General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Don't have any other titles to distract me, for now, so it's all just Dota 2 for the time being. As much as I felt it was well-deserving of its very own thread, no one else seemed to agree, so I might as well resume sharing my escapades here, and nowhere else... =|

I've been spending some time practicing certain heroes that I have deficiencies with, like Storm Spirit, Legion Commander, feeling like my competency for the game has gone from exceptional to even farther beyond (there's SO MUCH room to grow, it's insane)! Meanwhile everyone ELSE is just chirping and/or bitching about Techies. When it Techies coming out? Isn't Techies out yet? WHEN WILL TECHIES COME OUT??? Yeesh. I love Techies- I love just about every hero in Dota's massive roster -and I used to play Techies from time to time when I played Dota 1 years ago, but give it a rest, kiddies. The game isn't going to change from day into night once Techies comes out. They're not Jesus harkening the second comings. They're a hero with a really unconventional playstyle that requires going "off the grid" for minutes at a time, and hoping the traps you set snag some kills much later on. They're easily countered, easily shut down, they're not a big deal if you know what you're doing. All the same, I'll LOVE playing them when they're finally out, but yeah... too much hype.

I'm more looking forward to the hero Oracle, myself. But really, ANYTHING that spices up the current meta will be a welcomed change. Teams figured out that Shadow Shaman and Brewmaster are the keys to victory, and the sooner Icefrog applies his latest finishing touches of buffs and nerfs, the sooner they add the currently-unavaialble heroes to Captain's Mode, the better. Even if it's just Legion Commander or Earth Spirit, that'll make irreversible waves in the pro scene, and that inevitable stir will make games endlessly entertaining! ^^ Plus, the more the pros play different lineups of heroes, the more resources that the non-pro players who have an interest in getting better- namely me -have on hand to study for their own sake. For instance, I really don't see much point in drafting EITHER LC or ESp, but if there's that one little niche thing that they can do proves to be invaluable in high-skilled games (like how it was figured out how stupidly powerful Ember Spirit could be if all you did was stack damage and just Slight of Fist with Cleave over and over) then the professional players will be the ones to show the rest of the world "how it's done", and I'll be delighted to learn it!

And now's the point where what I'm saying can be read in plain English, whereas most of you have perceived the above 2 paragraphs as "blarg blarg fmoff fmoff". Ah well, it'll spread in appreciation eventually.... =D

As one article many years ago put it, if ever you were a fan of MMORPGs, but didn't have the patience for the huge time-sink in leveling your character, Dota was a game that gave the best of both worlds. The joy of leveling up a character without the tedium of spending weeks/months/years doing it. In their words, "power without the grind". The pleasure of turning your player avatar from a weakling that will easily fall to the weakest creatures in the entire game to an unstoppable, face-stomping wrecking machine, can all be achieved in the easily-digestible, encapsulated period of 30-60 minutes matches.

Anyway, the important bits are of course, "Finished Doom 3 YET AGAIN, nothing else distracting me right now, still loving Dota 2 to fucking bits".

Didn't know we had a Dota thread. I installed Dota 2 the other day. Still haven't played it tho.
I haven't played Dota in years...have a few nice memories of it.

A steam friend of mine from Romania has 1200 hours in DotA 2. I don't understand how anyone can even like those games. An abortion of proper RTS's in my opinion.

Last edited:
Didn't know we had a Dota thread. I installed Dota 2 the other day. Still haven't played it tho.
I haven't played Dota in years...have a few nice memories of it.
Yeah, I made the thread a month ago when The International was just around the corner, cause I couldn't hide my eagerness any more. But nobody cared, nevermind that this was THE BIGGEST ESPORTS EVENT IN HISTORY, so I just resigned myself to the fact that it's a dead project.

A steam friend of mine from Romania has 1200 hours in DotA 2. I don't understand how anyone can even like those games. An abortion of proper RTS's in my opinion.
You wouldn't understand if you didn't give them much time to try it out. Which as I've said plenty of times here and there, that's all well and good. You have to dedicate A BUNCH of time to really understand the game, let alone derive seriously delight and enjoyment out of playing it. It's one thing for any given match to "only" demand half an hour to an hour of your time. It's another matter entirely for your understanding of the game (to get any good matches) REQUIRING months-if-not-years of your time to learn the game. It's an amazing game, but it's not for those who can't put the time in, that's for sure. =/

But it's not an "abortion" of RTSs, it just utilizes different approaches to the RTS genre. Unlike LoL which can rightfully enjoy the title of MOBA (because they invented the term, and they were the first Dota-clone to distinguish themselves from their origins by completely changing around their gameplay formula) and thusly focuses around Arena Battles, Dota remains an ARTS, and its gameplay has always focused on a particularly unique permutation of RTS, only centralized around smaller-battles of higher-intensity micromanagement and tactical approach, rather than larger scale battles and base building. It's still very RTS, because the higher you go, the more weighted every action has to be, just like in an RTS, and unlike most MMOs where it's hardest early on due to character weakness and easier when you've got all your overpowered gear. While you get to enjoy the FEELING of that character power leveling without the tedious grind, you're still one misstep away from losing the game if you throw all your efforts away on a botched gank because the strategy just wasn't there (in Dota parlance, this is known as "The EG Throw").

It's not divorced of nor aborted from "proper RTS" at all. It just approaches RTS in a different manner, no different than C&C's mechanics differing completely from SC's or WC3's approach to units focusing on beefier single targets fewer in number as compared to the massive battles found in SC.

Having finally finished the Witcher (a great game, albeit quite long), i am starting to play Witcher 2.
So far, i just can't get into the new gameplay.

I rarelly play games in third person perspective with the gamepad, so it might have to do with that.
But i feel this one is worse that other games i tried from that angle.
As soon as i get into the La Vallette Castle/Temple, i get slaughtered endlessly.
I don't believe it is supposed to happen so early in the game.

Does someone have tips to master it ? Otherwise, i think i would have to rely on god mod to move forward into the story.

I decided to play some Left 4 Dead 2 today and uh...

I must've entered a modded server because the entire place was nuts. The infected could kill you in just a few hits (I'm talking like full health to death in 5 seconds), people were flying around when they jumped, the melee attack would loop the second it started causing an "infinite melee" ability, there was infinite ammo for your gun (obviously, what modded server doesn't have those :lol:) and if you crouched, you would move at a high speed.

Also, your throwables would stay in your inventory even if you threw them giving you infinite throwables (the molotov cocktales being a favorite that I saw) and Adrenaline not wearing off until the next level. It made completing an Expert-Realism campaign a cakewalk even. I found it hilarious honestly and thankfully I later entered a proper lobby, but it was still a pretty funny time.

This video is actually a pretty good representative of what I saw (except for the SI's not moving and the gnomes):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYHWdZ866eo

Last edited:
New "expansion" to path of exile? Thank god i'm free from work for 1-2 weeks! After that i got an urge to do a 100% complete F3 run so i can uninstall it for good.. Or untill i decided to mod the living shit out of it :P Besides this i really have no urge for most games anymore..

Playing Skyrim, of all games. I was really disappointed in it as an RPG when it first came out, but now that I'm just treating it as a hack and slash, I'm having a lot of fun.

As soon as i get into the La Vallette Castle/Temple, i get slaughtered endlessly.

Does someone have tips to master it ? Otherwise, i think i would have to rely on god mod to move forward into the story.

It's been quite a while since I played Witcher 2, but I do remember that combat took a little while to master. Combat does get easier as you level up.

I seem recall that I did well if I used rolls to avoid enemies, saved power attacks for heavily armored opponents, and used spells to set traps. Alchemy was, sadly, not really worth it.

Last edited:
Picked up GTAV again after a good 8-or-so-month-long hiatus. Was just more interested in Dota2, Bioshock Infinite, or other games for a while. Plus I just got tired of Online, and I'd 100%'ed the Single Player campaign, so I was burned out of it for a while. But now I've decided to stick an exercise bike in front of the 52" family TV, and spend a while pedaling away on the bastard while playing a game I could enjoy somewhat leisurely, so I figured to give GTAV another go.

Apart from seeing very quickly how damn rusty I am, it's still wonderful to discover that the game is still enjoyable to play- even if I previously beat it "inside and out". I also found it entertaining when I'd miss a turn or fall behind in a race, and I'd actually PHYSICALLY start pedaling faster in response to my lapse in the game! XD When I stopped playing the game, I was halfway through a "perfect" game, which I decided not to resume this time around, so instead I started a new run, and I'm just taking my sweet time unlocking everything all over again... no fuss if at all possible. Get that sweet multi-multi-billionaire status, knock out those stunts, track down those collectibles, own everything under the sun, earn gold for every Mission, and by then I'll have most likely spent 100 more hours sweating my ass off on that exercise bike... =D

Which is not to say I'm not still playing Dota2... Lately I've run out of heroes to practice, because I've pretty much perfected them all... I mean, there's always more to learn, and I'm positive I don't even know half of what the pros do. But I've practices the toughest heroes until their tricks were second nature to me. I've got Terrorblade down. I've got Meepo down. I've got Invoker down. I've got Pudge down. I was already "good at every hero", but now I'm writing my own hero guides to pass the time, and currently working on my third right now. I'm at a bit of a loss what else I should practice, apart from "everything all over again", so I guess that's just what I'll do: everything all over again! XD

Playing Skyrim, of all games. I was really disappointed in it as an RPG when it first came out, but now that I'm just treating it as a hack and slash, I'm having a lot of fun.

It's been quite a while since I played Witcher 2, but I do remember that combat took a little while to master. Combat does get easier as you level up.

I seem recall that I did well if I used rolls to avoid enemies, saved power attacks for heavily armored opponents, and used spells to set traps. Alchemy was, sadly, not really worth it.

I ended up using a god mode mod, but even there, i lost interest. I am not fond of the shoulder view, and the minimal dialog system.
I might come back to it after i finished some other games.
(playing Metro Redux, FoNV, Borderlands 1, and Wasteland 1-2 "at the same time". I hope i would have finished some of them before the end of september)

So I'm still playing GTAV, but as my obsessive completionist compulsions compelled me to take one particular section of the game really really slowly, and excruciatingly meticulously, I'm both loving returning to the game, as well as incredibly momentarily burned out. I mean damn, stopping EVERYTHING you're doing for the sake of forward progress, all so you can grab every inane and irritatingly out-of-the-way collectible near the beginning of the game, so you can "pass the time" of 10 days on a single character without monotonously abusing the sleep function, so you can ultimately acquire lots of money early on in the least amount of "wasted" in-game days and end the game (a long ways away from now) with THE biggest bankroll for all of your characters possible, is super super busy work. And it's just tedious as balls. Most of it is FINALLY behind me, but having to go through that for 3 straight days is just exhausting.

When I gets to the point where some of my GTAV activities will be rather awkward to conduct on the exercise bike, I'm thinking of popping in Ninja Gaiden Sigma into my PS3 to give it another spin. That's just such a wonderful game (if slightly inferior in terms of narrative, compared to the original) and delightfully challenging and beautiful and well-designed and it's been a few years since I played it last, I once more feel like reliving some of that gameplay in a bit! =D I won't start off at Master Ninja difficulty, however, because NJS is a game which REQUIRES the player be in their top form, so if I were to ever attempt its hardest difficulties, I'd need a few runs through the game on its lower settings, first. That in and of itself is its own level of tiring and tedious, but a change of pace is really what I'm looking to get out of it. I'll return to GTAV fairly quickly, regardless. =)

Either way, RIGHT NOW I'm still just playing GTAV and Dota2. Dota2, meanwhile, recently released Techies into the game, and now people are going crazy with noobish glee and mistakenly picking the hero when they really ought not to, so I'm avoiding public games like the plague until the great majority of that fervor dies down..... which will take a while (cause Techies). XD They also released some other, rather nifty features, so I'm just kinda enjoying tertiary elements of the game while I'm waiting for the average game to have an under 20% incidence of Techies picking. =)

Gonna be SO RICH in GTAV when all these exhausting efforts are said and done, though..... just wait and see.

If you liked the original X-com, you should be playing Xenonauts. It's what I would call a flawed gem.

Cursed Treasure 2. Simple and enjoyable.

ss_gameplay_4.jpg

From a graphical standpoint, Kingdom Rush beat it.

Anyway, does it have more options, more ennemies, more grounds, more challenges ?

I tried many Tower defense games, and i have hard time finding some as good as Kingdom Rush, Alien Defense* and Super Sanctum TD.
(The ennemies react to your tower and their positions*)

Last edited:
I tried Kingdom of Amalur and Fable anniversary.
Fxxx... those games are really terrible...
KoA is just like skyrim without jump it's really stupid
and I should buy Fable:lost chapter rather than anniversary.
now I'm starving thanks to wasting money for those stupid games.

Risen3 is much better than those games..
replaying it makes me feel better.

and tried Wasteland 2 beta.
it's really awesome.

Well.. actually, they are not that terrible..
if terrible controlling is fixed, Fable would be playable and KoA's crafting system and plot itself looks interesting.
but still, Risen 3 is better for me.

From a graphical standpoint, Kingdom Rush beat it.

Anyway, does it have more options, more enemies, more grounds, more challenges ?

I tried many Tower defense games, and i have hard time finding some as good as Kingdom Rush, Alien Defense* and Super Sanctum TD.
(The enemies react to your tower and their positions*)

I like Kingdom Rush as well, but have beaten both games, so I gave Cursed Treasure 2 a go and hey, it's challenging and enjoyable.

Alien Defense* and Super Sanctum TD - I'll have a look at those, thanks. :cool:

Back