Is F3 a part of the Fallout canon?

korindabar said:
There are some lore inconsistencies here and there but Fallout 3 is canon. People can choose to believe it is or isn't, but that doesn't change what is "official". They aren't going to release a Fallout 4 and say, "You know what, we're retconning all of Fallout 3. Ignore it.". Even if that's what some people hope would happen.
They pretty much did that with the first 2 with alot of things :roll:

korindabar said:
People can choose to believe it is or isn't, but that doesn't change what is "official".

As I've pointed out in this thread, official is not a synonym for canon. FoBoS is official.

I don't consider FO3 canon. Just because it's stupid, and I'm not going to mention any shitty thing since we all know it.
I have to thank FO3 for 2 things tho'.
1. It introduced me to FO1 and 2
2. It sort of created the "necessary tools"(the game in the 3d engine with all the artwork and etc ready for NV for example) for further development by smarter companies. All that while keeping the series up and running. I'll forgive them for FO3 as long as I don't consider it canon. But god oh god please stay the fuck out of east coast unless you don't let obsidian clean up everything you screwed...I want Harold back somehow...

LinkPain said:
As it's own canon it's ok. Too bad it's badly wasted potential.
Yeah, you are right.
But Im not losing hope, maybe just maybe if Bethesda allowed Obsidian to do it, then next Fallout set in CW wouldn't be so bad.

I think the same as you in this way.
Obsidian can help Bethesda a lot, only if Bethesda would take kindly into criticism. They didn't take ours anyway.

I doubt Bethesda will allow Obsidian to make a game set in CW.
Bethesda = East Coast
Obsidian = West Coast

Anyway, as long as Bethesda doesn't have anything (well, mostly anything) to do with West Coast, I'm satisfied.

F3 and NV will never be canon for me. FNV and to a lesser extent tactics are at best enjoyable spin-offs. F3 doesn't exist in "my" Fallout universe.

mor said:
Per said:
mor said:
all this talk about how wrong they where in regard to canon and setting is just a wank.

You are free not to care about canon and setting. I barely care about it myself at this point.
you are free not to care about it but claiming its not canon just because you are upset that you weren't part of FO3 target audience, so looking for cases like the above so you can call FO3 un "canony" to substantiate your feelings is BS.

I'm late to this, but this is the most dumb thing I read in a long time. You not be the target audience of FO3 is OK, but this means that the audience of FO3 is shallow and swallow everything that Bethesda put down their throats without thinking too much.

The new Star Wars trilogy wasn't catered toward the old fans, but they can watch it without so much issues.
Now the "new" Star Trek... :roll:

[ ]'s

In my Fallout Canon, it is. I still think it's a good game and I still sometimes play it, But it wasn't great (fair enough, it was my fav game for awhile but that was more to do with setting)

But the thing with Fallout games, they never fit into one canon. F1 is the only true canon game there is. The games feature many inconstincies.
But if Beth make F4, I hope they don't bring back the enclave.

Fallout 2 fits as does NV. It doesn't connect the dots that much because it makes us connect them, which isn't so hard. Nothing is served to you and you have your own opinion.
So no "baddie/goddie" one side "kill em all" kind of a thing.

As much as it annoys me their's no point calling in 'non-canon' because it is; when Fallout 4 comes out it will recognise the events of the previous and so on.

As people with brains who actually like the Fallout series shouldn't we be trying to fix Bethesda's mistakes by figuring out how they can be explained?

Miwenskee said:
Jax on the other hand states that it's the fans who decide whether the game is a part of the canon or not and if the majority hates it and doesn't want to accept it as such, it isn't.

Whatever your opinion on Fallout 3 is (and around here, it's mostly negative), fans don't get to decide what is and isn't canon; that's unfortunately just not how it works. If it were, then (let's use WoW as an example, because it's popular enough that most gamers will understand the references) the Draenei would still be the Broken natives of Draenor, rather than a faction of uncorrupted Eredar from the planet Argus; the Sin'dorei would never have ben admitted into the Horde; Zul'Jin would still have both of his arms; etc.

It's nice to think that, as long-time fans of the series (in this case, a series that's been "taken over" by a company that's taken it in a completely different direction -- much to the displeasure of the "core fans") your opinions of what is and is not canon should have more weight than the developers. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

brfritos said:
[Now the "new" Star Trek... :roll:

I don't mean to jump off topic much, but I thought the new Star Trek film was fantastic. It takes place in an alternate universe, so there's plenty of creative "wiggle room". The existance of time travel and alternate realities is well-established in Star Trek canon, so I can't see any reason why the new stuff would bother "old" audiences.

I think it's a largely irrelevant question. Canon is a malleable thing. Is Fallout 3 canon? At the moment, yes. The next one could come out and turn the whole thing on its head-- with a flat-out retcon if they wanted to be blunt about it, and with a subtle massaging of setting details if they wanted to be a bit more clever. I'm sure the average original-series fan would be happy with either at this point, just as I'm sure that neither is likely to happen unless Fallout 4 is the product of other minds than those that were behind 3. I'm just saying that canon isn't something to worry about unless you've got one that's close to pristine. In any other situation, there are going to be iterations of a series that you enjoy and iterations that you don't, but most of them are going to be just chockablock with things to pick at either way.

F3 is canon. I don't like it, but there it is. Practically speaking, it's probably not going to matter by the time F4 rolls around, because even if they don't change a thing the next game is only likely to touch on the events in the previous one in the blurriest of ways, and, like every other Fallout game (AND TES game, for that matter) the precise details of the hero's journeys in the former installments are largely going to go unmentioned.

Fallout 3 takes place so far away and is out-of-touch to the other locations, really it could be inhabited by aliens and it wouldn't change a thing on the other side of the country. If a new game crawls its way into our little "Capital Wasteland" then we would have to decide what was cannon. For now I think we should consider Fallout 3 as if the the other 2 didnt exist so call it in its own "little world". Sorry if im too out of the picture here.

Back