Pick up some post-apocalyptic shooters for cheap

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
I think the THQ Online Store is only available to the US and a handful of other countries, but if it works for you, head on over for their sales, which offer quite a few titles for dead cheap, including Metro 2033 for $12.50 and STALKER for $5.00, amongst other attractive deals (Dawn of War I and II, Saints Row II, Titan Quest). You should be able to activate the titles on Steam after purchase, if you so prefer.

Thanks GameBanshee.

I would sincerely like to point out that having tried Fallout 3 (albeit for a few hours) and also played STALKER all the way through multiple times that the latter is the superior title in both RPG features and FPS gameplay. By quite a good amount as well.

Of course given that I couldn't stomach F3 for more than a short time yet I played the 25+ hour run of STALKER multiple times maybe I'm biased.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

*EDIT*

I also should try that Metro2033 based on what others here are saying.

Burrich said:
The Vault Dweller said:
superior title in both RPG features and FPS gameplay.
but STALKER didn't really have any RPG features, unless that's your point.

Now true I admit you couldn't join a faction, but allowing you to become friendly and treated as a member is enough.

There may not have been a "holy/evil" alignment meter, but you had a reputation that served in its place.

Also seven different endings each very different and sensible is a great RPG feature.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Hate as much as you want on F3, but claiming that Stalker has *stronger* RPG mechanics than F3 is just... not that farsighted.

For me, I enjoyed Fallout 3 more. I might have enjoyed Stalker more if not for the crazy shaky camera as you walk/run (which was fixable with a patch) but the FPS elements just weren't all that fun IMO.

Maybe the game gets better later on, but I quit shortly after doing some of the arena fights and some of the quests that involve going underground. Enemies re-appearing too quickly (making for stressful gameplay) was another issue, as well as not being able to carry enough. I guess a lot of this could be fixed with fan-made patches though....

Ultimately I realized that I wasn't having fun. It was more of a chore to play. The equipment and collecting radioactive artifacts was fun though.

On-topic, I might pick up a few of these titles. Like Dawn of War II and the Dark Crusade and Soulstorm expansions maybe... although I did try a Soulstorm demo a while back and found it to be rather uninteresting.

Who made the Metro 2033 game? I wonder if I would like it... I like the FEAR games and Half-Life games. Most other FPS style games bore me. xP

Edit: As for the pricing on these, I did a little research and on average this deal saves you about 50%. You can these games for double the price on eBay. You'd also have a hard copy, but STEAM activation is probably better than a hard copy nowadays.

It's only a 75% off deal if you were going to buy from THQ or more if you were going to buy from a retail store.

Edit 2: You forgot to mention that they only take payment in the form of $$ credit cards $$, so if you usually purchase online thingies with paypal, then you're out of luck.

Oh well, these games aren't really all that costly now, and pretty soon we'll be able to purchase hard copies for about the same price.. give or take 20%. :P

The Vault Dweller said:
I also should try that Metro2033 based on what others here are saying.

Metro is a much more linear game. More like Half Life 2 than stalker.

I have always wanted to try SR 2 but after seeing all the problems people having with it I never dared to buy it.

Stalker is a must have of course for any fan of the PA genre. Stalker+ complete mod = joy.

http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html

3983958055_866bec31df.jpg

Wow, nice deals. Has anyone played the Warhammer games?

I can recommend Company of Heroes. Definitely worth $5.

Never played the expansions, but I'd been meaning to buy them. I believe they allow you to play German and British factions in new campaigns.

PaladinHeart said:
Who made the Metro 2033 game? I wonder if I would like it... I like the FEAR games and Half-Life games. Most other FPS style games bore me. xP

it's made by a Ukrainian company called 4A Games.

I had a lot of fun with it. it's a bit too linear for my taste, and more so than I expected it to be. but still, it's one of the creepiest and most atmospheric games I've ever played. the setting is just fantastic and it's really intense and exciting from start to finish. I actually played the entire FEAR series right after I finished Metro and I felt like that was a bad idea simply because FEAR didn't scare me nearly as much as Metro did. so if you're into shitting your pants, I can highly recommend it. but even if you're not, it's still a beautiful, fun and exciting game.

STALKER on paper sounds like the perfect game for me, but the gameplay is just a swing and a miss. I've tried to get into it several times, but never do.

Fallout 3, however, was great fun. Not amazing, but good enough to support a couple of play throughs - which as a general rule for me, makes it a worth while game to play.

Yeah I played Fallout 3 like 2 times for a total of like 100 hours, but I don't think STALKER is any good. I've read reviews and played it a few minutes at a time, but I don't own the game and don't play it a lot. I still think it sucks though, because Fallout 3 is so much better and I can't help but compare it to F3 and be disappointed. The game isn't too interesting, engine isn't the best.

NiRv4n4 said:
Yeah I played Fallout 3 like 2 times for a total of like 100 hours, but I don't think STALKER is any good. I've read reviews and played it a few minutes at a time, but I don't own the game and don't play it a lot. I still think it sucks though, because Fallout 3 is so much better and I can't help but compare it to F3 and be disappointed. The game isn't too interesting, engine isn't the best.

....you are kidding....right?

NiRv4n4 said:

I think the main problem boils down to Fallout 3 being more accessible. Stalker is.. not, in any way.

I say problem, but it's not really. You can't blame above average games for being accessible.

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
NiRv4n4 said:

....you are kidding....right?

I'm not saying the Fallout engine is better, but he has a point otherwise. But of course this is based on opinions, which are rarely a bad thing when it comes to gaming, right?

Herr Mike said:

I did, huge fan here. 456728% recomended.

Seriously, Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War is to the RTS's what Fallout is to the RPG's: Holy Grail.

Herr Mike said:

I played Dawn of War, yeah. Pretty good, just rote RTS really, but fun.

PainlessDocM said:
I have always wanted to try SR 2 but after seeing all the problems people having with it I never dared to buy it.

I've seen worse, though it's hardly the most stable game out there. At this price I'd take the risk, it's a fun game.

Back