Fallout 1 mod FO1 to FO2 conversion, for real

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    What is this site? It's asking to install a toolbar to download the file. That's ridiculous.

EDIT: Nevermind, after the fifth try it went through. Odd. Thank you :)

@Master92: Lookin' good! Some day it would be cool to get the Deathclaw cave, Vipers, Irwin's Farm etc on the world map as locations. One of the many cool things about using Fallout 2 engine :clap:

I believe this can be done through sfall. If not, a code edit to the exe also fixes it. But then I guess that would break the CRC check from Sfall. Do you see yet why I really hate CRC checks? :roll: sigh

---

It's awesome to see the work you guys are all doing on this :)

2. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Don't do code edits to the exe, you can do pretty much everything with Sfall. Editing the exe itself should be the really, really, really, really last option.

3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    This is good news. The vast majority of really cool shit you might want to do in Fallout 1, would require code/hex/asm/c++ edits/jumps/injections/patches.

Sfall solution much better :cool:

(old topic--) And, yes, with Jordan's scripts (thanks again, you're awesome for all your work here) comments are gone as were with mine. So looks like my after-the-fact suspicions are correct -- since comments are not actually compiled into the INT, it stores no record of them at all, meaning all commenting must be re-added for every script manually.

Welllll no one said engine conversion would be easy.

[cracks knuckles] MY WORK BEGINS, wish me luck. lol

Does this mean you all can work on doing the sfall stuff while I work on scripts? :mrgreen: Actually to be honest I'm really good for doing the tedious stuff, I've done lots of it, so I'll do the scripting and Encounter tables. Once I'm done with all those I'll see what ya'll haven't tackled yet, and begin work on those. I'm also going to drop Timeslip a line about helping us out.

4. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Do you realise if you drop this project half way through certain people will track you down and give you a massive wedgie. :mrgreen:

5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I've updated, modified and added to the Current Issues post (link also in my sig). It's now better organized and marks which things are being worked by what person.

The entire "need assistance" list (bolded) is not being worked on by anyone (that I'm aware of) so please grab them if it's something you can handle.

Or, if it's something like a text file edit, just point me in the right direction and I'll do it.

6. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Sfall allows you to define your own xp and level range. Just replace your stuff in the ddraw.ini with the stuff from my Fo2 mod:

Code:
    ;Uncomment and set to a comma delimited list of numbers to use a custom xp table.
    ;Players level is capped once the highest specified level is reached
    XPTable=1000,3000,6000,10000,15000,21000,28000,36000,45000,55000,66000,78000,91000,105000,120000,136000,153000,171000,190000,210000
    I don't have the mod files right now, but you only need to change all entrance point entries in /data/CITY.TXT from "off" to "on" - if the entry points aren't there yet, you need to add them. That means, adding the entrance points in this file and the text description to text/language/game/worldmap.msg file.

7. Darek

Darek is currently unavailable

Jan 7, 2008
    This is working for me. Remember, you have to have visited a place before it shows up there.

I'm mostly done with the elevators (only tested half). I can't find one of the Glow elevator frames (el_mil4) in sfall like I said earlier, and also there is some weird graphic glitch with one elevator also in the Glow. When I step into the elevator the level indicator has some weird static and then goes back to normal (only happens on the lowest level). Tried switching elevator frames but still had the same problem.

I've started with adding in F1 numbers in the AI text but its tedious as hell. I also thought of adding music to the maps text, but then realized the sfx needs to be added as well. and it's better to add them first. The problem is there is no list (that i could find), so do we have to go from map to map and try to listen what sfx are there? Not something I would like to do.

8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I can take care of the music and AI don't worry about those.

9. Timeslip

Timeslip Water Chip? Been There, Done That
    Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    This one is also trivial with sfall. Add 'set_skill_max(200)' into a script somewhere that will run once per game load. (I suggest a global script with no if(game_loaded) block)

Perks and traits are also modifiable with sfall, but anything particularly complicated will need scripting, so not quite as trivial.

10. Master92

Master92 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 26, 2010
    Caused about a videos - perhaps in Fallout 2 could be disable some Hakunin dreams and assign different time intervals for the rest.
    Haha, I have long made ​​it for Fallout of Nevada, and I can be set to any desired level. Engine.
    Done, but perks can actually raise skills above 200, although this will not be visible.
    This is easy to do
    Not as easy as it perks, but also possible. Practically any parameters.

All of which I personally did in engine, without using sfall. :wink:

11. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Of course it is possible in other ways- but Sfall is the best solution, imo. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. All stuff required is there, so there is no need to make it more complicated than necessary. Plus, Sfall will be needed anyway, simply because of the HighRes patch.

12. Master92

Master92 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 26, 2010
    Best solution — Fallout 2 source code, not outer DLL's. :P

There are actually a lot of global issues, but sfall not solve them - it adapts to the existing base.
    Many bug fixes and more interesting things better to do directly, imo.

Global necessaries — global solutions, but sfall is the local solution now.

I have great respect for work TimeSlip and all those who help improve sfall, but I think, it isn't best solution for the problems Fallout 2 engine now.

sorry for small off-topic, I'm mad russian «reverse-engineering» fanatic. :|

13. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Awesome. Sfall may very well be the coolest thing ever.

Any thoughts on the pipboy issues?

14. Timeslip

Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    The movies can just be played by script. The post it note is harder. It's possible that the standard fallout window script functions could do it to, but I've never touched them so no idea what they're capable of. There are two very hacky ways to do it with sfall; using the file functions to mask and update the pipboy frm, or to use the graphics functions to add an overlay on top. I really wouldn't recommend either method though...

15. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    What is wrong with doing the overlay method? That could work.

Other hacky ways could be some kind of pop-up message box, or when the player hits the ? key (to print in-game time) it also gives a readout of how many days, if chip isn't returned. Or an update each day or maybe once a week (just a display_msg from script)

Master92, do you feel like tackling this? You know you want to :mrgreen:

16. Timeslip

Modder

Aug 15, 2007
    sfall's graphics functions require you to be running in dx9 mode. Not a good idea if you want to be high-res patch friendly.

Yup, either of them would work fine. They just wouldn't look as good. :p

17. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Oh, good point. Personally I hate the Dx9 mode (no offense, just it always runs shitty for me. maybe drivers or something :shrug:)

And yeah. But, hey, as long as things works, I'll let someone else make them pretty ;)

Current Issues post updated. Only thing left that we don't have taken care of is moving the main menu to the right side of the screen (Timeslip can Sfall do this?) and the Pipboy post-it note. As far as I'm concerned, that's good enough.

In other words, this project is literally just a matter of time until it's done. Sweet 8-)

Unless someone wants to do it for me, (and please let me know if you're working on it so I can update the post) anything in that post I'll take care of.

Not exactly true, at start of Fallout 1 vanilla, all levels of Vault 13 are "explored" because player came from Vault.

18. Ardent

Ardent A Smooth-Skin
    Modder

Jul 24, 2009
    This can be fixed by tweaking the options in city.txt in data/data.

Code:
    entrance_0=On,340,300,Den Business 1,0,19052,3
    entrance_1=Off,220,300,Den Business 1,1,19862,3
    entrance_2=Off,280,330,Den Business 2,-1,-1,0
    As you can see, each entrance is marked with an "On" or "Off" tag. Just edit all of them to "On" and all shortcuts will be "explored".

19. Darek

Darek is currently unavailable

Jan 7, 2008
    Sduibek, seeing as you are now working on the AI, maybe it would be easier if you just continue on what I already did. Only thing left is the END numbers for the floats (did some of them), and also run_away mode if that should be added. Link

I also updated/added some of the files to the conversion (patch/teamX and interface art, elevators). I'll package it and put up a link soon. Done, here you go.

You sure about this, cause I don't see it in my vanilla?

20. SorgFall

SorgFall Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 2, 2007
    Aren't there some hardcoded bugs with F2 (beyond the reaches of even Killap himself), that do not exist in F1 (I haven't played F1 and F2 for quite a long time, since I was last active in the forum to tell the truth, so I'm reaching out over here)?

Also, I've found the tell me about button in F2 just plainly missing. I know that it did not compose a crucial part of the game in F1, but it was still a very nice touch into adding a dose of realism to the game. It's as if obvious that the button was cut just before the release of the game; the files are still there from what I hear for F2 (there're even recorded speeches, such as for Hakunin in Arroyo), but it seems that killap didn't introduce the button.
    Not to mention the bunch of unused dialogues, or simple freedom to write explanations while remaining spiritual to the canon (where they're logical) remains with that button...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.