NMA Fallout 3 preview and Q&A

SuAside said:
Pete is a rather nice guy btw. i know some people will have a hard time believing that ofc, but he aint a bad sort.

The best liars are those with enough charisma to make people believe the lie or forgive the lie later on. Too bad he's otherwise clueless or a complete sleazeball to be able to lie that efficiently and "professionally". I, as should everyone else, have no respect for a liar of this kind. That they can lie to you without flinching or caring is just a further reason to find them repulsive and unprofessional.

Unless you work at Bethesda, that is, where lying constantly from your ass counts as a job skill.

to be perfectly honest, if pete and/or todd ever left their current jobs at bethesda, i do not think any computer gaming company would hire them. at least not for 5-7 years after the memory of the travesty they have been doing has been forgotten. at least i would hope that other computer game companies have more integrity than that.

Eliezer Havelock said:
The best liars are those with enough charisma to make people believe the lie or forgive the lie later on. Too bad he's otherwise clueless or a complete sleazeball to be able to lie that efficiently and "professionally". I, as should everyone else, have no respect for a liar of this kind. That they can lie to you without flinching or caring is just a further reason to find them repulsive and unprofessional.

Unless you work at Bethesda, that is, where lying constantly from your ass counts as a job skill.
i never believed his lies, nor did i forgive them (i hope that that was clear in our preview). i was simply trying to say that Pete is that guy at the office that does a despicable job (insert whatever you fancy: lawyer defending rapists, loan sharks, etc), but still appears to be an 'alright kinda guy' to go have a beer with.

TheWesDude said:
to be perfectly honest, if pete and/or todd ever left their current jobs at bethesda, i do not think any computer gaming company would hire them. at least not for 5-7 years after the memory of the travesty they have been doing has been forgotten. at least i would hope that other computer game companies have more integrity than that.
bullshit. they'd find a job just fine...

the integrity of many companies are no better than that of Bethesda.

a PR guy who hypes the most advanced AI in computer gaming which is so advanced people posted TONS of videos on youtube and such showing just how advanced it was?

a PR guy who hypes up " soil erosion " when the idea of hyping something as stupid as that when there are much better things to hype is just juvinile.

really lets be honest here, under his direction they hyped the WORST features of oblivion...

i know that when i think of PR trying to hype things, i would hope they have clue #1 in what to hype up.

beths PR dept has shown that they have no clue what to hype.

you're a little naive about how the industry works nowadays, Wes. your points might have been valid 15 years ago, but nowadays? hardly...

He's not naïve. He's just a bit optimistic... Also, where the hell did rosh come from!? :D

Morbus said:
He's not naïve. He's just a bit optimistic... Also, where the hell did rosh come from!? :D

Don't tell me your parents din't tell you?

Well, see, there are bees and birds... but bees are gigant now and I've never seen a bird in the wasteland... and I'll can be damned, but last thing I knew, a bee and a bird can't go and have sex.

Well, that's the point, people. Living in the past.

Fallout was NEVER about modern. Fallout screams retro. It went back to an earlier year of artistic style. It went back to an earlier, proven form of development, as a collection of all the good things stewed up from the primordial ooze of CRPG Evolution. Ultima IV's moral choices. Wasteland's combat. Might and Magic's puzzles. I could add more.

But living in the past is entirely the point of Fallout. A return to successful, proven, and furthermore beloved design and ideals. Fallout was never crassly promoted, but instead built upon word of mouth and to an extent have series longevity with a sequel. That it has survived such trials and spin-offs, without a good sequel in about a decade...that speaks of a lot.

Then we have to ask ourselves: How would the publication be treated? A lot remember Fallout's detail to be much like Ultima and all the other great ones who had love shown to them.

Roshambo said:
Well, that's the point, people. Living in the past.

Fallout was NEVER about modern. Fallout screams retro. It went back to an earlier year of artistic style. It went back to an earlier, proven form of development, as a collection of all the good things stewed up from the primordial ooze of CRPG Evolution. Ultima IV's moral choices. Wasteland's combat. Might and Magic's puzzles. I could add more.

But living in the past is entirely the point of Fallout. A return to successful, proven, and furthermore beloved design and ideals. Fallout was never crassly promoted, but instead built upon word of mouth and to an extent have series longevity with a sequel. That it has survived such trials and spin-offs, without a good sequel in about a decade...that speaks of a lot.

Then we have to ask ourselves: How would the publication be treated? A lot remember Fallout's detail to be much like Ultima and all the other great ones who had love shown to them.

Agreed.

I'd add Wizardry to the mix -- Wizadary, Wasteland and Fallout games where if you see a rope you should take it!

Edit to add: :notworthy:

12 years. That has to be some kind of record.
As to where they are, good question. I guess the old articles are still somewhere, but the links got lost in some site update.

an interesting read after all those years. many points of critique were raised before F3 was even released

Pete Hines: We're making the sequel as we think it would be best in the modern age and how it would work best today. This means taking full advantage of all modern technology and first person to facilitate immersion. There is no reason today not to do so. We also didn't want to make our 'own' series because we want to make a true sequel to the first two Fallouts.
Pete Hines was already full of shit back then. A true sequel to the first two Fallout games, makes a fucking open world FPS.

They of course are not gonna admit that they just bought the franchise for brand recognition and to use it to make Elder Scrolls with guns. Brand new IPs even from recognizable studios tend to be risky ventures, so snatching a well known franchise to make their own bullshit is expected.

Back