NMA Fallout 3 preview and Q&A

SuAside said:
lisac2k said:
Why is this preview so different than hundreds of others? You guys didn't accidentally drink that strange coloured beer made by Lexx's cousin in Leipzig? :P
i tried some local beers but they really cant best the belgian beers...

germans are always quantity over quality anyway, when it comes to food & alcohol. (though the opposite seems to be true for non-alcoholic drinks... really 10cl glasses of fruitjuice at breakfast (had to go get a refill 3 times before i felt like i actually drank something)? 20cl bottle of random industrial appeljuice from Granini on the train for 2.9 euros? OH PLEASE...)

There are just some things you don*t do in Germany :wink:

One of those is ordering something in the train because everyone knows its fucking expensive. The other thing is to eat breakfast at the place were you ate it! 8-)

And:

STOP DISSING OUR BEER HOMEBOY! :mrgreen:

By the way local beer in Leipzig sucks Donkeyballs.

Ontopic:

The preview is really well written and I am sure it will rise NMAs popularity among the hataz!

RayTracer said:
please, don't tell me it was pilsner urquel. It's a czech beer and actually tastes really great. Not as good as some austrian beer labels, but nearly as good :P
If you live anywhere near Vienna you should try Fischerbraeu. Best beer I ever had.

On topic...well, I can only congratulate Brother None again, on a job done extremely well.
Pete's remarks make me want to not think about Fallout 3 for a long time.

The preview is really well written and I am sure it will rise NMAs popularity among the hataz!

There's still a lack of bloom and random profanity, though. I'm sure it'd greatly increase immersion in the forums.

SuAside said:
[...]
Grey_Ghost said:
NMA: In 2004, Tim Cain stated in a PC Zone interview that Fallout's combat was meant to show "how popular and fun turn-based combat could be, when everyone else was going with real-time or pause-based combat.", so why did Bethesda go against that? Wouldn't it also have been a lot easier to not naming the game Fallout 3 and simply naming it "Fallout: Something", thereby starting your own series with your own views without leaving yourself open to much fan criticism?
Pete Hines: We're making the sequel as we think it would be best in the modern age and how it would work best today. This means taking full advantage of all modern technology and first person to facilitate immersion. There is no reason today not to do so. We also didn't want to make our 'own' series because we want to make a true sequel to the first two Fallouts.
As I read the answer to this question my left eye tensed up unintentionally. I've never been happy with what they are doing to Fallout, but I now seem to have a blind hatred for everything related to Bethesda after reading this one... I don't even know how to insult this answer without going into a tirade of expletives like "Motherfucker" which they seem to be so fond of. I don't think I can keep taking this horse hockey they keep regurgitating. Learning more about this faux sequel doesn't seem to be worth my time anymore.
we decided not to comment much on the Q&A and let it speak for itself. the 'retarded by 8 years' comment is a gem too.

Brother None said:
You should've seen the look on SuA's face after he saw it.
First thing I said to him after seeing it was "Best. Game. Ever."
haha. i really have no recollection of my facial traits after the demo.

i'm guessing that the facial traits might have been slightly influenced by Pete's answers to the Tim Cain quote and the 'retrarded by 8 years' part of the Q&A. (though at the same time i was quite happy that i had been able to ask so many questions)[...]

Now my question is how much effort and selfcontrol did it take you (and Brother None for that matter) to surpress your anger and hatred towards Bethesda and Pete during the presentation and not spring into a psychotic rage and jump on Pete, strangling him with the x-boxcontrollercord while screaming "YOU KILLED MY FALLOUT, BITCH!"?

j/k j/k ;)

Very nice review, appreciate it very much.

P.S.:
SuAside said:
[...]edit for stupid wordfilter:
Code:
{I'm trying to say your, you are, or you're, but I'm likely too stupid to know which to use.}'somethingorother

edit2: oh ffs, even in a CODE FIELD? wtf NMA...

U r ' somethingorother beer :)

Urkrostizer?

I like how sneaky you got yourselfes in there ;)

Reminds me of one of my parents friend from Poland.
He and my parents went to an open-air jazz festival. He didn't want to pay the entrance fee, so he took his old student license from Poland, manipulated it a bit...and showed is as a presscard to the entrance guards.

He said he was a reporter from polish jazz magazine JAZZ FORUM (it was completly made up). At first he had a few problems because his presscard looked so strange and nobody had ever heard that a reporter of that magazine was supposed to come.
But later he ended up in the festival director's tent who appologized for all inconviences and welcomed the JAZZ FORUM employee to his festival :)

I guess that guy had his speech/bluff skill maxed out ;)

Fahrplan said:
There are just some things you don*t do in Germany :wink:

One of those is ordering something in the train because everyone knows its fucking expensive. The other thing is to eat breakfast at the place were you ate it! 8-)
well, the breakfast was 'free' at the hotel (we paid through the nose for the room though).

as for drinking on the train, i ran out of my own drinks (spent 9 hours and 7 minutes on the train going to Leipzig and 8 hours and 21 minutes on the way back)

Fahrplan said:
And:
STOP DISSING OUR BEER HOMEBOY! :mrgreen:
By the way local beer in Leipzig sucks Donkeyballs.
i'm belgian. i can diss any beer i want.
though if the local beer around Leipzig sucks particularily, that explains a few things.

Fahrplan said:
fuck the haters. :)

Mura said:
Now my question is how much effort and selfcontrol did it take you (and Brother None for that matter) to surpress your anger and hatred towards Bethesda and Pete during the presentation and not spring into a psychotic rage and jump on Pete, strangling him with the x-boxcontrollercord while screaming "YOU KILLED MY FALLOUT, BITCH!"?
j/k j/k ;)
very little if any selfcontrol at all. Pete really has only little to do with it (though marketing holds its sway in Bethesda, but he probably doesnt know better). he's just the messenger and a likeable man at that.

i did have to restrain myself from starting to point out all the flaws and errors they made in trying to reconstruct Fallout.

Mura said:
Urkrostizer?
no, pretty sure it was 2 words, with an appostrophe or a "-" inbetween.

holy crap this is pure gold, i am so jealous you got to see this. i was hoping you would come back and also say, "this is better than the old games".

heres a few points i have:
you can start a chain reaction by shooting at the no-longer-working-but-still-fuelled engine
surely after 200 years the fuel would have been siphoned out for use in working vehicles or plasma weapons, also the heat from the nuclear blast would of caused them to explode. i don't think they thought that through.

Black said:
Once at the bomb, he tries to use it and a big warning flashes that his skills are insufficient to even interact with it
The same as above. Why not just let the bomb explode and kill the PC?
Oh right, player's ego would suffer- "I DIED- WTF??! TOO HARD!"
fallout dark humour would just blow the pc up, but it would be something like, low per/int causing you to cut the blue wire instead of green!

Disciplined demeanour is also way off the originals, as SuAside never pictured a BoS squad as running around helmetless while constantly flinging insults and macho taunts.
Thats bollocks, it sounds like Gears of War or something, its a pisstake, really it is.

btw, did beth give you refreshments? what did they give you.

spadthebad said:
Thats bollocks, it sounds like Gears of War or something, its a pisstake, really it is.
it really was something bordering "oh yeah! THIS IS HOW WE DO IT BROTHERHOODSTYLE, BITCH!" and "HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, MOTHERFUCKER?".
though not the exact wording, it was something along those lines at the initial BoS encounter. luckily, they piped down.

i wonder if they're not simply using this to point out "how mature" the game is... :roll:
spadthebad said:
btw, did beth give you refreshments? what did they give you.
nope. where americans got tshirts, lunchboxes, coke bottles, bobbleheads and an afterparty, we just got a T-shirt.

spadthebad said:
you can start a chain reaction by shooting at the no-longer-working-but-still-fuelled engine
surely after 200 years the fuel would have been siphoned out for use in working vehicles or plasma weapons, also the heat from the nuclear blast would of caused them to explode. i don't think they thought that through.
Or why the parts weren't scavenged... etc etc. This is really silly. I'm sure they could have found better ways to use environment for fights. Ruins, half fallen billboards, etc. but then they wouldn't have been able to blot the landscape with mushroom clouds.
spadthebad said:
fallout dark humour would just blow the pc up, but it would be something like, low per/int causing you to cut the blue wire instead of green!
The signs seem to have the most character of anything we've been introduced to so far. Except for those protest signs. (Anyone else think it's slightly amusing that protesters held signs at a sealed vault door, one with no windows? maybe that's why they weren't on the guest list. :| )

and yes, the mutants/their roving mini-bosses are straight out of a console shooter.

Great preview, just marvelous. Most of the things I would say have been addressed earlier but this line is really stuck in my craw, "I'll be damned, you're from that vault, Vault 101. *chuckles* I ain't seen one of those jumpsuits in a long time."

If it's a long time, then "No one enters and no one leaves" isn't exactly true. I'm guessing Neeson left the vault earlier (when he was a kid?) and that's why he left again. Possibly something to do with your mother since at this point she's just a womb.

BTW, it was annoying as hell to read "I had to, you have to, and so does everyone." followed by "we are born in the vault, we die in the vault" Just take a sledgehammer to drive your point home, it would be more subtle. Hopefully they're setting up this vault as some kind of super authoritarian place or something.

yeah, it seems rather obvious that there were lies mactbone, so we didnt comment on it. there are a few other snippets like that we didnt directly comment on, because we assumed the readers would pick it up anyway.

mactbone said:
Hopefully they're setting up this vault as some kind of super authoritarian place or something.
that seems to be the case with the police roaming the vaults. (definitely a far cry from the community feel of vaults in FO/FO2. Odd that there hasn't been some kind of revolt in the vault sooner given how much longer they've been shut in/subjected to this. Didn't they have a GECK?

d_agra said:
question

How did ron perlman sound and the whole introduction? sorry if you already discussed it

I think what'll shock people most is that they replaced the "grainy black and white camera stillshot" idea of Fallout 1 and 2 with a "brown worn postcard still" idea.

it is possible that the 101 Vault was never meant to be opened (you know, as a VaultTec experiment?). this would require a highly authoritarian society (since the slightest bit of sabotage could result in making the Vault no longer suitable to be used as a shelter generation after generation.

Great preview and a good read. Good job.

I noticed that bobbleheads seems to have replaced magazines and books as far as raising stats go. Seems to me like it wouldn't have require that much of an effort to put in books and magazines instead of bobbleheads, which just stupid and platformish.

Alot of my "fears" were confirmed, which is too bad.

By the way, how did the overall layout of the world look? Was it linear, or was it infact freeroaming? The notion of looking from the edge of a town out into the waste is something that appeals to me, but so far I've not seen any evidence that this is the case.
To me it looks, and sounds, very much like the world is crammed together and a bit linear in places..

Once again, great job guys

spadthebad said:

Don't forget those engines are nuclear powered (fission, fusion, whatever), thus using some other shit than just fuel, so it could be possible. Plausible? Don't think so.

Great work. Pitty Silencer under NMA didn't make the cut, but I saw that coming a mile away.

I'll donate some denari soon as I get my paypal up and running again. It takes too damn long to put some money into that thing.

Paladin Solo said:
Great work. Pitty Silencer under NMA didn't make the cut, but I saw that coming a mile away.
the official reason given now by Grandstaff is that no communities were allowed yet, only press.

an excuse like any other. LunchPR simply told us it was full. ;)
Paladin Solo said:
I'll donate some denari soon as I get my paypal up and running again. It takes too damn long to put some money into that thing.
thanks.

Back