Fallout 76 Wastelander add-on released

So the Wastelander add-on for Fallout: 76 is being released today after a few delays. At adds human NPCs to the game, so it's like 5% on the way to a full game now?

Is anyone here playing Fallout: 76?

Their support is not just a joke?
Only the new(er)fags so far, those who registered around the year, the year before and the year after I registered. Most of the old bloods couldn't be bothered because they rightfully didn't even play or care at all. The rest like Toront are calling them out.

People are defending this game on Codex. That shows how shitty the online population (everywhere) has become over the past 10 years.
on the biggest german fallout forum everyone is praising this game and claim that they have lots of fun with it. i don't get it but that's the way things are

Boring story and characters? Check
Poor online/mmo experiecne? Check
Repetitive, shallow quests? Check
Game looks like from 2011? Check
Scumy subscription and micro/macro transactions? Check
Reused assets from FO4 and Skyrim? Check
Bugs and glitches everywhere? Check

But hey it has NPC's now! And it's only $45!

Praise the 2020 gaming and bots defending it LMAO

on the biggest german fallout forum everyone is praising this game and claim that they have lots of fun with it. i don't get it but that's the way things are

It remains harder and harder to remain a Fallout fan with so many people dragging the IP down, those who are now producing it and those who are buying (into) it.
Even the word fan means little anymore as it people and companies now expect that that means that you buy and praise everything with a certain brand on it.

I do hope that these people realize by supporting this that they will guarantee that Bethesda will continue this route.

T
Stolen from the Bethesdafag at Codex.

CTJSh52.png

kjdrWkK.png

ka2wGgw.png

vVueliB.png

scrwmLl.png

3FgDAQT.png

kbKRXTk.png

From IGN:

At base camps such as the Blood Eagle Raiders' Crater and the Settlers’ Foundation, you’ll spot NPCs just sort of standing around and not really doing much, which is a big step down from what single-player Bethesda games like Fallout 4 or Skyrim have led us to expect. They have nowhere to be and nothing to do - they’re just vending machines with faces. You can even flagrantly steal any items you want in full view of any NPC, even from their shops or homes, or even shoot them, and they don’t even blink. It flies in the face of how Bethesda RPGs are usually designed.

It’s aggravating, though, that sharing these story quests socially is so awkward. They’re instanced so that you can make dialogue choices like in other Fallout games, but in practice, it’s a bad experience. When you enter as a team you get two options: everyone goes in solo, playing through their own versions, or you can accompany your team leader and watch them have conversations and make decisions and don’t get credit for completing the mission yourself. This might be nice for high-level players who want to help others catch up, but horrible for friends that want to play the story and progress together.

Last edited by a moderator:
you’ll spot NPCs just sort of standing around and not really doing much, which is a big step down from what single-player Bethesda games like Fallout 4 or Skyrim have led us to expect.
These two games were literally filled with a lot npcs standing around not doing much, not really being involved in anything of note. I swear people have selective memory when it comes to Bethesda games after Morrowind. And how bad can this game be when Skyrim and Fallout 4 are being looked favorably in comparison.

This game is also proof that you can't do extensive choice and consequences because of its online only functionality. Being always online will always bring this down while single player games don't have this restriction because they are, well, single player.

So the Secret Service in Wasterlanders are a totally separate group and are in no way part of the Enclave. In addition to their own Pre-war T-65 power armor, they have some variant of combat armor and just like combat armor in FO4, it's giant mess of huge plates ala marine combat armor.

Suddenly have to think of that protocol droid in Battlefront 2 that decided to fight back after being shot by a player.

Since when did luck become synonymous with speaking like a complete retard?

This is done for the sake of teh funney.
"Look, that moron made reactors work by banging pieces together."
Well the writers probably did not want to bore the audience with technical details. (player "Ugh too much words.")

I saw this comment on a Youtube video and I thought it was a good comment (it's not Wastelanders specific, but I don't want to necro the old Fallout 76 thread):
2010, SQUARE ENIX LAUNCHES FINAL FANTASY XIV 1.0 IN A HORRIBLE STATE:
  • President of Square at the time Yoichi Wada publicly apologizes for the state in which the game was launched .
  • Producer Hiromichi Tanaka, respected and successful SE dev takes full responsibility and resigns from the project in shame.
  • Director Nobuaki Komoto gets demoted to Lead Game Designer.
  • Producing and Directing falls to Naoki Yoshida, who starts a stream series called Live Letter from the Producer to talk to the community on a regular basis on development progress.
  • Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 becomes Free to Play, as Square deems it unworthy of the subscription service, and announce they won't start charging back until they have a product they consider worthwhile their consumers' money.
  • Yoshi P. divides his team in two. One fraction of the team works on making 1.0 playable, updating constantly with features people have been asking for a while. Team two starts designing an entirely new game from the ground up, as 1.0 had networking issues as well as a horribly optimized version of Crystal Tools. The new version would use an optimized version of the Luminous engine and take only one and a half years to make.
  • Despite launching in 2013 and with the PS4 on the horizon, Yoshida made sure to fit the game on PS3, as Square Enix had promised a version of the game for that system. Yoshida also wanted to make the first expansion available on the console, which led to one of the most insane ports to an old generation system ever. Promises kept.
  • 1.0 had its story altered to include an "End of the World" event that literally killed the original game and led into 2.0
  • After subscriptions were re-instated, people who subscribed to 1.0 got a life-time discount to their subscription moving into A Realm Reborn.
2018, BETHESTDA LAUNCHES FALLOUT 76 IN A HORRIBLE STATE:
  • Todd Howard disappears.
  • Game gets hacked.
  • Bethesda refuses to refund.
  • Make the game grinder.
  • Give people who purchased CE expecting Canvas Bag 500 Atoms for their IN GAME SHOP that can't even buy the digital version of the Canvas Bag.
  • DOX people who filed tickets to get their Canvas Bags sent to them.
  • Get hacked every other week and ask people to write essays.
  • Endorse the sell of a plastic rum bottle for $80.
  • Introduce gameplay affecting items for real money.
  • Shift blame to unreasonable expectations after they lied during their marketing and promotion of the game.
  • Make up silly semantic explanations to say they didn't lie but how "things changed" and cry about how they feel offended about being called lairs.
  • Introduce gameplay affecting items for real money again.
  • Introduce a subscription mode for $100 for basic features.
  • Probably will get hacked again.
  • Most likely will Introduce new gameplay affecting items you can buy for real money.

I should say that I don't find those Luck checks to be inherently objectionable - there are a few examples you can point to in 1/2/NV that are similar, and it can be a bit amusing (though that thingy writing was cringe inducing)

I think there's only a problem if there's too many such LCK checks, which I'm guessing there are. I watched a few minutes of Many A True Nerd's playthrough (whose apologism continues to be a massive dissapointment) of Wastelanders and was just shocked by he sheer quantity of skill checks that all lead to basically the same outcome in dialogue.

Luck for something random like that would be typing in a keycode and getting it right after a few tries. It would be snipping a cable in a locker full of them and getting it right for an auto-turret. Luck should always remain somewhat grounded. If FO1/2/NV got it wrong too then they got it wrong too and it was stupid then as well. You don't need magic for Luck to have its uses. You just need a sensible approach to game design and writing.

Luck for something random like that would be typing in a keycode and getting it right after a few tries. It would be snipping a cable in a locker full of them and getting it right for an auto-turret. Luck should always remain somewhat grounded. If FO1/2/NV got it wrong too then they got it wrong too and it was stupid then as well. You don't need magic for Luck to have its uses. You just need a sensible approach to game design and writing.
Stupidity is fine in a game to a certain extent - obviously this truism is embodied in Fo2, but even in Fo1 and NV a certain extent. Of course, Beth fallout's take this to a whole new level of stupidity that when combined with the lack of the redeeming factors in these games makes it unacceptable.

(Though it's worth noting that upon closer research there are no such LCK checks in 1,2, or 3... first one appears in NV, none in 4, and now in 76)

Stupidity is fine in a game to a certain extent - obviously this truism is embodied in Fo2, but even in Fo1 and NV a certain extent. Of course, Beth fallout's take this to a whole new level of stupidity that when combined with the lack of the redeeming factors in these games makes it unacceptable.

(Though it's worth noting that upon closer research there are no such LCK checks in 1,2, or 3... first one appears in NV, none in 4, and now in 76)
There are no (apparent) Luck checks in Fallout 1&2 because it didn't happen in the foreground and/or dialogue options like in New Vegas. This is because LCK is actually checked alongside many other skills checks in the game, including but not limited to combat. Because I didn't know any better, I'm just going to assume that LCK is *literally* checked alongside other skills, no matter if it's lockpicking, hacking terminals, stealing from NPCs, when sneaking, in regards to random encounters, and most obviously combat in regards to scoring critical hits (or critical failures), etc etc. This is especially true when playing a character with Jinxed trait.

Will you critically fail when lockpicking, even though your character actually have high skill, resulting in that door's lock being jammed? Or inversely, will you actually critically succeed, even though your character have low skill, and just like that open that locked door?
Will you succeed to hit that enemy with your gun? Maybe even critically hit and instantly killing that guy in power armor in full HP? Or will you hilariously critically fail, resulting in either dropping your gun, dropping your magazines, or even worst lose your next turn altogether?

And this is why New Vegas could never be an RPG on par, let alone greater than, Fallout 1&2. Bethesda also literally drove themselves into a corner with the design decision to make it more shooter than RPG, but even from the start their new system in the new format is already too flawed to design a proper RPG. Not that I think they ever aimed to make a proper RPG in the first place, mind you. And I doubt modders could ever elevate New Vegas RPG quality to the heights achieved by its predecessor, unless they gained access to the game's source code and literally build it from the ground up.

Back