Fallout: New Vegas Ask a Dev

I enjoyed the radio stations in fallout3, but the atmospheric sound track was terrible. Morrowind was much better, and of course, Fallout1 and Fallout2, the original classic games, were fantastic.

1) Can you add more radio stations? A talk one, a few music ones, more variability? FO3’s songs were perfect and enjoyable but I wanted more always.
2) Can you get someone unlikie Inon Zur to do the soundtrack? He was thrown into the project and did a very generic, blah, weak product.
3) Can you get better voice actors and dialogue writers than in FO3? I don’t care how famous they are or were, they were terrible. I was shocked to see how “famous” they were and how emotionless and meaningless their lines were written as well as delivered. Moira and the Nuka cola girl were the only goodies.
4) Need more variation in ghouls. Both in terms of people doing voiceovers as well as visually. The ghouls were done well in FO3 but the male voice was reused a lot, way too much. I would like more Harold in there too!

____

That is what I posted. Got a few votes! I tried to keep it focused and changable. Asking for it to not use the gaming engine or change a lot probably wouldnt get added. Accessory pieces like music tracks, radio, some fun npc's and maybe 2-3 more low profile actors could be added in with ease... I would guess at least. My last suggestions for FO3 were added. I got to talk to that Inon Zur guy. Nice guy but he isnt a post apoc sort of thinker nor was he ready for FO3. He didnt even know how raw and brutal the series was. He thought it was more sci-fi dreamy type of thing, not the beat a whore senseless with a pipe sort of thing.

Lazlo said:
OakTable said:
That's the number 2 thing that made Fallout 3 not as good as Fallout 1 to me. "I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in VATS!"
I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in the eyes with my .223 pistol!
The fact that it's near-impossible to shoot anything without V.A.T.S. should tell you that they are completely different things.

Jidai Geki said:
Crni Vuk said:
Vegas_Wanderer said:
2) Almost sure eating is not necessary. You need to eat more frecuently than you need to drink water, so... it would make the game really hard and even annoying.
Surviving without food is from what I know possible for 5-7 days before your notice some serious issues.

Surviving without any kind of water though will be dangerous already after 2 days if I remember correctly.

Dehydration is a much higher risk then starving since the body can survive pretty well without some food for a few days as long it gets enough water.

Aye, I'm not really sure where you got the idea that you need to eat more frequently than you need to drink.

I don't mind the idea of having to drink water but eating food as well is going to far.

Anyone who has played Robinson's Requeim or its sequel, Deus will know just how massively irritating it his to have to constantly top up your characters food and water :evil:

er... yeah. ok.

I am looking forward to any level of challenge and realism possible. Eating is fine idea. I dont know if it is in though.

to eat food was anoying as hell in Stalker, so no. I am not a fan of it.

To say it that way. I am not completely against such a feature. But I have yet to find a game that really makes this "you have to eat/ drink something" in a convincing way and it feels like a part of the game and not like a simple gimick thrown at the player like letz say a machinegun that has a laser marker on it or something.

If you would realy notice in the game for example that water is a valuable resource which you dont get at every corner that might change my oppinion. Like a good that can be traded for a lot of valuable objects and money ... but then you have nothing to consume anymore! That would mean a few choices here and there. Get some nice new gun with ammo and take the risk of dehydration eventualy while you walk now outside in the Sun ?

If water would not be just something you need to survive but also a "second" curency with high value. Then yeah ... I would like that feature. Of course it would require a bit more thinking in to economy of the game then what we had with Fallout 3 though ...

I found it so annoying that I didn't even remember you had to eat in STALKER until you brought it up just now.

Didn't almost every single person you killed carry some food? I wasn't bothered by it at all, I would rather lean towards questioning the relevance of such a mechanic in the game if it's so easy to get food that you never have to think about it. If it's supposed to add to the atmosphere of the game, it's abundance ruins the effect a little, but I can see how it would be considered annoying to have to search for food all the time. Kind of like Roman wanting you to go to a strip-club with him every time you get out of bed.

Reconite said:
The fact that it's near-impossible to shoot anything without V.A.T.S. should tell you that they are completely different things.
Uhm not true. I basically sneaked through the whole game with Ol' Painless (lol) and made only criticals. Aiming at the head was not mandatory...of course you had to use V.A.T.S. when there were more than one enemy.

I also had almost until the end three NPCs following, since I used that quesst "bug" where Sidney follows you if you haven't finished her quest.

The game is already pretty easy so it was ridiculous. But yeah I made a boring game even more boring. whatever.

randy Mc rupp said:
Uhm not true. I basically sneaked through the whole game with Ol' Painless (lol) and made only criticals. Aiming at the head was not mandatory...of course you had to use V.A.T.S. when there were more than one enemy.

well that kinda depends on how good you are at shooters, doesn't it? when I got my Small Guns skill up and found a sniper rifle I basically sniped everything in real-time and only used VATS with a shotgun up close.

Oh yeah the skills...I admit I forgot about this issue, F3 is so far from being a C-RPG I didn't think of that.

e: also Small Guns is usually a steady skill for me

Tagaziel said:
Crni Vuk said:
to eat food was anoying as hell in Stalker, so no. I am not a fan of it.

Munching on a tin can of meat or a sausage occassionally was annoying?
Yes, cause it simply in my eyes did not add realy anything to the gameplay just like the conditions of weapons where your AK would fall apart and start to jam after 2-3 magazines ... or that you could not let some vendor repair your weapon, or that you even might to that by your self. One of the first things I did was to use modifications that removed the "you need food now" and allow sellers to repair my weapon.

As I said I have no issues with food, weapon conditions and all those things in a game. As long they are not just simply feeling like half arsed features throw in to give you a artificial feeling of "beeing there" or something like such things would make a game inherently more realistic.

well hm. I enjoyed eating food in Stalker.

Note that it also increased health. I dont see that being a drawback. It would be a plus to have something that gave a tiny bit of health, was tasty, wasnt too hard to get, and needed. shrug.

Weapon degradation was a good addition. Having it go a lil slower, be a bit better. I should have been like it really is more, you need like 40-50 magazines of hot loads to really wear out the thing. It would have been cool to have lower grain bullets, less powder /pressure variations that wouldnt have the same penetration but didnt wear out the gun. the game actually had that almost with armour piercing vs normal on many rounds. Could just add the wearing out with that. Theres lots of ways to do it.

My objection about Stalker was that you couldnt carry heavy guns without leaving out some major areas. I know it was a bit realistic in a way.

I agree with not being able to clean your guns. Cleaning stops jams and maybe if you could get PIECES of new guns that would make sense. Like buy 3 thin barrels. buy 1 extra receiver. That would be a pound or two total for months of shooting pleasure. Having no maintenance skills is not realistic. I know fo3 had the ability to repair things. It was a good start, but a lil too simplistic.

the way it worked was not very convincing in Stalker. Not in my eyes.

Some weapons are prone to jaming if you dont keep them in good conditions, though you can prevent a lot of issues with cleaning them regulariy. That most russian rifles and AKs in Stalker already started to jam after a few shoots ... thats what I found bullshit. And anoying as hell. You find your self all the time changing your weapon with some dead corpse every 10 minutes or so. The Abakan has a rather complicated mechanism inside to lower recoil and increase accuracy but even those would probably NOT jam every 5 min.

Seriously if they wanted to give some sense of realism. They failed in my eyes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c[/youtube]

Dead Guy said:
Didn't almost every single person you killed carry some food? I wasn't bothered by it at all, I would rather lean towards questioning the relevance of such a mechanic in the game if it's so easy to get food that you never have to think about it. If it's supposed to add to the atmosphere of the game, it's abundance ruins the effect a little, but I can see how it would be considered annoying to have to search for food all the time.
It's pointless micromanagement that only serves to take up a small amount of weight and annoy the player into eating it every now and then. Is it a big annoyance? Certainly not, but the real question is what does it add to the game? The idea was to add flavor but I'd say it failed and is just pointless. Had it actually been rare enough to matter then it would have been a major nuisance rather than a minor one.

Weapon condition goes both ways, the problem again was abundance. Weapon condition only really mattered with unique weapons, it was just a pointless nuisance for everything else. Being able to freely repair item conditions (ex Diablo 2) in most games just makes item condition a money drain and annoyance. It makes more sense when it works like in STALKER with non-stupid effects (weapon jamming and such, not fond of massive stat dropping). I honestly didn't have a problem with weapons jamming too much and it's an interesting mechanic as long as that is the case.

4) Need more variation in ghouls. Both in terms of people doing voiceovers as well as visually. The ghouls were done well in FO3 but the male voice was reused a lot, way too much. I would like more Harold in there too!

Definitely. They all sound like Krusty the clown.

Lazlo said:
OakTable said:
That's the number 2 thing that made Fallout 3 not as good as Fallout 1 to me. "I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in VATS!"

I sure am having fun one-shotting everything in the eyes with my .223 pistol!

Ah, I really do miss those days. especially with laser rifles the range on those things was incredible.

UncannyGarlic said:
It's pointless micromanagement that only serves to take up a small amount of weight and annoy the player into eating it every now and then. Is it a big annoyance? Certainly not, but the real question is what does it add to the game? The idea was to add flavor but I'd say it failed and is just pointless. Had it actually been rare enough to matter then it would have been a major nuisance rather than a minor one.

And yet it adds to the flavour a bit. No need to make it annoying, but the way it was in SoC was fine. I have also seen people here (not you) vigorously complain in the stalker thread about the removal of hunger in CS, so yeah.

Weapon condition goes both ways, the problem again was abundance. Weapon condition only really mattered with unique weapons, it was just a pointless nuisance for everything else. Being able to freely repair item conditions (ex Diablo 2) in most games just makes item condition a money drain and annoyance. It makes more sense when it works like in STALKER with non-stupid effects (weapon jamming and such, not fond of massive stat dropping). I honestly didn't have a problem with weapons jamming too much and it's an interesting mechanic as long as that is the case.

I thought STALKER weapon condition was done decently well, they didn't die very fast with proper usage, and ultimately it wasn't a bother. Also, item repair was introduced in CS along with customization, was fairly cheap, and actually introduced a reason for earning the heaps of cash from selling stuff or taking missions.

There was never a reason for STALKER games to make the player go out scavenging. I'd like to remind y'all that it's not FO, and not even a PA title at all. The "Zone" is in the middle of a completely normal world. According to the game, a crapload of stuff gets in and out through the cordon because of bribery and such. Thus, there's reasons for stuff to be expensive, but no reason for most stuff to be hard to find. CS did go a bit over-the-top with rare wpn abundance in the endgame, but at least it did the money management part better.

Back