Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.0 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPOILER

Don't know if this was already picked up on; but you can get as many Limited Edition Red Ryder BB guns from Sierra Army Depot as you like or can carry. Apparently, the RP will allow you to revive as many Private Dobbs as you like, and each time Dobbs runs out to rejoin his unit, he melts (from some medical reason) leaving the weapon on his remains. He won't have the weapon on him if you kill him beforehand, nor will he run unless you first talk to him. Even if you don't need several BB guns, you can still do this to get the BB ammo as each is fully loaded.

The Regular One said:
I have already put the problem in the tech wiki ralphrepo

Thanks, Regular One, sorry for cluttering the board then.

On a totally different note, not a bug but just an observation and comment; the supposedly Chinese girl in Hibernation? Why does she have such a Japanese sounding name? Was that a linguistic oversight on the part of the developers (ie not being able to tell one Asian language from another) or was there a specific in game background story reason for her to be named Kitsune?

Is there any issue with visions of Hakinin and his warnings ? A few months have left since I left Arroyo and now I'm in October and haven't seen any of his dream messages. There should be at leat one in Jul-Oct perdiod :/

ralphrepo said:
On a totally different note, not a bug but just an observation and comment; the supposedly Chinese girl in Hibernation? Why does she have such a Japanese sounding name? Was that a linguistic oversight on the part of the developers (ie not being able to tell one Asian language from another) or was there a specific in game background story reason for her to be named Kitsune?

By "developers", are you referring to the original Fallout 2 developers, or to the developers of the RP? Because the original Fallout 2 developers had nothing to do with Kitsune. All killap had to go off of from the original developers is that they planned to include three new npcs "on ice" at the EPA, and which one you got depended on your skills. There were no details beyond that, so killap contracted three writers to write each of the characters from scratch. We wanted to fill in some of the missing NPC gaps and so we decided to make one a black dude, one a female, and one an evil psychopath (I'm the one that wrote the evil psychopath).

As for your observation about Kitsune having a Japanese name despite being Chinese, I noticed that as well and pointed it out to killap, but I don't think he wanted to mess with it.

smilodom said:
If "Killap" don`t want to change the name he might change the nationality... :mrgreen:

Then that would certainly change the background story of US v China war, and the inherent internal conflicts of interests within the Kitsune character. And thank you, to Dravean for the explanation.

Another don't know if this is a bug but... situation; after getting to level 65 or so, I finally decided to do some of the New Reno quest that I had ignored. Talking to the children in front the the Wrights, I was transported to the desert to witness the transactions between Salvatore's men and the Enclave.

At this point of the game, I had already wiped out Navarro and had killed Salvatore long beforehand. I witnessed a part of the conversation and then decided to attack. Needless to say, by this point of the game, both Enclave troopers and Salvatore's men were no match for me and my team (skynet, marcus, cassidy, vic, kitsune, & sulik). After killing all the enemy, I boarded the Vertibird, and was transported to a helipad. The game then locked up with no mouse cursor. The characters would still talk to one another (the floating text msg) but that was all.

LOL, did I break something?

Also, I went to look for Mrs. Wright, to talk with her after she went herself to learn the truth of her Husband continuing to make and sell liquor; she was supposed to wait in the church, except that I found her at the very bottom of the exit grid in front of New Reno Arms. I was nonetheless still able to talk to her by standing to the far right bottom of the screen, still on regular grid (not exit) area.

Killap, I would STRONGLY recommend to add 1st such sentence in release readme:
- fresh Fallout install (no SAVES) with RP is A MUST, otherwise no warrianty could be applied ;)
That way you'll have something/excuse to blame if something (and it surely will) goes wrong :-)
Sentences as "may be used, but you will miss" are too long for the statistical user. Even readme is a total crap - it's more fun to hang for 3 days in this forum asking/demanding/pleading for help...

killap said:
They will be compatible, but I HIGHLY recommend starting a new game. Too many reports are the result of broken installations, corrupted save games, etc. Doing a fresh install of the game and starting with a new 2.1 character is truly the best way to go. 2.1 is a significant maintenance release, which is why I say this. Still, 2.0x saves are just fine. You will miss out on map fixes from locations you have already been to though.

Btw, was there any feedback from the original devs regarding the RP? I'm wondering if they're pleased with the way the game changed with it...

Taleyran said:
Btw, was there any feedback from the original devs regarding the RP? I'm wondering if they're pleased with the way the game changed with it...
I messaged Chris Taylor at Interplay, with an image from RP, he seemed pretty happy with what he saw, and he mentioned he showed the guys at Interplay, but I have no idea whether he actually download the RP and played it, secretly I think he did…being an old time gamer, and Fallout was one of his most valued babies. He is a very nice guy and answers any questions regarding Fallout. :wink:

during the night, secretly under his pillow :-D

offtopic, but couldn't resist to reply...

.Pixote. said:
I messaged Chris Taylor at Interplay, with an image from RP, he seemed pretty happy with what he saw, and he mentioned he showed the guys at Interplay, but I have no idea whether he actually download the RP and played it, secretly I think he did…being an old time gamer, and Fallout was one of his most valued babies. He is a very nice guy and answers any questions regarding Fallout. :wink:

Yes, well, it happened twice at least. Third time I just ran away. I tried to initiate combat with the robot.

I rescued Torr with no problem.

I ran into a small bug, I don't know if it's because of the RP but when I talk to Balthas after giving him Jonnhy's BB gun he'll copy the last dialog of the last NPC you spoke with.

After I rescued Jonnhy his dialog went back to normal, so it's no big deal... Just something that scared me a bit.

.Pixote. said:
Taleyran said:

What about the ones who moved to Obsidian?

ralphrepo said:
smilodom said:
If "Killap" don`t want to change the name he might change the nationality... :mrgreen:

Then that would certainly change the background story of US v China war, and the inherent internal conflicts of interests within the Kitsune character. And thank you, to Dravean for the explanation.

It's possible (though unlikely due to the unfriendly nature between Japan and China) that Kitsune's parents simply wanted to give her an exotic name, and so they gave her a Japanese one. At least, that's how I justify it to myself.

I'm not sure what Kitsune's original author intended, but I'm guessing it was simply an oversight. I believe her author posts on this forum, so maybe he'll speak up about it. I don't recall off hand who the author is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back