Outer Worlds - Massive Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Atomic Postman, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    No because I firmly believe Mr. House's plan is just bluster and he is not the futurist choice, he is the nostalgia choice. Also, besides the Hope Colony Ship launches the same year as Fallout NV :^)

2. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    Wow. House works fast. The Pre-War government must have set it up to launch before the war.

:)

3. Norzan

Norzan Vault Fossil

Apr 7, 2017
    Four years difference actually.

Not to double post, but i just don't give a shit about this game. I would have probably been all over this game right after finishing New Vegas, but like three years later and i just don't care.

If anything, i want to play New Vegas again instead.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    Honestly, my biggest problem with this game is it really just does feel like Diet Borderlands.

* Evil Megacorps
    * Alien Wasteland
    * Alien Wasteland trying to kill you
    * WACKY party members
    * Psychopathic or dirt stupid locals
    * COLORFUL

5. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    To be honest, Borderlands itself doesn't pull off any of that particularly well.

6. Norzan

Norzan Vault Fossil

Apr 7, 2017
    It doesn't, it's all window dressing for meme references that are outdated by the time the game comes out. Which is why i find insulting when someone says that Borderlands is Fallout in space, an absolutely retarded statement to even make in the first place.

7. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    A shame as I've said elsewhere, because Borderlands premise of a shooter where you play as a mercenary in a comically sardonic and cynical border colony that has literally been forgotten and gone totally mad max is really strong, but squandered.

8. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos I’m not interested in music lessons for children

May 12, 2020
    Yeah I’ve heard that theory, and it’s an interesting idea as far as head canon goes but according to the outer worlds’ own lore it doesn’t work, as their divergence happened in the late 1800s and they were exploring space by the 22nd century, which wouldn’t be possible if a global thermonuclear holocaust occurred just a few decades prior.

Edit: I may be misremembering the lore, but I do know that earth’s world government was formed in the immediate aftermath of the “Great War”, which definitely didn’t happen in fallout.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  9. CT Phipps

Sep 17, 2016
    Fair enough.

Anyway, that's why the space colonization can't get in touch with Earth!

Ulysses nuking shit.

:)

10. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    This was a game I was going to buy day one (solely for Cain and Boyarsky) but then EGS moneyhatted it away from Steam and now I have no interest in it at all basically. Once it finally hits Steam and it's on sale for like 75% off, maybe I'll pick it up for the trading cards maybe. <_<

11. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    I played it just recently, and liked it. Fun lil romp, imo. Coulda been longer and more properly fleshed out, especially the end-game, which kind of just "hey-ho!"'s out of nowhere

One thing I disliked was the game-map gave an impression of a scenery much larger than it really was. I get that the devs probably wanted to show a believable solar system, with planets beyond the ones you'd be able to visit - but gameplay wise, I thought these would be playable for much later on. If a world is there, it's described in ominous terms, as being "too bleak" or "too hot" - my mind is allready imagining things that can go on there. This is like putting a gun on a table in a screenplay, and then never using it for anything. Minor gripe though - although in the end, it contributed to the feeling of the late-game kind of ambushing you.

12. SquidVan

SquidVan Pirate and Bankrobber

Jun 1, 2018
    Why buy a game solely for the steam cards? At least play it if you're going to spend 15 bucks on it.

13. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    I mean, I have to play it to get the cards.

14. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    I just find it odd that that would be the appeal.

15. Proletären

Proletären A Smooth-Skin

Mar 15, 2012
    I never understood the reason for the steam cards. Can you do anything with them?

16. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    I think you can build a set of them and get a discount on certain games. You can also sell them on.

17. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    You can sell them, trade them, make badges with them. The badges give your Steam account XP and levels you up. Also you get a random emoticon and background related to that game when you make a badge. The more levels you have on Steam, the more friends you can have and the more of those profile widgets you can have.

It's kinda ridiculous. I've made a few lvl 5 badges by selling other cards from games and just buying the other ones I needed to finish up mine.

I'd rather spend 15 bucks on something I'd enjoy than 15 bucks on a game I got for... the cards?