NMA Fallout 3 preview and Q&A

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    You mean Beck's? ;)

2. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    becks doesnt exactly fit the Ursomething sheme of things, ye know

3. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    There are just some things you don*t do in Germany :wink:

One of those is ordering something in the train because everyone knows its fucking expensive. The other thing is to eat breakfast at the place were you ate it! 8-)

And:

STOP DISSING OUR BEER HOMEBOY! :mrgreen:

By the way local beer in Leipzig sucks Donkeyballs.

Ontopic:

The preview is really well written and I am sure it will rise NMAs popularity among the hataz!

4. anver

anver First time out of the vault

Aug 29, 2007
    If you live anywhere near Vienna you should try Fischerbraeu. Best beer I ever had.

On topic...well, I can only congratulate Brother None again, on a job done extremely well.
    Pete's remarks make me want to not think about Fallout 3 for a long time.

There's still a lack of bloom and random profanity, though. I'm sure it'd greatly increase immersion in the forums.

5. Mura

Mura First time out of the vault

Apr 3, 2007
    Now my question is how much effort and selfcontrol did it take you (and Brother None for that matter) to surpress your anger and hatred towards Bethesda and Pete during the presentation and not spring into a psychotic rage and jump on Pete, strangling him with the x-boxcontrollercord while screaming "YOU KILLED MY FALLOUT, BITCH!"?

j/k j/k ;)

Very nice review, appreciate it very much.

P.S.:
    Urkrostizer?

6. bonanza

bonanza It Wandered In From the Wastes

May 1, 2006
    I like how sneaky you got yourselfes in there ;)

Reminds me of one of my parents friend from Poland.
    He and my parents went to an open-air jazz festival. He didn't want to pay the entrance fee, so he took his old student license from Poland, manipulated it a bit...and showed is as a presscard to the entrance guards.

He said he was a reporter from polish jazz magazine JAZZ FORUM (it was completly made up). At first he had a few problems because his presscard looked so strange and nobody had ever heard that a reporter of that magazine was supposed to come.
    But later he ended up in the festival director's tent who appologized for all inconviences and welcomed the JAZZ FORUM employee to his festival :)

I guess that guy had his speech/bluff skill maxed out ;)

7. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    well, the breakfast was 'free' at the hotel (we paid through the nose for the room though).

as for drinking on the train, i ran out of my own drinks (spent 9 hours and 7 minutes on the train going to Leipzig and 8 hours and 21 minutes on the way back)

i'm belgian. i can diss any beer i want.
    though if the local beer around Leipzig sucks particularily, that explains a few things.

fuck the haters. :)

very little if any selfcontrol at all. Pete really has only little to do with it (though marketing holds its sway in Bethesda, but he probably doesnt know better). he's just the messenger and a likeable man at that.

i did have to restrain myself from starting to point out all the flaws and errors they made in trying to reconstruct Fallout.

no, pretty sure it was 2 words, with an appostrophe or a "-" inbetween.

8. spadthebad

spadthebad First time out of the vault

Jul 10, 2003
    holy crap this is pure gold, i am so jealous you got to see this. i was hoping you would come back and also say, "this is better than the old games".

heres a few points i have:
    surely after 200 years the fuel would have been siphoned out for use in working vehicles or plasma weapons, also the heat from the nuclear blast would of caused them to explode. i don't think they thought that through.

fallout dark humour would just blow the pc up, but it would be something like, low per/int causing you to cut the blue wire instead of green!

Thats bollocks, it sounds like Gears of War or something, its a pisstake, really it is.

btw, did beth give you refreshments? what did they give you.

9. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    it really was something bordering "oh yeah! THIS IS HOW WE DO IT BROTHERHOODSTYLE, BITCH!" and "HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, MOTHERFUCKER?".
    though not the exact wording, it was something along those lines at the initial BoS encounter. luckily, they piped down.

i wonder if they're not simply using this to point out "how mature" the game is... :roll:
    nope. where americans got tshirts, lunchboxes, coke bottles, bobbleheads and an afterparty, we just got a T-shirt.

10. Killzig

Killzig It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 12, 2003
    Or why the parts weren't scavenged... etc etc. This is really silly. I'm sure they could have found better ways to use environment for fights. Ruins, half fallen billboards, etc. but then they wouldn't have been able to blot the landscape with mushroom clouds.
    The signs seem to have the most character of anything we've been introduced to so far. Except for those protest signs. (Anyone else think it's slightly amusing that protesters held signs at a sealed vault door, one with no windows? maybe that's why they weren't on the guest list. :| )

and yes, the mutants/their roving mini-bosses are straight out of a console shooter.

11. Wasteland Stories

Wasteland Stories Mildly Dipped

May 9, 2007
    Great, great ... what about? Oh, GREAT WORK GUYS!

Of course as soon as I can - at RuNMA.

12. mactbone

mactbone First time out of the vault

Jul 26, 2007
    Great preview, just marvelous. Most of the things I would say have been addressed earlier but this line is really stuck in my craw, "I'll be damned, you're from that vault, Vault 101. *chuckles* I ain't seen one of those jumpsuits in a long time."

If it's a long time, then "No one enters and no one leaves" isn't exactly true. I'm guessing Neeson left the vault earlier (when he was a kid?) and that's why he left again. Possibly something to do with your mother since at this point she's just a womb.

BTW, it was annoying as hell to read "I had to, you have to, and so does everyone." followed by "we are born in the vault, we die in the vault" Just take a sledgehammer to drive your point home, it would be more subtle. Hopefully they're setting up this vault as some kind of super authoritarian place or something.

13. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    yeah, it seems rather obvious that there were lies mactbone, so we didnt comment on it. there are a few other snippets like that we didnt directly comment on, because we assumed the readers would pick it up anyway.

14. Killzig

Killzig It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 12, 2003
    that seems to be the case with the police roaming the vaults. (definitely a far cry from the community feel of vaults in FO/FO2. Odd that there hasn't been some kind of revolt in the vault sooner given how much longer they've been shut in/subjected to this. Didn't they have a GECK?

15. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I think what'll shock people most is that they replaced the "grainy black and white camera stillshot" idea of Fallout 1 and 2 with a "brown worn postcard still" idea.

16. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    it is possible that the 101 Vault was never meant to be opened (you know, as a VaultTec experiment?). this would require a highly authoritarian society (since the slightest bit of sabotage could result in making the Vault no longer suitable to be used as a shelter generation after generation.

17. Nova

Nova It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 1, 2006
    Great preview and a good read. Good job.

I noticed that bobbleheads seems to have replaced magazines and books as far as raising stats go. Seems to me like it wouldn't have require that much of an effort to put in books and magazines instead of bobbleheads, which just stupid and platformish.

Alot of my "fears" were confirmed, which is too bad.

By the way, how did the overall layout of the world look? Was it linear, or was it infact freeroaming? The notion of looking from the edge of a town out into the waste is something that appeals to me, but so far I've not seen any evidence that this is the case.
    To me it looks, and sounds, very much like the world is crammed together and a bit linear in places..

Once again, great job guys

18. xu

xu Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Feb 4, 2007
    Don't forget those engines are nuclear powered (fission, fusion, whatever), thus using some other shit than just fuel, so it could be possible. Plausible? Don't think so.

19. Paladin Solo

Paladin Solo So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Nov 7, 2003
    Great work. Pitty Silencer under NMA didn't make the cut, but I saw that coming a mile away.

I'll donate some denari soon as I get my paypal up and running again. It takes too damn long to put some money into that thing.

20. SuAside

Admin

May 27, 2004
    the official reason given now by Grandstaff is that no communities were allowed yet, only press.

an excuse like any other. LunchPR simply told us it was full. ;)
    thanks.