Why Fallout 3 is not as bad as most people on this forum think

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Arin Matthews, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    They must be getting bored waiting for Fallout 4.

2. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Barely literate Fallout 3 fans defending that pile of crap is par on course. The empty can rattles the loudest. Just another day on NMA.

3. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
    So were they just pretending to be Fallout 3 fans to troll us, or not? If they were not, how is it trolling exactly?

4. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    They have no arguments because their brains are mush and they never actually played the original game.

The only way to hide their ignorance is to claim troll status, do a lot of "LOL"s and pretend they don't care... all the while continuously posting.

5. DanTastic

DanTastic First time out of the vault

Oct 18, 2013
    I've been a lurker for quite some time, but after reading this thread and the frankly stunning amount of hate thrown toward the NMA community, I finally had to jump into the conversation.

The thing is, like a lot of people, I had never played Fallout prior to F3. Honestly, as a console-only gamer, the only game in the series I'd ever even heard of was Brotherhood of Steel. So when F3 hit, with its aggressive marketing and rave reviews, I decided to give it a whirl.

And I hated it. A lot.

My initial response (both on a gameplay and a story/presentation level) was so negative that I immediately shelved it and let it collect dust for a few months. My first breakthrough came via the William Strife youtube guides. Even though I wasn't enjoying the game, I at least had a better grasp of the core mechanics.

No, my big breakthrough with Fallout 3 came through discovering NMA and seeing that (finally!) other people had the same issues with the game I did, but were far more articulate in expressing them. Furthermore, while reading the 'Negative Impressions' and 'Things we learned from F3' threads, I began to appreciate the game as an unintentional absurdist comedy. The gaming world's Plan 9 From Outer Space if you will. So while F3 is a mess, it's a mess I've come to enjoy mightily thanks to seeing it through your lens. So big time kudos to you guys and gals.

6. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    Dan, you actually made that game far better for me with that comment.

EDIT: And I really mean it. I want to replay it, now.

7. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    No, you don't ;)

8. The Lost Hills Paladin

The Lost Hills Paladin First time out of the vault

Oct 13, 2013
    Re: Why Fallout 3 is not as bad as most people on this forum

They took a piss on the lore with Mothership Zeta. And they bastardized the concept of The Brotherhood!

9. Spacerace

Spacerace First time out of the vault

Aug 8, 2013
    I actually enjoyed Fallout 3, but thats based on personal enjoyment, not based on the issues and mechanics, ect. I agree it does kinda get too much flak on NMA. As long as its Fallout im down, Fallout 3 was kinda weaker than most of the series, though I still enjoyed it.

10. FalloutTroll

FalloutTroll Mfw no snow

Apr 7, 2013
    I played FO3 to death, i probably liked it because it was my first FO game

11. The Lost Hills Paladin

The Lost Hills Paladin First time out of the vault

Oct 13, 2013

Are you a troll? Because I swear I've seen your videos on youtube and I honestly want to punch you in the throat. I will agree with you that Fallout 3 was a pretty good game but its black and white main quest and highly linear storyline were annoying. It will never be any where near as good as FO 1 or 2

12. Kalasanty11

Kalasanty11 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 18, 2013

Arin most probably is a troll. He claims to be "video game scientist" working in Bioware. I have to believe he is a troll, otherwise I'd loose rest of my faith in humanity.
    The intersting fact is, he didn't even wrote down these arguments, he asked another fanboy to do it for him. Pathetic, hypocritical keyboard warrior, but he surprisingly seems to have great knowledge of franchise (for a F3 fanboy of course).

13. BarackSays

BarackSays It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 18, 2008
    You guys, Justin Bieber sells more copies than Queen and Led Zeppelin do today, this proves he's far superior to those bands. God, just move on you pathetic fags LAWLS!

14. Wumbology

Wumbology Actually a sentient CRT

Mar 5, 2013
    God, you could enjoy ANYTHING this way...

15. FOvet

FOvet Wandering the Wastelands

Aug 26, 2012
    Wow, I have to say, I'm very diapointed with some of the people on this forum; I took about a year? break, because some IRL family issues came up, and now I return to see this? People getting pissy with a guy who points out that Fallout 3 *might* not be so lore breaking as some make it out to be? Get a friggin grip, why don't you? So much hate, just because one person says "Hey, I like FO3, and there's ACTUAL EVIDENCE that support much of the premises behind the way Bethesda portrayed things."

As for fucking up the BoS, no they didn't. In fact, they make it quite clear that Lyon's BoS is NOT THE NORM! They say as much, it's why the outcasts friggin left--they are on their way back to California, because Lyons "went native." I think most players can understand, from the NOT SO SUBTLE HINTS dropped in the game that Lyons is not representative of the BoS as a whole. And those who don't see that, weren't paying attention. That's not Bethesda's fault.

And before you start getting pissy with me being "another FO3 fangirl" let me tell I'm a fan of the original FO games as well, PLUS have read the FObible. I'm not stupid when it comes to the lore, and FO3 really ISN'T as lore breaking as people claim it is. Yeah it has it's flaws, yeah it's not *perfect* but neither is FO1 and FO2.

16. Wumbology

Wumbology Actually a sentient CRT

Mar 5, 2013
    I would agree, FOvet, but there are far more problems. If anything, lore violations are the least of this game's problems.

17. FOvet

FOvet Wandering the Wastelands

Aug 26, 2012
    THAT I would agree with, Wumbology. Like the unsolved glitches and shit. Honestly, as much as I do like FO3, the technical issues really pissed me off. I mean, for a fully released game (ie not a beta) there were a LOT of problems.

18. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    There were a lot of problems with the writting, the mechanics and the questing.

19. naossano

naossano So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Oct 19, 2006
    I may have forgotten a lot, but Fo3 doesn't seem do use most of the previous games canon.

They use their own Fev, their own Enclave/BOS chapter, and use the same background for the war. (Ho, and lame running instant ghouls...)

The rest is fortunatly new contents. Not that they make sense, but at least, it leave the ability to forget that Fo3 and other Fo are set in the same fictional universe.

If they manage to avoid any references to obsidians games, i could actually believe that there are to different franchises and universes, with the same name.

20. vipparn

vipparn First time out of the vault

Feb 10, 2014
    Just wanted to add my 5 cents as to why i dislike fallout 3, and its simply that bethesda made a linear FPS rpg, and then called it Fallout 3, wich means we will never see a true followup to the great series i played for years(and still do every now and then). the line is broken and if there is coming another fallout it will still probably be made by bethesda, into another shitty fps rpg, with dreadful dialogue and feel like a chore rather than amusement to go trough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.