Fallout: New Vegas opening narration

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Per, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    MTV Multiplayer took the opportunity at the latest hands-on demonstration to record Ron Perlman's opening narration for New Vegas. The sound quality is not the best, but here's their transcript:<blockquote>War. War never changes. When atomic fire consumed the earth, those who survived did so in great, underground vaults. When they opened, their inhabitants set out across ruins of the old world to build new societies, establish new villages, form new tribes. As decades passed, what had been the American southwest united beneath the flag of the New California Republic, dedicated to old world values, democracy and the rule of law.

As the Republic grew, so did its needs. Scouts spread east, seeking territory and wealth, in the dry and merciless expanse of the Mojave Desert. They returned with tales of a city untouched by the warheads that had scorched the rest of the world and a great wall spanning the Colorado River. The NCR mobilized its army and set it east to occupy the Hoover Dam and restore it to working condition. But across the Colorado, another society had arisen under a different flag. A vast army of slaves, forged in the conquest of 86 tribes: Caesar's Legion.

Four years have passed since the Republic held the Dam, just barely, against the Legion's onslaught. The Legion did not retreat. Across the River, they gathered strength. Campfires burned, training drums beat.

Through it all, the New Vegas Strip has stayed open for business under the control of its mysterious overseer, Mr. House and his army of rehabilitated Tribals and police robots.

You are a courier, hired by the Mojave Express, to deliver a package to the New Vegas Strip. What seemed like a simple delivery job has taken a turn…for the worst.</blockquote>It seems a little more plot-specific than previous titles perhaps.

2. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    in before Skyway!

oh wait.

3. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Wow, that was low quality.

The recording, not the narration.

4. KING SHIT

KING SHIT It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 25, 2010
    I like how it mainly focuses on the story. Perlman shouldn't have to explain the apocalypse in depth every single time.

5. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    no explenation ? Youre a heretic. I DEMAND a fire!

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It certainly is an interesting take, flowing more into this specific game's narrative rather than retelling the apocalypse every time. I guess it makes sense, can't keep Perlman just narrating the same events.

Also, we got shit for a detailed preview but MTV taping and publishing audio is cool? Riiight.

7. PowahAwemah

PowahAwemah First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2010
    This.

8. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I definitely like it. Fallout 3's intro was extremely poorly written when put next to Fallout 1 and 2, and this is a major step up while at the same time not sounding like a rerun of the earlier games.

9. bhlaab

bhlaab Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Oct 30, 2008
    It doesn't seem the same without the cheesy reverence but how many times can you return to the well of Ripping Off The Road Warrior Intro?

10. Ixyroth

Ixyroth Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 18, 2008
    That's the way things work these days. No matter how egregious, the snakes get to do whatever they please and the little humies get stomped into a mudhole at the slightest provocation.

11. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    I like it pretty well and I like the plot it points to except for my fear that it will end up being Good NCR vs Evil Ceaser's Legion. Then again, I haven't really been keeping up with New Vegas like I did Fallout 3.

Posting links to NMA was banned for awhile for that, right? Yeah, it's a load of crap and they pretty much don't give a damn because they know that MTV is going to give it a 9 or 10. That said, given how paranoid they've been about PR materials getting released early in the past, I'd have thought they'd be on this like a fly on shit.

12. zkylon

zkylon It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 1, 2010
    It may be herecy but i could do without the "war. war never changes" line for once. It's been repeated so many times in Fallout 3 i think i need a break from it.

Still, a great improvement over FO3's intro script.

13. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    well at least it wasn't said every sentence like the Fallout 3 intro.

14. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Form new tribes? Pffft, never liked the emphasis on tribals anyway.

15. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I didn't mind it. People aren't the most civilized or refined of creatures in the first place, so it's one possible road for humanity to go down.

16. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    I'd even go as far as to say it's the most likely road for humanity to go down. You can discuss this to death, but when someone would want me to sketch a post-apoc world, it would be primitive and empty rather than teeming with life and activity. It would contain small shanty towns and settlements of scavengers and farmers rather than modern cities with clean streets, well-maintained gardens and flashy billboards. To me personally those last things completely negate the idea of a post-apoc world.

Just thought I'd share that.

17. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    When I think of tribes I immediately picture that stupidly cheesy tribal bullshit in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (rather than the way Fallout 2 handled tribals). That was honestly the worst thing that they could have put in that movie, it was so stupid.

18. Khan FurSainty

Khan FurSainty Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 23, 2009
    The entire second part of that movie was stupid.

19. Starwars

Starwars Mildly Dipped

Sep 17, 2006
    I don't really like the tribals in Fallout either. But yeah, I can see that people would band together in fairly primitive circumstances, living in small "towns" if it can be called that.
    But I really thought the whole spiritual side of it felt very out of place in F2, we have Chosen Ones, mysterious artifacts, crazy elders.

So yeah, people who live in primitive ways, sure. But please skip the whole "crazy medicine men and holy prophecies" schtick.

20. zkylon

zkylon It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 1, 2010
    It's only natural for generations raised outside of the science dogma we live in today to develop their own explanations for the mysteries surrounding them. And primitive humans have always started with pseudo religious answers.

I like tribals, to me, they feel in place in the Fallout world.