Fallout 76 Wastelander add-on released

So the Wastelander add-on for Fallout: 76 is being released today after a few delays. At adds human NPCs to the game, so it's like 5% on the way to a full game now?

Is anyone here playing Fallout: 76?

T
Thanks for saving me the trouble of doing this. I was kinda bummed out about it. I think everyone that is playing 76 should publicly confess in this thread...and then go try Wastelanders to know us how shit it is.

I was given it at christmas 2018 by a friend who knew I liked Fallout and not much else. I played it with a friend for a few days before it got too much.

Should I take one for the team and do a field report? I am actually curious to see what the game is like after like a year and a half of damage control.

T
Go right on ahead. Just come back here and give your impression of how it has progressed.

One of the mega weird things I couldn't consolidate about 76 is that as an actual worldmap, Appalchia was actually really cool as a Fallout setting. If you gave Chris Avellone that empty, rendered map I'd happily spend money on that. Stuff like Cranberry Bog and the region where the mutant ropevines have gone nuts out of control and turned the entire area into this hostile alien landscape with red vines encasing old world vehicles and buildings. Even just the Forest is pretty, and they actually managed to make Fallout 4's jetsons overly 50s version of the retrofuture into something good.

Additionally, it is fucking mega weird that Bethesda basically took the main complaints about Capital Wasteland/Commonwealth and then somehow fumbled it. "Oh, they say that our maps look too blasted and barren and the games should have been set closer to the Great War, so let's make a green and verdant map that's really close to the Great War!" which is just, idk, even worse?

I've also heard they don't accomodate the story at all for new players, in that it's just canon that new characters starting with Wastelanders have been chilling in Vault 76 a full year after Reclamation Day. Lol

Additionally, it is fucking mega weird that Bethesda basically took the main complaints about Capital Wasteland/Commonwealth and then somehow fumbled it. "Oh, they say that our maps look too blasted and barren and the games should have been set closer to the Great War, so let's make a green and verdant map that's really close to the Great War!" which is just, idk, even worse?
Because they sometimes have a kneejerk reaction to some complaints with the previous games. Fallout 4 looks too destroyed? Let's make the setting of 76 somehow look better, even though it's 25 years after the bombs fell. Some people didn't liked the portayal of BoS in Fallout 3? Let's make them mega jerks in 4 and completely missed what little nuances they had in 1, 2 and New Vegas that made them not complete assholes.

People like to say Bethesda doesn't care about people's complaints, but they care. To an extent they care, or else these two examples wouldn't have happened. They might sell 10 billions copies with a game, but criticism of their games hurts their feelings, even if just a little.

It also becomes troublesome on a philosophical level when they portray West Virginia after a nuclear war as being this untamed rugged paradise of the wilderness and you can literally find holotapes of Great War survivors saying they prefer life after the bombs because its so quiet and simple.

Jesus fucking christ, really? That is moronic to the point it verges on immoral. In actual Fallout, even Zion, a sheltered rural national park in a low-priority state like Utah was an uninhabitable hellscape for years after the Great War, to the point Randall Clark literally couldn't leave his cave where he was wringing water off the cave walls.

T
I mean the BoS exist before they should even be around so at this point they can do what they want. It's why I spend all my time I used to spend on Fallout lore on my new legal drug operation.

Timeline wise they're okay. Actually, what is worse though is that we get an officialized voice of the founding Maxson, not only that but the speech where he forms the Brotherhood.

In Fallout 76.

T
My point is they can now say the entire US wasn't totally destroyed. Just the cities. Or some shit like that.

Yeah the idea that West Virginia was somehow spared of the nukes when Las Vegas got 77 warheads targeted at it and Salt Lake City got 13, when neither are at all millitary targets and yet recieve like 20x the amount of bombardment that even cities like NYC and LA would recieve in real life is absurd. If salt lake fucking city got hit by 13 warheads, you bet your ass that WV would get its share too.

That's not to mention that in REAL LIFE West Virginia would experience a complete death and wilting of vegetation due to the radioactive fallout from D.C which is practically spitting distance. In Fallout where the radiation is comically exaggerated, jesus what the fuck!

76 combined with the verdant and vivid world of Far Cry: New Dawn have me seriously concerned about the image of nuclear conflict AAA devs want to push out there.

It's sitting at 51% with nearly 400 reviews so far.

Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Skyrim and Fallout 4, welcome you to Fallout 76, the online prequel where every surviving human is a real person.
From the Steam description. This is just too damn funny.

T
Apparently a new companion is some crashed astronaut that may or may not tie into Mothership Zeta.

Someone kill me. Please.
jb.PNG

...Ok, and what do these checks actually 'do'?
Cause remember Skyrim being promoted for having a huge number of dungeons and then they were just room pieces clipped together differently and overused with barely any variation at all. Quantity =/= quality. Something which a lot of Bethesda apologists don't seem to comprehend.

I've played pieces of Wastelanders so far and it genuinely seems like most of the checks only exist to allow the player to dodge fetch quests or occasionally get more caps.

It's cute in a weird way seeing Bethesda try and implement mechanics from NV to try get people to hopefully play 76 but everything I've seen of the carry over systems (checks/reputation) seem to be implemented with very little understanding of what made them good additions to begin with.

Hey, that sounds pretty decent for guys known for "[Science] Go commit die, abortion of science" and "Hate newspapers".

I don't even need to play to know that the majority of choices are just for more caps or to avoid specific parts of the quests because that's the majority of "choices" in Fallout 3 and 4. Anyone who unironically thinks this will have actual choice and consequences are setting themselves up for major disappointment.

Or be like me and not even be surprised given their track record.

Back