Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.0 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dravean said:
ralphrepo said:
smilodom said:
If "Killap" don`t want to change the name he might change the nationality... :mrgreen:

Then that would certainly change the background story of US v China war, and the inherent internal conflicts of interests within the Kitsune character. And thank you, to Dravean for the explanation.

It's possible (though unlikely due to the unfriendly nature between Japan and China) that Kitsune's parents simply wanted to give her an exotic name, and so they gave her a Japanese one. At least, that's how I justify it to myself.

I'm not sure what Kitsune's original author intended, but I'm guessing it was simply an oversight. I believe her author posts on this forum, so maybe he'll speak up about it. I don't recall off hand who the author is though.

I agree that it is possible, but given the cultural importance that Chinese have towards names of their children, I find it highly improbable that any Chinese family would ever consider naming their child with a Japanese name. This is aside from the political history between the two nations. Chinese generally consider names so important that many traditionalist Chinese would actually pay someone to come up with names that have significant meaning and would bestow luck or fortune on one's child. There's an old adage in Chinese that speaks to this, stating how it is worse off for one to be born with a bad name, over being born into a bad life, because a life you can change, but a name will always follow you.

At any rate, I find her character to be wholly refreshing. She asks Marcus if he wants to arm wrestle and asks if Vic wants to lose weight, LOL...

ralphrepo said:
I agree that it is possible, but given the cultural importance that Chinese have towards names of their children, I find it highly improbable that any Chinese family would ever consider naming their child with a Japanese name. This is aside from the political history between the two nations. Chinese generally consider names so important that many traditionalist Chinese would actually pay someone to come up with names that have significant meaning and would bestow luck or fortune on one's child. There's an old adage in Chinese that speaks to this, stating how it is worse off for one to be born with a bad name, over being born into a bad life, because a life you can change, but a name will always follow you.

Speaking as a Hong Kong-born Chinese that comes from a very traditional Chinese background, I have to partially agree with ralphrepo. The importance of a name to a Chinese cannot be overemphasized. It is not merely a designation, but a key part of the Chinese core identity. Having the right name versus the wrong name could literally determine your career! And this does not take into account the traditional hostilities between the two cultures, to which raphrepo briefly alluded.

Having said that, though, this importance is placed on the Chinese name. Many of us do not pick an English name unless we were born overseas, or we immigrate overseas. Therefore, there's much less "pickiness" when it comes to English names. Heck, I know a person who gave herself the English name of "Pity" because she thought that the word sounded cute! To be sure, a traditionalist Chinese would still pay some attention to the meaning of an English name (it is a name afterall, and names are important), but nowhere near the level of scrutiny and thought given to a Chinese name.

So...would a Chinese pick a Japanese sounding name as their original name? Highly unlikely. Would the same Chinese pick a Japanese sounding name as their "English" name? More probable, but overall still unlikely.

Just my 2 cents,

-- The Haen.

I will admit that I never really thought about the name nor can I comment on the actual intentions of the writer. I do recall having a brief discussion of Japanese influence on Kitsune though. That was awhile ago... The writer's nickname is encinodude, and he has posted here at NMA in the last few months. No harm in asking, I suppose.

Well, there may be a simpler explanation to this matter. Actually, even few of them.

Firstly, we don't know the exact geopolitical circumstances in Easter Asia at the time of the Nuclear War. China, being much larger country in term of population than Japan, should emit a vast influence towards it's neighbors when China's GDP per capita will be comparable to that of developed countries (which should happen in couple of decades if PRC will maintain it's current GDP growth rate). When that happens, the total GDP of China will be 10 times that of Japan's. This will economically make Japan a relatively small country compared to China. Like modern Denmark or Slovakia in comparison with United Kingdom. That being said, in year 2077 Japan could be China’s satellite state so it won't be that uncommon for population migrations between two countries, Japanese fighting alongside Chinese troops and so on...
Though a honestly doubt the guy who wrote the character really took that to consideration while naming her. :)

I actually posted on NMA when the latest version of the RP was released, saying that I would download it right away. However, I remembered that the NPC leveling bug in the last version screwed my game, so I decided to wait until killap released further patches or at least confirmed that the bug had been eradicated. Moreover, I'm working on a mod that overhauls most if not all of the Fallout 3 player dialogue (couldn't take the shitty writing anymore), and that has kept me busy.

Anyhow, I knew this Kitsune thing would come up, since there are quite a few Chinese members on the forums. She's called Kitsune because I wanted to name her after the Nine-Tailed Fox, but in Chinese (Hu Li Jing) it also has the double meaning of "bitch" or "loose woman" or something to that effect. I was supposed to include an explanation in the dialogue of why she has a Japanese codename despite being Chinese, but I forgot all about it. I have plans to expand Kitsune's character further, but that depends on whether killap is even up for it.

Hey can anyone tell me how I can get on to the shi sub? I'm trying to get the tanker to set sail in SA and I have installed the FOB, navcom and also have given it fuel. I have completed all the Shi quests and have eliminated the hubologists, etc.

I accessed the emperor mainframe and got all the info I could from that as well as add my name to the technicians list or something.

I take it that gives me access to the Shi Sub so that I can stop it from blowing up the tanker, etc. So how to I access it? lol

Also how can I fly the vertibird to the oil rig instead, ive destroyed everyone at the navarro base. I've pretty much completed most of the game apart from the oil rig and bits and pieces.

encinodude said:
I actually posted on NMA when the latest version of the RP was released, saying that I would download it right away. However, I remembered that the NPC leveling bug in the last version screwed my game, so I decided to wait until killap released further patches or at least confirmed that the bug had been eradicated. Moreover, I'm working on a mod that overhauls most if not all of the Fallout 3 player dialogue (couldn't take the shitty writing anymore), and that has kept me busy.

Anyhow, I knew this Kitsune thing would come up, since there are quite a few Chinese members on the forums. She's called Kitsune because I wanted to name her after the Nine-Tailed Fox, but in Chinese (Hu Li Jing) it also has the double meaning of "bitch" or "loose woman" or something to that effect. I was supposed to include an explanation in the dialogue of why she has a Japanese codename despite being Chinese, but I forgot all about it. I have plans to expand Kitsune's character further, but that depends on whether killap is even up for it.

To shed some light on this, "Hu Li Jing" literally means "Fox (Hu Li) Spirit (Jing)". In most Chinese myths, these spirits have nine tails, and tend to take on the form of beautiful young women. Hu Li Jing usually display malicious behaviour, and are regarded by most to be a force for evil. This is why the term in modern day usage is considered a grave insult: if you call a young lady a "Hu Li Jing", you are basically saying that she's a good looking woman with evil intentions (i.e. an adulteress/seductress). I don't think I really need to point out why that has a very negative connotation. :P

I really cannot see anyone who would name their daughter after such infamous spirits -- it would just be as "bad" as giving one's son or daughter a Japanese name as their Chinese name.

That said, "Kitsune" is much more innocent sounding. According to my girlfriend (who studied Japanese linguistics), "kitsune" is simply the Japanese word for any fox. It can also refer to fox spirits in Japanese myths, but apparently foxes are held in somewhat higher regard in Japan compared to China.

-- The Haen.

So I stole the Ranger map in NCR and used it to get the safehouse location, and the map disappeared? Is this working as intended? Why would a map disappear after you read it? Now I can't turn it in for profit.

Dragula said:
So I stole the Ranger map in NCR and used it to get the safehouse location, and the map disappeared? Is this working as intended? Why would a map disappear after you read it? Now I can't turn it in for profit.
That was an oversight on my part. I remove items with scripts attached to them once you use them - prevents the too many items bug from happening. I had forgotten that the map serves multiple purposes. This will be fixed in the upcoming 2.1 release.

killap, did you see this in the other thread?
valcik said:
...i've noticed small issue in RP 2.0: with more than one lighter in the inventory, dude can't smoke cigarettes. If he has exactly one lighter in his pocket, everything works fine.
I thought the long haired dude was missing the animations but now I know why he couldn't smoke.

killap said:
That was an oversight on my part. I remove items with scripts attached to them once you use them - prevents the too many items bug from happening. I had forgotten that the map serves multiple purposes. This will be fixed in the upcoming 2.1 release.
One of the Military Base holodisks (outside of the base) also disappears after the use, but the others don't.

Darek said:
killap, did you see this in the other thread?
valcik said:
...i've noticed small issue in RP 2.0: with more than one lighter in the inventory, dude can't smoke cigarettes. If he has exactly one lighter in his pocket, everything works fine.
I thought the long haired dude was missing the animations but now I know why he couldn't smoke.
Yep, and it's fixed now.

NovaRain said:
One of the Military Base holodisks (outside of the base) also disappears after the use, but the others don't.
Err, really? The holodisk shouldn't (and doesn't for me) but the San Fran survey map does get removed. This was what happened in the vanilla game, so I'm leaving it as is.

Haenlomal said:
encinodude said:

To shed some light on this, "Hu Li Jing" literally means "Fox (Hu Li) Spirit (Jing)". In most Chinese myths, these spirits have nine tails, and tend to take on the form of beautiful young women. Hu Li Jing usually display malicious behaviour, and are regarded by most to be a force for evil. This is why the term in modern day usage is considered a grave insult: if you call a young lady a "Hu Li Jing", you are basically saying that she's a good looking woman with evil intentions (i.e. an adulteress/seductress). I don't think I really need to point out why that has a very negative connotation. :P

I really cannot see anyone who would name their daughter after such infamous spirits -- it would just be as "bad" as giving one's son or daughter a Japanese name as their Chinese name.

That said, "Kitsune" is much more innocent sounding. According to my girlfriend (who studied Japanese linguistics), "kitsune" is simply the Japanese word for any fox. It can also refer to fox spirits in Japanese myths, but apparently foxes are held in somewhat higher regard in Japan compared to China.

-- The Haen.

Yep. Anyhow, like I said, it's her codename, not her given name.

killap said:
NovaRain said:
Err, really? The holodisk shouldn't (and doesn't for me) but the San Fran survey map does get removed. This was what happened in the vanilla game, so I'm leaving it as is.
Hmm....strange, my version is 2.0.2e, and in my game both of them (SF map & holodisk 5) get removed after use. :?
I'll PM you my test save game.

EDIT: Ok, it seems if I use the holodisk directly in inventory it'll disappear, but if I "use on" myself via active slot it'll stay.

Has anyone else experienced a small bug in 2.0.2e in the abbey when you talk to that trader who can give marcus metal armor, when you pay the $3000 for it, the dialogue box just disappears and marcus never gets the armor and its not in my inventory either. I've tried it a few times now and experience the same thing.

HarpsS1ngh said:
Has anyone else experienced a small bug in 2.0.2e in the abbey when you talk to that trader who can give marcus metal armor, when you pay the $3000 for it, the dialogue box just disappears and marcus never gets the armor and its not in my inventory either. I've tried it a few times now and experience the same thing.
Please provide a save game so I can test this.

Found two more bugs:

-Orphanage disappeared: I completed this quest, making the squatters help mom to take care of the orphanage, told jonnie about the orphanage and left the city for a few days.

After that, the orphanage disappeared, it became a squatter safehouse again, when I talk to the squatters they still say "We'll work hard" or "Thanks for being so cool about this" but there's no beds, orphans or the orphanage sign, just the old furniture from when it was a roof for junkies.

That didn't messed up my gameplay or anything, and there's no reason to go back to the Den's residential... but a bug is a bug... : P

Can't tell Lenny to go away: I get the famous application error everytime I confront Lenny with the note, when I end conversation screen goes black and you know the rest*

*Don't know if it's your patch or RP's fault, I just know that never happened with the original fallout and official patchs.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back