Your Favourite Fallout game?

Your favorite Fallout game

• Total voters
I have to say the the first because it had an atmosphere that felt real and as bleak as a blown up world should, something no other game in the series has really done, for me at least. It also has a better story than fallout 2, despite how they strung together finding the chip and destroying the Master with the overseer saying something like 'somebody's making mutants.'

Although I think fallout 3 did a lot of stuff right, it did way to much wrong to be considered a true fallout game.

I voted Fallout 2, because, it's the only Fallout I kept playing over and over and over. No doubt that Fallout 1 has a better atmosphere, but, it's too short and I feel there is a more limited freedom of choices because of that.

I won't comment on Fallout 3 or Tactics, but they are both great games, altough not in the true Fallout spirit.

Fallout 2: 10/10 The best of the series: brilliantly funny, challenging and expansive

Fallout 1: 9.8/10: Absolutely fantastic, near-flawless game, with only one problem: there wasn't enough of it!

Fallout 3: 8.5/10: Fun gameplay (especially with the right mods) and a beautiful art direction. Robust set of DLC offerings, as well. Too bad the writing was terrible.

Ties between 1 & 2, but I'll vote for 1.

P.S. How the hell did FOBOS get a vote? Someone missed a button?

Probably a super mutant somehow got in and voted.

I would also ask how would Tactics got 3 votes, does the Brotherhood have 3 agents among us?

My favorite is Fallout 1, because it's the first one I played and it has the best atmosphere.

New Vegas for me. While the story of FO1 and 2 were great, I've never been enamored with the turn-based combat. FO3 was fast and furious at times but ultimately shallow. New Vegas has the best of both worlds.

jerriecan said:
New Vegas for me. While the story of FO1 and 2 were great, I've never been enamored with the turn-based combat. FO3 was fast and furious at times but ultimately shallow. New Vegas has the best of both worlds.

You must be pretty new to Fallout games then?

Fallout (10, one of the best games ever made) > New Vegas (9.5, too many bugs and combat is too easy, otherwise a great game) > Fallout 2 (9.0, too much silly pop culture stuff) > Fallout 3 (7.0, fun enough to run around, explore and kill stuff if you turn off brain) > Fallout Tactics (6.5, an ok game but clearly much worse than something like Jagged Alliance) > FOBOS (Did not play, too stupid looking to even bother)

I voted for Fallout 2 and just put it ahead by one vote! Sorry about that, people who voted F1. I actually think that the original is better in many ways, it feels better constructed, better paced, more focused. The mood and atmosphere are perfectly judged. The thing is, Fallout 2 improves certain things that really needed to be sorted out and adds a load of things to do outside the main quest, so it just edges ahead for me.

Some notable improvements are that it's nice to actually control your party members better now - it was horribly implemented in F1 - and them generally having talking heads and personal quests makes them feel more like a real person rather than an NPC who (generally) follows you around for no apparent reason. The biggest strike against F2 for me is that the starting phase of the game is shit - the ant temple is one of the worst intros to a game ever, and it takes a while after that to get warmed up - and that, rather like F3 and FNV actually, it's way too easy to get distracted from the main quest and spend ages doing other things. Good for the sense of freedom, bad for the pacing of the plot and the feeling that you're doing something important.

F3 meant nothing to me, I couldn't even be bothered to find your father by going east, though I did still play around in it for about 12 hours before I drifted away from it. FNV seems better but I haven't really seen yet how it's all that much better than F3 - I definitely need to get back to the main quest, though. Tactics is a good game in its own right, but I can't see it in the same light as the main series.

Normally I'd vote Fallout but after discovering the restoration patch I have to say Fallout 2.

I play vegas over and over again. It gives me the same feeling I got when I was playing fallout, more so than any other fallout game.

I'll admit I don't play the original as often, because it's not as big and it's more difficult to play. But the story, the atmosphere, the writing, the choice is beautiful.

Fallout is simply a masterwork of a game. It has my vote for top game. Seconded only by New Vegas, which in it's own right it's own great game set in the same universe.

The Fallout series as a whole is beutifully written and has a great atmosphere. Overall, only 1 FO game is pants and that's bos. The rest is beutifully written and epic. Even FO3 is beutiful in its own way

For me, Fallout 2, just as good as FO1, but with improved interface and gameplay.

I also didn't really hate FO3 too much in the beginning, the initial quests in the Vault were OK, pretty nice to see a vault form the inside, even though it was quite repetitive.

But the thing I hated most was how random the outside was, sure, a atomic blast surely would cause a mess, but it felt like all the rubble was swiped to certain areas of the game.

Not to mention that, I find weird that 200 years after the blast, no one tried to rebuild or establish anything, just people living in a bunch of scrapped houses. Sure building roads would be hard since the technologies to make asphalt (for example) would be lost, bust not even make a decent house for yourself? I doubt so.

Reminds me too of how much silly stuff I saw that ruined the experience for me, the giant ants experiment, Megaton, the 2 dresses as animated series villains, Mothership Zeta (which serioulsy pissed the hell out of me since I felt completely lost after a while in there).

That also minding that I played FO3 before FO1&2.

When talking about the, let's call it "first fallout generation" ( fallout, fallout and tactics) I would go for fallout 2. it's a tough choice but i prefer fallout 2 rather than 1 mostly because of the enclave, i also like that u can play after you've finished it, oh almost forgot killap restoration project is amazing.
In the "second fallout generation" I'll go for NV, even though i haven't finished it, it's waaaay better than fallout 3.( thank you obsidian) :D

Fallout 2 definately, just a better, bigger and more fun game all around than Fallout, which I never really could get into, I didn't even like it's story that much to be honest.

Back