Fallout: New Vegas Canard PC first impressions

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Plissken

Plissken It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 5, 2007
    Start a new character, pump all your points into Intelligence and Agility, skill points into speech. Head to the military base, run from Set, set the explosion timer. Head to the cathedral, don a purple cloak, head down to the nuclear bomb, activate it, run out.

Should be able to finish it in less than an 1 or 1.5 hours.

2. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    aaaaaaaaaaand why would I do that? When I play games, I do not play them just to finish them, I play them to enjoy them - so my playthrough I try to do all quests and explore everything. And that takes up a lot more time (especially FO2 with RP though).
    I have seen those speedruns, they are interesting, but I would never play a game that way.

3. Hartigan

Hartigan First time out of the vault

Nov 23, 2005
    Heart-warming read! Thanks for the translation!

Pardon my ignorance but what is RP?

4. Morbid

Morbid First time out of the vault

Aug 4, 2008
    Restoration Project by Killap - mod for Fallout 2

5. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Hmm that is some fine old school writing. Though my inner grammar nazi wants to scream at whoever translated it but I digress. :P

Really hyped for Friday now, just hope it turns up on time and Steam doesen't crash.

6. EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 21, 2008
    Oh my god this sounds awesome. I need this game now! Someone buy me this game!!

I love that they are well aware that fallout 3 was a pile of shit and I especially love that the reviewers are stating how amazing the writing is. Damn I'm excited!

7. hagren

hagren First time out of the vault

Mar 12, 2010
    Guess what: I've got a mail from Amazon that they have no idea when they'll receive shipment, if at all. Which means I either have to get it directly from the UK, costing me taxes, or I have to look around in Hungary for a 360 version. Not to mention in general to wait, wait wait. I've waited years for a proper Fallout 3 (Well, as proper as it gets), and reached a level where fuck-all of my patience's left.

8. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, you've played every other kind of character, right? If you haven't done a speed run, then you've missed one of the many different ways to play the game, right? :)

I've played F1 so many times I can almost sing along with all of the conversation trees--it's as if Rocky Horror Picture Show was a turn-based RPG.

9. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Interestingly, I just got an e-mail saying my copy shipped today, which means I'll probably get it within the next day or two. Really confusing too, since it doesn't let me track the order (though it's listed on the UPS web site).

10. Moester

Moester First time out of the vault

Sep 15, 2008
    A more accurate quote is "If you're not a religious fanatic (he uses the word ayatollah) and can finally stomach the first person view..."

11. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    The game seems to have a lot of good parts inside. BUT, I will wait for the first patch to come out simply cause of This: Problems with save games

How comes so many games today get thrown out with almost at least one game breaking bug. The last RTS game Anno 1404 I bought had a savegame bug as well. Arcania needed a hot fix right after the first day caues of strange "stuttering". And letz not even talk about Fallout 3 and many many many other games ... small issues like a glitch here and there or a few other bugs that can be solved by simply reloading the game are sure nothing that should make one sweat. But well ... seems its normal today to pay for Beta versions and not full games.

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Sounds like a familiar problem. People should really learn to install outside Program Files and/or "Run as Administrator" under Vista/7. I may be wrong of course.

Actually, scratch that, it seems to be a Steam fuckup. A dude posted a solution in that forum already.

13. PaladinHeart

PaladinHeart Mildly Dipped

Jan 20, 2004
    Is it just a problem when buying from Steam or all New Vegas installations?

14. hagren

hagren First time out of the vault

Mar 12, 2010
    Lucky bastard :P

Hope you'll like it!

15. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    It seems to be only a Steam related issue so far.

16. EuphoricOneTriesAgain

EuphoricOneTriesAgain First time out of the vault

Sep 3, 2007
    I bashed you guys relentlessly for your pre-release thoughts on Fallout 3. After 80 hours of gameplay or so, I finally decided that my anticipation for any Fallout sequel blinded me and that the game wasn't really that good. My last save was a year ago or so right before leaving for the endgame mission. No real excitement to finish it.

This review is insanely encouraging though. I need to kick the girlfriend off the couch so I can fire it up. My quest to finally play a (mostly) real Fallout sequel is being help up by the latest episode of One Tree Hill. Ugh....

17. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    After playing a few hours, I can honestly say: This ain't Fallout NV... it's Fallout 3, as it should've been.

18. Expresate

Expresate It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 14, 2010
    Huh. Fallout 3 was showered with 100s and the feelings on this board made it look like it was covered in -5s. New Vegas has 80s-low 90s (with about two lower (one is 65 the other is 70) and a lot of people here couldn't be happier with how the game turned out. Says something about the gaming community today.

19. PaladinHeart

PaladinHeart Mildly Dipped

Jan 20, 2004
    It's good to hear that so many people are liking it. I purchased it from eBay. There's someone selling it for $41 each. Hope it's not a scam. xP

But the seller does have over 590 positives feedback. Sounds decent.... ? Guess I'll know better in 5 to 10 days.

20. Hellfate

Hellfate First time out of the vault

Jan 16, 2009
    I am so glad to hear that its a return to the fallout universe. I think im going to be rounding up the money to pick it up this weekend...unless i hear about alot of problems with it before then.

My only issue so far is that it requires steam...I HATE STEAM!....LOL