Fallout 3 (almost) drops GfWL

WorstUsernameEver

But best title ever!
As noted by a few folks in NeoGAF, the Steam version of Fallout 3 has received a few minor edits to remove the now unneeded Games for Windows Live CD keys, though the game still installs the (now plain non-functional) Games for Windows Live client when downloaded. Hopefully Bethesda will remove that from the Steam version in the future.

As a reminder, GfWL's marketplace has been shutdown last August, and the service is rumored to be shutting down altogether July of this year, so it makes sense for Bethesda to remove it from the title.

Thanks, The Vault.

Does this also mean that achievements from GfWL games will be transferred to Steam, as well as certain multiplayer options?

Not that I care about achievements, but IIRC WH40k Dawn of War II (vanilla version) required GfWL account to play online.

Does this also mean that achievements from GfWL games will be transferred to Steam, as well as certain multiplayer options?

Not that I care about achievements, but IIRC WH40k Dawn of War II (vanilla version) required GfWL account to play online.

From what I have read over the months, if the people who made the game don't fix the GFWL issue then you are left with an unplayable game.

thanks god that rotten piece of shit dissapears. Seriously. I never had a game with GfWL that worked for me. And I dont mean the game for it self. I mean Games for Windows Live. I always had issues to log in for hours.

It all depends on how much work they're willing to do.
They will either make something simple like Xliveless (Which I thought everyone installed anyway for Fallout 3),
or make it a steamworks-game with steam achievements and trading cards.

Fallout 3 doesn't have any multiplayer options.:look:

It's all in the hands of the developers/publishers. Some games have already been transferred to Steamworks, like Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, but it looks like others are just going for the minimal effort to not make the titles completely unplayable when the service gets discontinued.

If you bought a game on a physical store, with Microsoft Live support only, and not steam, would he work ?
(I bought Arkham Asylum and the key they provided doesn't even work on live, so i play off-line)

If you bought a game on a physical store, with Microsoft Live support only, and not steam, would he work ?
(I bought Arkham Asylum and the key they provided doesn't even work on live, so i play off-line)

As long as the game doesn't require you to log in your account or verify that key online with GfWL's servers, yes. In the case of Arkham Asylum, you should be able to use that key to get a Steamworks version of the title, IIRC.

I don't know about the Arkham Games, my Arkham City key took like a full month before working and my Asylum one is still not working.

I had F3 and DLC through GFWL, as well as other games, and now that it's dead how the heck do I get that information for them

As long as the game doesn't require you to log in your account or verify that key online with GfWL's servers, yes. In the case of Arkham Asylum, you should be able to use that key to get a Steamworks version of the title, IIRC.

I may ask a lot, but do you know if i should ask the devellopper/publisher or directly steam ?

Damn. Awkward situation.
I bought all my GfWL games on Steam, actually, except Fallout 3 GOTY, which I hope it will work (I admit, all this got me somewhat confused). I haven't played it in years, and when I did, it was offline. Not that I particularly care about Fallout 3, but not being able to play the game you legally bought is a tad bit annoying.
Would be nice if they transferred all the stuff to Steam, but I'm not sure how it goes with Relic, given that THQ died.

I don't like Steam either, but I can at least handle that...

Last edited:
I am more interested in what happens to my non-steam Fallout 3. Not that I feel any motivation to play it again anytime soon. But still... paid quite some money for it, after all.

I am more interested in what happens to my non-steam Fallout 3. Not that I feel any motivation to play it again anytime soon. But still... paid quite some money for it, after all.

Mine FO3 is non-Steam too.

I'll test the theory once I get home. IIRC FO3 doesn't even have a CD key check. At least the vanilla game I played didn't have one.
I can't recall about GOTY.

Given that it is possible to disable GfWL, e.g. by using this, I think there will be no effect.

Yea I always played Fallout 3 with GFWL shut down and it was fine. The only difference it makes to the game is that the saves are in a different place. If people are worried about loosing GFWL dlc you can back them up pretty easily.

Steam is taking over the world.

The PC gaming world, that is.

Whatever happened to buying a game at the store, taking it home, putting in your disc drive and playing it?

Whatever happened to buying a game at the store, taking it home, putting in your disc drive and playing it?

Not much sense in it.
Boxes are just slim DVD cases with a CD in them, rarely even a proper manual. The pricing is the same as on many online stores, or sometimes even more expensive.

In the end, majority of boxed games nowadays only take up space. And people are lazy to go the store.
Plus, if you're into that, they're not eco-friendly.

I personally still buy boxed games when I can find good ones, but I understand why online stores are taking lead.
Rarely do you find a modern game with a proper box (The Witcher 2 being an example...).

I still dont like the evolution of gaming, with this intrusive DRM measures. I see the need for protection, but games become a lot less user friendly and they dont always offer you a better experience with their always online requirement. Not to mention, they really dont leave you much of a choice here, they are not going with a compromise, its either buy the product or dont. But I am not sure if I really whant to be a part of that, and luckily, I am not even playing any games anymore. If I consider, that you might have to get 3 or 4 different accounts with each game you buy ... what ever if its from Ubisoft, Steam, EA or Blizzard etc. And as said, if you dont want to use their services, you don thave a choice really but to still accept it.

Back