@ Hardcore Fallout 1&2 Fan

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Falloutsurvivor, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Depends on what you're looking for. If you hated FO3 mostly for the writing/story, then NV is a step above, and refreshingly good - thus recommended to get now. The mechanics of the gameplay are largely the same though, except for the fact that there's a bit less fighting in general until the very end, so if you ardently hated that, it may be worth waiting a while to get it.

In short, NV plays almost exactly like FO3, but is written more like an actual RPG.

2. Nalano

Nalano Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 20, 2009
    Pretty much this.

If you were into FOs 1 and 2 for the isometric view and turn-based combat, you'll be disappointed. If you were into them for the universe, story and humor, you'll like FONV.

3. Puokki

Puokki Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 4, 2008
    Well, I loved them both in the original Fallouts, so I was more worried about the gameplay mechanics. If the weapon damage is still on the Oblivion- level and game engine the same, I think I'll at least wait for it to get cheaper before buying, but who knows...

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, they now us DT (threshold) instead of DR (resistance), so the damage system itself is a bit different (and molerats don't bite through PA). Melee was also improved a bit, it's more dynamic (though still no targeting). The game engine is identical though.

5. willooi

willooi It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 23, 2010
    The location is called 'Wrecked Highwayman' in the southeast of the world map, and - from the Wiki - directly Northwest of Snyder Prospector Camp and Southwest of Clark Field off of Highway 95. It is a crater like area with a rusty car in the middle.

You can find energy weapon ammo and, if I recall correctly, 10mm ammo in the boot

6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    heh thats pretty much the best reference so far :D

7. Falloutsurvivor

Falloutsurvivor First time out of the vault

Feb 9, 2010
    so do you guy consider New Vegas Canon?

8. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Officially, everything in Fallout 3 and New Vegas is canon, but the main reason Fallout 3 isn't considered canon by a lot of fans isn't necessarily because of how awful its story is, but because of the fact that it was such a departure from previous games in terms of its tone, gameplay style, and location. Fallout 3 is much more of a spin-off than a true sequel to Fallout 2, and while I'm not sure New Vegas takes that place, it comes a hell of a lot closer than anything done in the past and probably everything else we'll get from now on. Stronger and more balanced RPG mechanics, far deeper choice and consequence, a much more living game world, better writing, more logical and cohesive setting, etc. all contribute to make New Vegas a Fallout game in spirit, if not so much in terms of its aesthetics and gameplay style.

9. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Officially both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are canon, it doesn't fall to the fans to decide that, even if some things were retcon'd. I think most people here consider New Vegas canon at least.

10. Nalano

Nalano Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 20, 2009
    Also, because of how awful its story is.

11. Hartigan

Hartigan First time out of the vault

Nov 23, 2005
    The way I see it:

Wasteland = original inspiration
    Fallout/Fallout 2 = "canon", spiritual successors to Wasteland
    Fallout: New Vegas = "semi-canon" spiritual successor to Fallout 2
    Fallout Tactics = "non-canon" yet complete Fallout game
    Fallout 3/Brotherhood of Steel = "non-canon" shitty spin-offs that brought pain and suffering to the Fallout world.

Anyway, did Beth openly state that New Vegas is canon?

12. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Bethesda view it as a side-story to their own official canon, in which Fallout 3 is the main entry and will more or less set the standards for future games.

Yeah, shit's fucked up.

13. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    Tactics is officially considered "semi-canon" fwiw.

lol. that's rich...

A side-story from people who helped create and more importantly understand the series, to a game created by fools who missed the point, raped and shat all over previous canon and subsequently made one of the most idiotic and shallow stories of all time...not to mention the absolute dumbest Fallout game of all time (P.O.S. doesn't even count, imo).

14. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    was the writing in PoS that much worse?

15. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    dunno never played it but the trailer looks promising *do I need really to say I am joking ?*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Xs1tm-9-U&NR=1[/youtube]

16. Falloutsurvivor

Falloutsurvivor First time out of the vault

Feb 9, 2010
    Fallout 3 suck compared to the other fallout game but it wasn't that bad.......

17. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 26, 2008
    Good point. If it had been an entirely new IP then it probably wouldn't have ticked us off so badly. Sadly, since they used the Fallout name, it felt like Todd Howard was slowly violating the corpses of our grandmothers before our very eyes.

I still feel it was a step up from Oblivion in many respects (besides color palette and lack of those in-game novels).

18. BarackSays

BarackSays It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 18, 2008
    I enjoyed Fallout 3 for the most point, and didn't feel like it was a complete travesty like some of my friends did.

Still, even I had to admit that after finishing everything the game had to offer, it just felt shallow.

I still maintain that Point Lookout was an excellent expansion, and one of the best parts in the entire game. I thought it was absolutely fascinating that you actually saw some of the feelings your character was actually feeling. I kinda wish they'd do this more in future Fallout games.

19. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    yeah, i dunno. that was a little too "I can haz Bioshocks?" to me.

Bethesda can eat a dick.

20. BarackSays

BarackSays It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 18, 2008
    I'll eat your dick.