Pope Resigns, World Cares (Not)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Tagaziel, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/europe/pope-benedict-resignation/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm reserving judgement. Benedict XVI was a poor pope, especially considering his predecessor, who had the courtesy of not flaunting his ultraconservatism. However, Ratzinger's successor may be even worse, if that's even possible.

Doubt he'll be held accountable for the sex scandal coverups, though.

2. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    What?!

No more Darth Vader / Nazi Pope!

That sucks.

3. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    I am crying harder than when Jong-Il passed :0

4. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Finally. It's been 1081 days since Merkel expressed her „full confidence“ in the Pope.
    Usually people resign much faster when Merkel does that.

5. donperkan

donperkan Vault Senior Citizen

Aug 4, 2011
    Even the sith lord has a master

6. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Just a portent to the coming apocalypse.

7. Gonzalez

Gonzalez Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2004
    I can always count on NMA to inform me about the relevant world news I can't be bothered to find out about myself.

Seriously, on 9/11 if it wasn't because of all the people that was talking about it I would have not found out about it until days later, even weeks. Hell I even saw the second plane hit and the towers fall live, if my sister hadn't woke me up I would have slept right trough it.

That's how I find out about world events, trough rumours mostly.

Back on the subjet, yeah, forgettable pope, but you know, that was probably a good thing. Also, overshadowed by his predecessor, JPII was a huge media figure.

8. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
  9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    What does a Pope do exactly?

10. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Walk slowly, mutter things, wave his trembling hands left and right, and up and down a little. Things like that.

11. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    Is his advanced age really that much of an abberation from other popes? It seems like a false reason considering every other pope has died while holding the position.

12. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Two other popes in history have resigned, but it was like 600 years ago. Yes it's basically an excuse; I'd wager we will learn quite some things about some scandal or another (probably the coverup) before long. Ratzinger probably just wanted to be out of here when it happened.

13. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    It's probably something like alzheimer's, where he'll slowly lose communication and motor functions, which you could get away with 600 years ago, but not today.

14. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    I wonder if the church has the balls to go outside of europe this time.

Now, I'm not expecting a black pope (say Desmond Tutu), but I think there might be some room for a very white looking south-american perhaps?

That said, if I had to gamble, I'd go with Italian.

15. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 26, 2003
    This isn't entirely surprising with all that's been going on in the Vatican lately-- banking scandals, power struggles, et al. I'm not hinting at anything like some shadowy faction forcing him out, but maybe he just got tired of the B.S. and the realities of the position, or he's stepping down because he knows that if he lets the current climate develop until he dies in office and they've got to select the next Pope amidst the muddied clierico-political waters that would chum up, things could get ugly.

16. Wintermind

Wintermind Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 21, 2011
    He also wears a silly hat. And try to take over the world, if you believe the Assassin's Creed Franchise.

17. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Nos eramus Papa.
    Dingus, dongus, venefica mortuus est (aut decedet), nunc est bibendum.

Man, I really need to brush up on my latin again.

/edit:
    The next pope should be from Molvania.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBHfXPqbgI[/youtube]

18. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    There was a feeling that Benedict was elected pope after the passing of John Paul II to be an interim Pope who would just keep thing stable.

John Paul II was well-liked and anyone who followed him would have had tremendous shoes to fill and during a time when the child abuse scandals were tearing up the Church from the inside. For what it was worth, steps were made into keeping the Church stable.

After 8 years, he finds himself unable to do the job he set out to do, for whatever reason, why not let him resign and let someone more outgoing take up the office of the Holy See?

However, if resignation is related to a scandal, fair enough. But I would rather say that he hasn't exactly been sweeping much under the rug during his time as Pope, even though he's done some objectionable things.

19. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
    If he as sweeping things under the rug, we wouldn't know about that, would we? A lot of things can be said about the Vatican. Being sloppy with information control is not one of them.

20. 34thcell

34thcell Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 22, 2008
    Wasn't that what the last pope was doing? That guy that everyone loved?