What was the Funniest Argument You've had with a Bethesda Apologist?

Objectively

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

"Fallout NV isn't a true Fallout game because it isn't about surving the post-apocalypse."

People for some inane reason think 'post apocolypse' means 'people eating dirt and shitting themselves to death alone and crying'.

The more likely scenario, as depicted in Fallout 1-2 is 'People rebuilding and trying to not eat dirt and shit themselves to death'.

People for some inane reason think 'post apocolypse' means 'people eating dirt and shitting themselves to death alone and crying'.

The more likely scenario, as depicted in Fallout 1-2 is 'People rebuilding and trying to not eat dirt and shit themselves to death'.

I agree completely. Fallout 3 and 4 seem more '20 years after the appcalypse' to me.

I agree completely. Fallout 3 and 4 seem more '20 years after the appcalypse' to me.

20 years after the bombs drop, people are already wearing leather retarded raider suits and hanging poeple for no reason?

Fallout 3 is more 'what if radiation caused severe brain damage, and nothing else', scenerio.

20 years after the bombs drop, people are already wearing leather retarded raider suits and hanging poeple for no reason?

Fallout 3 is more 'what if radiation caused severe brain damage, and nothing else', scenerio.

Raider armor does make zero sense.

'I'll walk around shirtless and my body will deflect shotgun shells!'

If you are arguing that anything not found in Fallout 1/Fallout 2 is not canon, you are arguing against Obsidian (the people who made Fallout) and Bethesda (the people who own Fallout). Besides that, you are basically invalidating the entire concept of sequels in Fiction.

What the hell? It's not just this guy either, everyone and their brother seems to have this bizare idea about "sequels" that just because someone bought something they can do whatever the fuck they want and we'd have to accept this new story as part of the main story itself ( even if they're contradictory ) because ..capitalism?

No one would think that way about books though. If i bought the rights to oliver twist and wrote a "sequel" where i messed up the backstory, no one would treat this new backstory as "cannon". In fact, they would probably mock me. Because books are mainly considered art. But games are basically considered to be products so it's totally cool, right? Kid in the fridge is now how ghouls work and if you don't like it you're nostalgic. It's ridiculous honestly.

Well, i don't care who "owns" the game and neither should anyone else, unless they're lawyers. Bethesda can write a sequel if they want, and it could be good or bad but honestly it would be good or bad fanfiction. And if they cared about the lore or if some of the original creators has some say in its making, i might even considered it to be partly a sequel ( new vegas ). But if they don't give a shit about the lore and none of the original creators were involved, why should i?

Shouldn't this be fucking obvious?

Ultimately whoever owns it, has final say, sadly.

But fuck Bethesda, they can't write for shit nowadays.

I personally hear loads of bethesda fans decry Fallout 1-2 simply due to their graphics and turnbased gameplay.

IMO, even today, Fallout 1-2 looks quite nice, at least in some areas, the animations and sprites are better than indie retrogarbage.

But if they don't give a shit about the lore and none of the original creators were involved, why should i?

Shouldn't this be fucking obvious?
This. Is what I've adopted as my mindset when dealing with canons and lore. If someone who owns the IP didn't care about canons, lore, and consistency (aka Pete "not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls." Hines), then why should I?

Pete can choke on Emil's member as far as I'm concerned. He's a grade A dip shit that's good at marketing (a product which sells itself already), and should not comment on anything related to the lore.

Pete can choke on Emil's member as far as I'm concerned. He's a grade A dip shit that's good at marketing (a product which sells itself already), and should not comment on anything related to the lore.
Emil did a pretty good job with oblivion. Especially its side and guild quests. Honestly I don't know WTF happened because ever since fo3...

But muh atmosphere!

Ultimately whoever owns it, has final say, sadly.

But fuck Bethesda, they can't write for shit nowadays.

I personally hear loads of bethesda fans decry Fallout 1-2 simply due to their graphics and turnbased gameplay.

IMO, even today, Fallout 1-2 looks quite nice, at least in some areas, the animations and sprites are better than indie retrogarbage.
To me, Fallout is dead. Even if Bethesda is somehow gone and the rights of the IP is handed over to the original team, people's expectations of the series has changed to totally different direction. Nothing short of time travel can save the series. It is better that people make their own series instead of hoping for a sequel.
No one would think that way about books though. If i bought the rights to oliver twist and wrote a "sequel" where i messed up the backstory, no one would treat this new backstory as "cannon". In fact, they would probably mock me. Because books are mainly considered art. But games are basically considered to be products so it's totally cool, right? Kid in the fridge is now how ghouls work and if you don't like it you're nostalgic. It's ridiculous honestly.
Books usually takes less people to make. I read "And Another Thing"; while I don't hate it, I do think of it as basically fanfic. Honestly, I liked the radioplay's ending better even if Douglas Adams was already dead by then. I guess you could give someone the credit for the series but then you risk the George Lucas syndrome.

I never understood why Bethesda fans want a world of dirt and retarded people.

Fallout 1-2 had whole cities thriving, but they weren't safe.

Mutant remnants, creatures, and tribals were dangers, not to mention the fucking enclave.

I am not sure they ever noticed that the writting was good in the originals.

They might think that the writting was improved by adding voices in their games.

Emil did a pretty good job with oblivion. Especially its side and guild quests. Honestly I don't know WTF happened because ever since fo3...

Emil's involvement in Oblivion was quest design. Kirkbride and Peterson provided additional writing and Ken Rolston was lead designer/writer - there were also a few other writers to my understanding, but Emil is not credited as a writer. That isn't to say he didn't write, though. It appears as though quest designers are pretty involved in the writing process for independent storylines - which is what Emil is good at (or supposed to be).

Almost any time I bring up Fallout in a conversation, it usually ends with me arguing with them.

Also reply #420 ;)

I never understood the "It's a bad game of this series, but it's still a good game overall" argument. Like people saying Fallout 4 is a bad Fallout game but a good game overall, how can it be good? If It's a bad game in its own series, so it's automatically bad overall.

It's a good game overall when it's compared to games from other series? That's means nothing, the game needs to be compared to the games of its own series.

The only exception i can think of where this would make sense is if the game is the very first of its own series, then it can be compared with other series because it still has no other games in its own series to compare itself to. This doesn't apply to Fallout 4 because there's already 4 main games to compare to.

Back