that important. You could make your idea work with nice loading screens building the atmosphere up, so the player would not feel like he is teleporting.

17. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Baldur's Gate did this really well by including dozens of between-town wildernesses, with minor random encounters between those. That'd be the first place to go for inspiration if I were you

18. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Yeah, this is what I meant and got my inspiration from. :) Those wilderness areas were nice, albeit a bit too many and too few things to do. I'd do just a less of them, but with more meaningful content. Traversing from one of these maps to the next would then just fast forward the games time, just as when someone would move on the Fallout style worldmap.

19. tester123

tester123 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 16, 2011
    What progress?

20. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Aside from creating new graphics and writing dialogues, I couldn't do much lately, since the latest FOnline SDK revision seems to be bugged and runs even slower on my PC - plus I have a lot of private stuff going on at the moment and have more time in 2-3 weeks.

I've recently uploaded some ingame test video to show how the snow looks. It's here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfjvbRKQw[/youtube]

As you can see, it's a bit too overboard and the storm needs to be less severe, some of the scenery pieces need to be re-angled to the Fallout perspective (the junk barricades) etc. etc. Anyhow, it's progress - last time I tried this snow animation it ate almost 80% of my CPU power. :P