Fallout: New Vegas Ask a Dev

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
TheGamersHub is running an Ask a Dev for Fallout: New Vegas, so submit any questions you still have. It's not clear if this is a set interview since they have no deadline.

Thanks Vegas_Wanderer.

I asked some but doubt they will be answered. The questions seem a little suggestive. lol.

1) Will there be character "traits" as in the classic "Fallout" games?
2) You mentioned drinking water was a necessity in the hardcore mode of the game, what about eating food?
3) Will your Intelligence skill affect the way your character is able to speak and his speech options as in "Fallout 2"?
4) Will you have more voice actors voicing NPCs than "Fallout 3" had?
5) Will the game feature more sexual content as opposed to only mild themes of it in "Fallout 3"?
6) Will the player be able to kill children as in the classic "Fallouts" but unlike "Fallout 3"?
7) Will there be more radio stations and songs than "Fallout 3" had?
8) Will the player character be able to mutate or become a ghoul? Or even start a game as a ghoul?
9) Will there be recurring characters from previous "Fallout" games to pleasantly surprise the loyal fans of the series?
10) Would you like to one day see a movie/TV series/book/comics adaptation of the "Fallout" franchise?

TheBearPaw said:
I asked some but doubt they will be answered. The questions seem a little suggestive. lol.

1) Will there be character "traits" as in the classic "Fallout" games?
2) You mentioned drinking water was a necessity in the hardcore mode of the game, what about eating food?
3) Will your Intelligence skill affect the way your character is able to speak and his speech options as in "Fallout 2"?
4) Will you have more voice actors voicing NPCs than "Fallout 3" had?
5) Will the game feature more sexual content as opposed to only mild themes of it in "Fallout 3"?
6) Will the player be able to kill children as in the classic "Fallouts" but unlike "Fallout 3"?
7) Will there be more radio stations and songs than "Fallout 3" had?
8) Will the player character be able to mutate or become a ghoul? Or even start a game as a ghoul?
9) Will there be recurring characters from previous "Fallout" games to pleasantly surprise the loyal fans of the series?
10) Would you like to one day see a movie/TV series/book/comics adaptation of the "Fallout" franchise?

My guess:

1) If you can now manage your companions as fallout 2 did and other stuff from 1&2 is doing the comeback, no reason to think traits are not back too.

2) Almost sure eating is not necessary. You need to eat more frecuently than you need to drink water, so... it would make the game really hard and even annoying.

3) I think this one is definetly in

4) Hope so

5) See 4)

6) Hope so but i don´t think so. Remmember who is the publisher :(

7) I don´t see why not

8) Again, hope so...

9) It would be nice, but i don´t think so since they said this fallout was not related to any of the previous...but who knows?

10) Hell yeah! If done right it could be excellent. HBO? Showtime?

Mines were these:

1- Any chance to see new or improved animations for walking, running, death moments, etc... for your character or the NPCs?
a) This being the case, Are you going to include death animations acording to the weapon you are using? No more ragdolls deaths then?
b) Are you guys doing better animations for facial expressions?
2- Talking about modelling, There will be new models or enchanced models for humans, ghouls, mutants, etc...?
a) And specifically, There will be new or improved head modelling?
3- Will your companions have any depth, meaning own quests you can be involved with, chance of romance, becoming friends, etc...?
a) Can they fight between them ( in the case i have more than one companion) or turn against the main character if they don´t like what i´m doing?
b) Which implies... is karma and reputation making a difference here?
4- Absurd situations (like Fallout 2) happening again or serious dark humor (like Fallout 1) this time? Neither?
a) Can you get hitched again? (LOL)
b) Are Aliens welcome to New Vegas?
5- Will Fallout 1&2 world map make a return? Aleatory encounters then?
6- Any improvement on the stealth system from fallout 3? Will stealth mode work for companions as well?
7- What about fps playing mode, will it be closer to fps experience this time around?
a) Better AI for enemies and companions then?
8- How will the skill system work in New Vegas? Any differences between New Vegas and Fallout 3 skill system?
9- Will the adult content ( sexual themes,tricky moral choices,drugs themes,etc...) be really adult?
10- Can a player go through the main story without killing anybody, just convincing or betraying or cheating on people?

Vegas_Wanderer said:
2) Almost sure eating is not necessary. You need to eat more frecuently than you need to drink water, so... it would make the game really hard and even annoying.
Surviving without food is from what I know possible for 5-7 days before your notice some serious issues.

Surviving without any kind of water though will be dangerous already after 2 days if I remember correctly.

Dehydration is a much higher risk then starving since the body can survive pretty well without some food for a few days as long it gets enough water.

Crni Vuk said:
Vegas_Wanderer said:
Surviving without food is from what I know possible for 5-7 days before your notice some serious issues.

Surviving without any kind of water though will be dangerous already after 2 days if I remember correctly.

Dehydration is a much higher risk then starving since the body can survive pretty well without some food for a few days as long it gets enough water.

Aye, I'm not really sure where you got the idea that you need to eat more frequently than you need to drink.

Jidai Geki said:
Aye, I'm not really sure where you got the idea that you need to eat more frequently than you need to drink.
McDonalds?

This is cool, I really hope people come up with some good questions, which are hopefully answered.

Jidai Geki said:
In good conditions, you can last something like 5-7 days without water and usually a couple/few weeks without food (some people have gone on hunger strikes for a couple of months).

TheBearPaw said:
We actually know the answer to that. It won't have cro-magnon dialog like FO1&2, but there will be funny dialog choices for any character that doesn't meet the requirements for any skill check that occurs in dialog. So, everyone will be able to converse like a normal human being, but if you aren't good at science, then you will have the option of saying something stupid when discussing a science-related topic (instead of passing the skill check).

I always assumed in FO1 and 2 that the character kind of did his most basic fisiological needs (eating, shitting, pissing) when we put him to sleep. I mean, you cant really sleep all that nights in the wasteland and dont wake up to piss at least once!

I'd like to add some questions, but since I truly hate Bethesda's bastardized FO:Shooter.. Well, I'd rather not think about where that would lead me, probably nowhere, except bitter and exhausted. But I see you guys make some good questions.

It would be nice if dialogue options were actually based on stats and that it would be possible to play as a smart, charismatic or dumb character the smart, charismatic or dumb way and not as dumb as the only way, which is pretty much what I thought the dialogue was.. unintended. Uh, we (you) already know that?

Hm.. will NMA be posting the replies or this questionairy or is that too much of an infringement?

I'm not interested in realism if it means adding any form of tedious gameplay to the game. I remember how annoying it was in some of those old MUD's I've played..

You are thirsty.
> drink waterskin
It's empty!

You are hungry.
> eat bread
You don't have that!

you are thirsty.
you are hungry.
you are thirsty.
you are hungry.

You are too exhausted to move.

(GRRRRRR)

Eventually it was fixed by adding triggers.. for special food containers that served as both bread and water and never ran out. But I haven't seen a single non-mmo game with the feature of adding triggers and even if they do exists it is by no means common.

Having those beggars outside megaton as a direct link to karma adjustments was just plain lame.

I sure hope the eating, sleeping, shitting is accomplished more or less automatically if there is room for it. Like if I got food or water in my inventory, then the PC will just auto-eat if from there.

Crni Vuk said:
Vegas_Wanderer said:

Ooops....my mistake, i dont know what i was thinking when i wrote that one...probably a gecko hamburger!! ;)

Anyway, i still think eating is not going to be necessary

Crni Vuk said:
Vegas_Wanderer said:

Yeah but water will probably be much more abundant, as in in lakes, streams, rivers etc. Where as food will be much more scarce and it will probably cost you tons of caps just to eat. I agree, eating would be waaaaay too annoying, for an example, look at the FO3 Wanderer's Edition mod.

Brother None said:
TheGamersHub is running an Ask a Dev for Fallout: New Vegas, so submit any questions you still have. It's not clear if this is a set interview since they have no deadline.

Thanks Vegas_Wanderer.
Great. We (as in every NMAer) need to ask if they did a better job at balance. I trust Obsidian's writers, but I don't know if they did a good job at balancing it. That's the number 2 thing that made Fallout 3 not as good as Fallout 1 to me. "I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in VATS!"

EDIT: Oh, and downvote questions like, "Will there be vehicles?" "Why does this game look similar to Fallout 3?" "What new guns are in the game?" We don't need those clogging up this fan interview.

OakTable said:
That's the number 2 thing that made Fallout 3 not as good as Fallout 1 to me. "I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in VATS!"

I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in the eyes with my .223 pistol!

Lazlo said:
OakTable said:
That's the number 2 thing that made Fallout 3 not as good as Fallout 1 to me. "I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in VATS!"

I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in the eyes with my .223 pistol!
True. Fallout 1 had it's share of overpowered perks. But Fallout 3 had them every other level.

Considering that every magazine so far has covered character creation and none of them have mentioned traits it is safe to say they aren't in.

bhlaab said:
Considering that every magazine so far has covered character creation and none of them have mentioned traits it is safe to say they aren't in.
Sadness. I like that they are bringing better writing and what not back to the series, but why would they keep Fallout 3's gameplay system?

Back