Pick up some post-apocalyptic shooters for cheap

Makenshi said:
Herr Mike said:
Wow, nice deals. Has anyone played the Warhammer games?

I did, huge fan here. 456728% recomended.

Seriously, Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War is to the RTS's what Fallout is to the RPG's: Holy Grail.

DoW is at once a very well-designed and unique style of gameplay while also being a great representation of the WH40K setting. Either of these makes it worth playing, but both makes it a must. If I can say one thing it's that you don't fight for physical resources, but control of "points" which you take by planting your flag. It's much more sensible to imagine then trying to take resource spots.

I played all the games and expansions and the last one online quite a lot competitively.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Ausir said:
A real Warhammer game should be turn-based.

With virtual figurines, which you must paint yourself and store in a virtual box, or they will break and you will have to buy new virtual ones and paint them too.

Khan FurSainty said:
Ausir said:
With virtual figurines, which you must paint yourself and store in a virtual box, or they will break and you will have to buy new virtual ones and paint them too.

A game that tries to duplicate the "paint your own figurine" feature would be interesting, if the software is good.

Still, plenty of decent RTSs based on Warhammer out there, including Dawn of War and probably my favourite RTS; Warhammer: Dark Omen. I prefer TBSs tho, and it'd certainly make more sense.

Brother None said:
Khan FurSainty said:
Ausir said:

A game that tries to duplicate the "paint your own figurine" feature would be interesting, if the software is good.

didn't DoW kinda do this in the sense of letting you choose color scheme and emblem for your units? or does my mind fail me?

aenemic said:
didn't DoW kinda do this in the sense of letting you choose color scheme and emblem for your units? or does my mind fail me?

You can create your own color set + add your own symbol, yes.

aenemic said:

*sputters* You are equating picking a color scheme and emblem to the countless hours spent locked up in mom's basement picking at limbs, gluing together parts and meticulously, lovingly painting each armpit, each skull, each toenail?

*sputters some more*

Brother None said:
aenemic said:

*sputters* You are equating picking a color scheme and emblem to the countless hours spent locked up in mom's basement picking at limbs, gluing together parts and meticulously, lovingly painting each armpit, each skull, each toenail?

*sputters some more*

I kinda would prefer that over painting figurines with a mouse though. (Colour scheme over "hand" painting with the mouse)

Herr Mike said:
Wow, nice deals. Has anyone played the Warhammer games?

Like everyone else here has said, DoW is a great game, especially with some of the mods (the Tyranid and AI mods especially). If you're into Company of Heroes then DoW is actually a step down in gameplay (since it was made before CoH), but if you're into 40k then the setting totally makes up for it. It's one of the few RTSes where I would jump back in every few weeks just to play a single-player skirmish.

DoW 2 is also cool, but radically different gameplay. It's also a technical beast, so you have to make sure your computer is up to it.

Brother None said:
aenemic said:

*sputters some more*

hehe, well not exactly.

oh, the hours I've spent on painting Warhammer figurines. that was always the most fun part for me. I could never afford building a huge army so I put a lot more effort into making the few troops I had look that much more impressive. too bad it wasn't a fashion show, or else it would've been a slaughter I tell you!

I used to makes my livin' painting other people's figurines.

Well, technically, I'd help my brother do it and we split the profit.

Made some good scratch until the local hobby shop went out of business, lousy economy.

Also, I finally picked up Metro 2033 since it was really cheap.

Someone did actually make a turn-based WH40K game for the DS & PSP recently called WH40K: Squad Command.
Unfortunately it didn't review too well. Never having played it myself, I can't really comment.

STALKER, metro 2033, Company of heroes and supcom are all well worth the asking prices in this sale.

metro 2033 is the most expensive of the lot and worth 12.50, though tbh i only played it once. but i had a lot of fun with it and it definitely had the survival horror creepy fps traits just right.

STALKER is an amazing game, but i feel like people comparing it to fallout 3 are just being silly. they're similar mainly in theme and not really in any other way. i also don't consider stalker an RPG, though it does allow you to change your resistance stats with artifacts.

company of heroes is an amazingly good rts. it mixes traditional rts elements with control points that you have to hold which are the same thing the battlefield series has. the game sort of ruined command and conquer for me because now i never want to play that game. well, maybe command and conquer: renegade did that actually.

get out of here stalker.

junkevil said:
STALKER is an amazing game, but i feel like people comparing it to fallout 3 are just being silly. they're similar mainly in theme and not really in any other way. i also don't consider stalker an RPG, though it does allow you to change your resistance stats with artifacts.

I'll also vouch for STALKER here. It's a flawed shooter that uses a pretty thin coat of RPG (an inventory, weapon stats and mild resistance stat system), but the atmosphere is absolutely incredible. Everytime I play it I want to be able to have my character live day-to-day in the game (unfortunately you can't reaaaallllyyy do this).

When you apply some of the mods out there, specifically Oblivion Lost (increase difficulty a ton, improve weapons and atmosphere a ton, increase freedom a bit) and a Russian voice-over mod (text is still English but having everyone speak to you in Russian amplifies the environment big time) it becomes even more enthralling.

As for Metro, I've been wanting to play that for some time, maybe I'll pick it up. Any solid recommendations out there?

aenemic said:
oh, the hours I've spent on painting Warhammer figurines. that was always the most fun part for me. I could never afford building a huge army so I put a lot more effort into making the few troops I had look that much more impressive. too bad it wasn't a fashion show, or else it would've been a slaughter I tell you!

“I’ll be out in a minute Mum”…*Now what did I do with the brush*…does that bring back memories anyone…

Actually that was what my brother use to do, as well he built his own scratch built Orc vehicles, and made some amazing Chaos Marines army. I have to admit that Relic did do a pretty good job of translating the models into a computer game setting.

image-64.jpg

Mungrul said:
WH40k Squad Command

I played Squad Command, and it was an interesting game if not that great. The graphics were impressive for a DS, and it certainly had some layers of strategy, but I just couldn't get over how unwieldy the actual playing of the game was. They clearly tried to optimize the controls as much as possible, but after awhile it just wasn't that fun wrestling units into doing what you want. Also the engine wasn't powerful enough to support more than about a dozen units from what I saw, so the battles were always too small to get really interesting.

Back