History of NMA

It's a great thread, it's a shame most of the links aren't working. I guess the old boards are finally dead.

I came here in 2004 after having sent some stuff to Per about bugs in the game. I had been in touch with him before I joined here, I think... Maybe Per remembers. I had known of the web site for a long time before that, though, I remember reading the whole "San Andreas Vault" thing and even then it was out of date (Speculation about Fallout 2, albeit humerus). But I can say that this was at the time my first foray into internet forums and, while I can't say I really changed NMA too awful much it did change me.

I remember Psychosniper very much and always wonder, at the same time, why he was banned, and why he wasn't banned sooner. Life is funny. I remember DiamondGypsy came back once. For about five minutes. I read many of her posts and I'm still not convinced such a person could exist. But unlike so much of the internet today NMA is largely people with intelligent individuals who actually can form words into sentences and actually write useful threads. I'm a member of some other forums I don't post on any more. I might not post here every damn day like I used to, but I still come back here. NMA, the first, the best.

Lord 342 said:
It's a great thread, it's a shame most of the links aren't working. I guess the old boards are finally dead.
Nope, they got merged into these boards a while back. So this essentially means you need to search around on these boards.

You can really get lost, stumbling around in the wastelands of the archives,
I have memories of very annoying animated avatars of Psychosniper...

Briosafreak said:
This topic really needs to be made a sticky. The person that could post a lot of stories from the old days is JR Jansen, I'll see if I can remember a few in the next days.

I still hope you find the time to dig up some stories from the days of yore. :wink:

If someone could trick JR Jansen into posting something... he is around since the dark ages or something :)

I've been collecting stuff for my Blog and playing NWN2 during the night, so I don't have much time, but I'll think it over and post something in a few days.

Briosafreak said:
If someone could trick JR Jansen into posting something... he is around since the dark ages or something :)

Well, you tricked me.

First off, let me say that it's nice to see that people are still here after all these years.

I came to this site after buying Fallout 1 and needing some help. So i did a search (yes it DID exist in that time) and found NMA,then run by Miro. I asked some questions when i first entered the forums and later i became the one who answered them. By then i had played F1 a good number of times and was also playing F2. I don't know who it was that gave me that moniker but at one time i was called the guru of Fallout. Now that name probably goes to Per. On the other hand Per used, iinm, dat editors to write his walkthroughs while my knowledge came from playing. That's not to say that Per's guides are bad, mind you.

I wrote a walkthrough for Fallout 1, wich in hindsight could have been better and i did some work on the item database for both Fallout 1 and 2.

Stories from the stoneage. Who asked for that ? Doesn't really matter, i guess. Well, the most that i remembered from those days was that we had one guy (name escapes me) that most people were terrified off. This guy was like Rosh but ten times as bad and did go to far from time to time. Whenever i saw a post from someone complaining about Rosh, i had a good laugh. Anyway, my memories from those days are not as good as they should be. But remember, this was a long time ago. Per was it, has problems remembering things from five years back. And i was here before him...............

Edit : Just remembered another fun storie. I was posting on a number of forums way back when. One of those threads in another forum was about RT vs TB. I was the only one defending TB and made good points but because i was the only one, i got (not by all but by some) rediculed. I came over here and started a 'call to arms thread'. People from NMA came to that forum, made acounts and started posting in that thread. Soon the numbers were on our side and a lot of the posters that were defending RT got disguisted with it because now they were on the receiving end. Just goes to show the power of Fallout.

JR Jansen said:
On the other hand Per used, iinm, dat editors to write his walkthroughs while my knowledge came from playing.

I've never actually... *sniff* played the game. *sob* One day... one day.

Per said:
JR Jansen said:
On the other hand Per used, iinm, dat editors to write his walkthroughs while my knowledge came from playing.

I've never actually... *sniff* played the game. *sob* One day... one day.

Oh, don't feel bad. Think of how i felt when i was reading your walkthroughs and you mentioned some things that even I didn't know off. I guess i'm not that knowledgable after all :cry:

Luxor, it's not like that. Have you seen 'Jason and the Argonauts' ? Well, two of the characters are called Castor and Pollux. Two stonemasons. They often repeat after each other (the exact same thing). Play little tricks on each other. More like that.

This is before my time, still it's funny to read, a newspost from Miroslav in December 1998:
11.December - Matt Norton on Fallout 3; More reviews
After a small discussion I had with Matt Norton, one of the designers of Fallout, I have managed to get some info from him (not that regular "but Fallout 3 has not even been announced"). This is what he said:

We've just started on Fallout 3. Right now we're trying to figure out just what we want it to look like and how we want the engine to work. I don't have much information about the game itself yet other than the fact that we're going to a 3D engine (although using a similar view to the one found in Fallout 2 rather than 1st person). It will not be a multiplayer game.

If you like reading reviews, I have something for you. Gamespot published their review, which by the way you can see here (thanx to Zoolio Grotz for telling me). Desslock has also posted an interesting article on Fallout 2 Bugs. You can read it here. It's quite interesting, and well, not complete. I have encountered several more bugs, and that means that Interplay should start fixing them.

It's 2007 and Fallout 3 still hasn't showed up, and Desslock is still writing about Fallout. :)

And Kharn who is Matt Norton?

Most dramatic NMA newspost:
I am very sorry to inform you that I shall do no more updates on NMA until further notice. This is not because of me, but because "someone" is trying to invade my country, and because I could died tonight. I am sorry, but this is too much for me. After some things gets cleared out, you won't have any updates over here. I have also disabled message boards. Thanx you for (not) understanding. :)

This lasted only six days, although the bombings by NATO in Serbia carried on; it's one of the first newsposts I remember reading at NMA.

Whatever happened to these guys?
Saturday, October 2nd
Clan Report by Miroslav - 08:01 EST
It is my pleasure to inform you of a new Fallout clan. "The Order" was established in February, but I was unaware of their existence until last week. Just like the Unwashed Villagers, the order has it's own small community (ok, Unwashed aren't small, I lied). Official home page is also available. Currently they have 60 members (few more or less, I'm not sure). Like any other clan, the oder also have it's own rules. If you wish to join, feel free to do so. Message Board is also available among other things.
Link: The Order Clan Home Page

This and many more from before the move from Gamestats here
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fallout.gamestats.com (copy and paste this to work)

Briosafreak said:
And Kharn who is Matt Norton?

Design lead of Fallout 2, together with Feargus, though I believe Matt did most of the work. He did a lot of work on the strategy guide too, I think. Don't remember anything else about him, he kind of fell off the radar. We should track him down again.

Also, that newspost from Miroslav that you posted on The Order is actually how I found them. I had never heard of them before then.

PS: I forgot how delightfully bad Miroslav's grammar was.

Some things never die, a very washed forum, the Unwashed Villagers got there, at least, from the optics:

http://www.unwashed.org/forum/index.php

Haven't thought about them for quite a while.

Sunday, October 24th
Heroes of Fallout Canceled by Miroslav - 07:23 EST

Maven Studios ,http://www.milleniastudios.com, announced today that Heroes of Fallout� will not be finished. Feargus Urquhart, Division Director of Black Isle Studios, has asked us in a polite way to discontinue the project. We are unwilling to go into details as they are only between us and Black Isle Studios. But, we are sad to say that Heroes of Fallout� will not be seeing the light of day.
Maven Studio will be contributing to the Fallout community in the next few months though. Screensavers, wallpapers, and more are in the works. Not to mention, employees of us have joined the Wasteland Half-life team. Lastly, I would like to truly thank everyone in the Fallout community for the support over the past month or so. Especially Miroslav of NMA.

Never heard about that one, must have passed my radar fully unnoticed.

Saturday, October 23rd
And Then... Duke Nukem 3D by Miroslav - 18:18 EST
Let's get to work... If you want to download Vault 13 Level and play it in your Duke Nukem 3D game, check in files section under Mods. It's still beta, but I had a good game. Note: it requires Plutonium pak.

That seemed to be the days, much creative energy, but,
I don't think I would have actually tried it, even if would
have noticed it in these days, on the other hand,
people are doing strangest things when they are bored. :?

A Fallout game in the style of Heroes of Might & Magic. Sounds insane, right? Anything was possible in them days...It wasn't an official product, for clarity, it was just semi-officially "ok"d by several devs from BIS, until higher-up told them to go squash, and Urqu had to send them a polite cease and desist.

It wasn't a long-lived project, but to be honest I have no idea what happened with the promised screens/concept arts...

MurkyShadow said:
Some things never die, a very washed forum, the Unwashed Villagers got there, at least, from the optics:

http://www.unwashed.org/forum/index.php

Haven't thought about them for quite a while.
They currently average over 640 posts per member, only counting forum members who have posted at least once. The top ten members forum are responsible for 47% of the forum posts.

As a point of comparison: 54.5 posts per member, and 24% at NMA under the same conditions.

Some statistics that jumped out at me, it has been years since I last checked the UV.

How about 1999?

It really does bring up a special and distant yet familiar feeling.

Anyway, for more history lessons there's this thread, though most of the links won't work unfortunately.

haha, it began way back then...

Voodoo Extreme just made me sick. They reviewed FT and and gave it a 87% score. It's ok, but take a look at this quote:
MicroForte and Interplay found a way to turn an RPG into a great strategy game and kept the spirit of Fallout alive in Fallout Tactics. Any fan of the original Fallout series will, without a doubt, love this game...
Is this another butt licking review or what...

KQX said:
How about 1999?

It really does bring up a special and distant yet familiar feeling.

Oops I didn't see 1999 on the list, but you were using a different URL back then and I totally forgot about gamestats.com.

Why don't you dig up the NMA history thread, it's still kicking around here somewhere, and should have been stickied.

Edit to add, never mind, someone got to it before I did. I still think that one should have been a sticky. :P

lol, memories..

Back